Twins/Toddler Tuesday

Fun Friday: Starting Solid Foods

allstages_cerealtumblr_mkootjkCm01r7yhvfo1_500

I remember when Sawyer was a baby, I couldn’t  wait to start him on solid food.  I had researched al about how to feed, what to feed, when to feed, by the time he was three months old.  Now, all of the sudden, I realize the girls are almost six months, and I haven’t given it a second thought.  I mean, yes, I have gone through it before… but it was years ago, and I was so sleep deprived with Sawyer everything is just a cloudy haze in my memory.

So, I innocently thought I would just pop online to jog my memory a bit.  Now, I understand that parenting changes.  It is a very fluid topic.  When I was a baby they told my mom to put me to sleep on my belly, and now we only let babies sleep on their backs.  When my mom was pregnant with me she smoked.  You would never smoke today while pregnant.  But, in these cases we are talking about a thirty year gap.  Who would have thought that in less than three years the information on feeding your baby could change so drastically?

The first thing I read about was baby led weaning.  I assumed this had something to do with stopping nursing, but no.  It is the latest trend in feeding your child.

What is baby-led weaning?

Baby-led weaning  (often abbreviated to BLW) means forgetting baby purées and weaning spoons and  simply letting your baby feed himself. Many parents unconsciously choose  baby-led weaning, particularly with second or subsequent children. Babies love  to copy their older siblings and try to grab food from their plates and are  often much happier if they are allowed to feed themselves.

Hmm. sounds interesting, I thought.  So basically, you cut everything up and let your kids feed themselves.  Okay, I am open, I am hip (or so I tell myself).  Yet, as I started to wrap my brain around this new process, I found conflicting information on the same website.

Starting solids

By about six months of age, you’ll probably start  noticing signs that your baby  is ready to expand her diet. By now, she’ll be able to hold her head up by  herself, and will have lost the tongue-thrust extrusion reflex, which means she  can now learn to take more than just liquid food. She’ll also start showing an  interest in your food, looking at your meals and possibly reaching for your  plate.
Of course, this doesn’t mean your baby is able to sit down with a  knife and fork. A baby’s first solid foods aren’t solid at all; in fact, first  foods should be semi-liquid, as eating is a skill your baby will learn  gradually.

Okay.  So I am still supposed to give liquid cereal and mush?  Okay, well then what’s changed?  I mean with Sawyer he was eating finger foods by around eight months (those Gerber puffs etc.) so is that still the case?  I thought I was skipping some steps based on the previous article.

Next, I read all about seasoning your baby’s food.  That one, I had kind of thought about with Sawyer.  My mom was on about how we shouldn’t season it too much, and I responded telling her what’s spicy to us would be normal to a child in India and they turn out just fine.  Turns out, studies are now showing that feeding children foods with seasoning (rosemary on potatoes, for example) gives them a wider palate, and makes them less fussy later in life.  Also, since there is a similarity between bland food and processed food, it makes them more likely to make unhealthy choices as children.

Hmmm.  Maybe that’s why Sawyer will eat anything from cream of broccoli soup to butter chicken without complaint?

I still have to do some more research, but it would seem that I have a lot more research to do!  And here I was thinking all I needed to improve on last time was to buy a tarp.  And just when Juno was finally losing all the weight she put on from grazing at Sawyer’s feet when he was learning to eat.  Sigh.

I feel a do what works for you moment coming on ;-p

feeding cloud

About these ads

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

10 thoughts on “Fun Friday: Starting Solid Foods

1. I too did a lot of research i opted for traditional weaning. From 5months i did more a blw from 8months with bread sticks, broccoli, toast, puffs etc
    I do what works for me and Vinnie.

Posted by journey2dfuture | June 28, 2013, 10:23 am
  2. Absolutely do what works for you! When I was going through it with my son, I read all sorts of conflicting information and ended up confusing myself. With my twins I just went with the flow. I am fortunate that none of my children are fussy eaters. I wonder if that’s anything I did or didn’t do, or just pure luck maybe?!

Posted by Dawn Frazier | June 28, 2013, 11:03 am
    • I think I did the same thing as you. :-) I just didn’t over think it and now seeing it all labelled and written down confused me a bit. I think sometimes I think things need to be more difficult than they are. Really the most difficult part is CLEAN UP! LOL

Posted by Shannon | June 28, 2013, 9:22 pm
  3. With my son we started on cereals (made sure to wait until he was 6 months so there weren’t any gastrointestinal issues arising from early start of solids). We pureed the vegetables (peas, carrotts, squash, etc) for a few months when starting out (after we started cereal). Then we mashed these same vegetables. Then we went into baby led weaning by the time he was 8 months old. He was eating all sorts of things by himself. I ignored the no broccoli and garlic rule. We said whatever we were eating for dinner, by the time he was 8 months is what he is going to eat, but his would be pureed, or small pieces. Then by the time he was 10 months, we introduced meats to this routine (never pureed the meats at all). One thing we bought was heinz and gerber fruits int he jars. It was very difficult to make the fruits at home, and preserve the nutrition, so we stuck with organic baby food for those until he was old enough to BLW those. As for the spices, we ALWAYS from the very beginning of purees, mixed in different spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, rosemary, pepper (small amount), just no salt! Now my 3 year old son will eat anything happily (except he doesn’t love steak, unless it is from The Keg) lol…do you really blame him though? Do what works for you and your little one.

Posted by Sarah | June 28, 2013, 1:03 pm
    • Thanks! I think that is very similar to what I did with Sawyer. We just did what worked and didn’t think too much about it. I think seeing it all labelled and written down just makes it seem like more than it is. I like your approach.

Posted by Shannon | June 28, 2013, 9:21 pm
  4. I really love making my own food. We naturally did blw with all my girls without even researching it or knowing better. We also seasoned our homemade purées. Always light on salt but otherwise since we were boiling, steaming or baking most things first, we cooked to our own tastes. We didn’t use any processed cereals or rice, instead we just used whole grain oats and soggy granola.

PS blw is awesome with twins. Makes feeding both at the same time much more manageable.

Posted by Heather C | June 28, 2013, 2:12 pm

1. Pingback: 10 Tips For Starting Solid Food With Twins | A Game of Diapers - August 8, 2013

2. Pingback: The Thursday Review: President’s Choice Organic Baby Food | A Game of Diapers - October 17, 2013

From blonde to brunette because life is too short for boring hair lol My super heroes #twinstagram #twins #hulk #Spiderman #captainamerica #family #avengers

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,765 other followers