Breastfeeding, Twins/Toddler Tuesday

Twin Tuesday: The Great Vitex Experiment

imageAs you know, I have been having issues with my hormones. If you didn’t know take a second to catch up HERE.

After researching and blogging I really decided I wanted to DO something about it (hey, what do you expect from a control freak).

Since I am breastfeeding my options are very limited as to what I can take. I did, however, come across a herbal supplement called Vitex (otherwise known as Chaste Berry). The herb was originally used by monks to help curb their sex drive. Today it is touted as a hormonal regulator that can help regulate estrogen and progesterone, thus helping with PMS symptoms and even help nursing mothers produce more milk.

Sadly, like with most herbs, I couldn’t find a lot of empirical research in terms of clinical studies. Don’t get me wrong, I am a believer in both western medicine and alternative medicine. No surprise since my motto is “do what works for you”. Still, if I am going to put something in my body, I would like to have some.evidence it works and how.

imageI read through hundreds of anecdotal stories both positive and negative. This is not the first time I read about Voted, as I had come across it when we were trying to conceive. People on my boards called it “natural clomid”. I chose to opt for the actual clomid LOL.

So naturally I was hesitant at first, but my mood swings lately are really starting to infere with my life and I am getting desperate.

So, off to the health food store I went and purchased a bottle. Lucky for me it was only $10 (I was prepared for up to $30). I am now taking 3 capsules a day or 1200 mg.

The bottle says it takes three months to see results (which is what most of the supplements I have ever taken say) so I am going to keep my fingers crossed that there are positive results waiting for me at the bottom of the bottle.

wpid-wp-1372380842026.jpgIf you have taken Vitex feel free to comment on your experience. If you are thinking about it, I promise to let you know how it goes.

See also:

Hormones You Are Not My Friend: The Postpartum Return To Fertility

About these ads

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

8 thoughts on “Twin Tuesday: The Great Vitex Experiment

1. I hope this works out for you! When I was having hormone issues, I was put on birth control which worked wonders (once I was put on the right pill). But I’ve never breastfed so I don’t know how that works for breastfeeding moms! Best of Luck Momma! I hope you start feeling better quick!

Posted by lynnc2010 | September 9, 2013, 11:38 am
    • Thanks. When you are breastfeeding you can only take the mini pill. Because of my age and circumstances the pill is not really a good option for me. Once we are done children I was thinking of something like mirena.

Posted by Shannon | September 9, 2013, 6:06 pm
      • Ah I see. The first pill I was put on was the mini pill. It was supposed to be better for PPD but it made things so so so much worse! I requested Mirena but I was told that if you have any hormone/depression issues they don’t recommend it as it can make them worse. Hopefully you find a good balance that works for you!

Posted by lynnc2010 | September 9, 2013, 6:12 pm
      • Sorry to hear about that. Luckily I have never had ppd. In fact, I have been on a happy high since the girls were born, except lately with the mood swings. The Vitex has been amazing and I feel like myself again. Plus it does seem kinda silly to be on birth control when you can’t get pregnant anyways ;-)

Posted by Shannon | September 9, 2013, 7:31 pm
      • Ha ha. Yea. I suppose it does. I am glad that the Vitex is working out for you! :)

Posted by lynnc2010 | September 9, 2013, 8:32 pm
  2. I just bought a bottle of chasteberry to help with crazy PMS and mood swings. Hard to find much info on Google and I found your blog searching WordPress! Look forward to hearing more about how it’s working for you.

Posted by laurachristine06 | September 21, 2013, 7:13 pm
    • It has been almost three months and it has been great. I am taking three a day (instead of the two suggested on the bottle) and I feel a lot more like myself. I am still nursing and havent got my period back so I can’t speak directly to PMS symptoms but it definitely seems to be a helpful drug free alternative to helping with hormones. Good luck!

Posted by Shannon | September 21, 2013, 9:03 pm

1. Pingback: Happy Birthday Girls! Things I Learned From My First Year With Twins | A Game of Diapers - January 3, 2014

#ThrowbackThursday last Christmas #twins #twinstagram A year in hair: 2014
Pretty tame for me actually lol Football Sunday #Steelers #twinstagram

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,790 other followers