Helpful Tips/Advice/Recipes, Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions, PROJECT ME

Happy Birthday Girls! Things I Learned From My First Year With Twins

imageThe girls will be one year old tomorrow and that means that I survived our first year with twins and a toddler (now 3). I would like to share with you some of the wisdom that comes from playing the game of diapers.

wpid-IMAG0314_wm.jpg1. The biggest obstacles you face are the ones that exist in your mind.  If you can conquer them you are free to do anything.

2. In difficulty lies opportunity.  Being a mom will bring out the best in you, giving you strength, courage and patience you never knew you had simply because it is necessity. Our first day out.

3. You can breastfeed twins. What breastfeeding twins looks like.

4. Cherish every day because they go by so fast, you will regret letting them pass you by.

5. Having twins is a lot easier than I thought it would be.wpid-IMAG0271_wm.jpg

6. Yes, you can have kids and pets.  I have two dogs and a cat, two of which are rescues, and while it is a lot of work, it can be done. Having happy kids and happy dogs.

7. Understand that this IS “normal”.  I always hear new moms saying “I just want things to get back to normal”.  Well honey, this is it.  Life is never going to be the way it was, and you will only find peace after you accept that and stop fighting against the current.

8. Vitex is fricking awesome. Mommy Needs Her Vitex…NOW!!!

9. You have a whole new definition of the word “busy”.  I look at people with one baby and think, “wow you must be bored” and yet I remember when I only had one baby and how overwhelmed I often felt.

10. Two years olds can do a lot more than you’d expect if you give them the chance. And terrible twos? Not so terrible. Why the terrible twos weren’t so terrible.

11.  You can lose all the baby weight, even from twins.  However, as an added (probably unwanted) bonus you get a handy carry pouch of skin and you lose your boobs as well. Postpartum Pics

12. Take all the help you can get, and don’t feel bad about it.  Just remember to pay it forward when you have the chance.

wpid-IMAG0288_1_wm.jpg13. You can fit two car seats and a booster seat in the back of a PT Cruiser.

14. Tim Horton’s and McDonald’s play land are great escapes. Us at Tim Horton’s

15. Moving is tough.  Moving with a family is even tougher. Moving with kids.

16. Being a working mom is harder than being a SAHM (for me, not in general). I still have to do everything I did as a SAHM plus working full-time. Back to work.

17. Blogging can help you stay sane on maternity leave. Why I love blogging.

18. Pampers are the best diapers and with coupons and sales you can get them for the cost of no name (plus you get Pampers points). Why I like Pampers.

19. Twins can be born big, and grow fast so don’t stock up too much on small diapers and newborn clothes because you won’t get to use them.

20. While you may have little time to spend on yourself, (I almost never do, and date nights are twice a year) find something you can at least feel good about like reading a book when the kids are in bed, or doing your nails. What “me” time is with three kids.

21. Belong to every points club and membership club you can and you will save a lot of money. Save your money with rewards clubs.

22. Life is not about weathering the storm, it’s about learning to dance in the rain. Almost Christmas with no power and three kids.big family 5

23. Kids can bring you and your partner closer together or pull you apart.  Which one, is up to you.

24. I have the most amazing fiancée in the world.

25. I have the best family in the world.

26. I am so lucky for everything I have and I never knew I could feel so content with my life.

I can’t wait to see what year two will bring.

Happy birthday girls!  I love you so much.  I wouldn’t change you for the world, but I would change the world for you.

About these ads

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

30 thoughts on “Happy Birthday Girls! Things I Learned From My First Year With Twins

1. thank you for sharing this, though I don’t have twins i can relate with many of these (and learn too). happy birthday to your girls.

Posted by Piper's Run | January 3, 2014, 8:09 am
  2. Happy Birthday to your beautiful twins!

Posted by Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth | January 3, 2014, 10:23 am
  3. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. As a mother, I can totally relate with almost all you’ve shared. Who knew going for a haircut could bring such joy! :)

Posted by Homeschool Crafts | January 3, 2014, 10:35 am
  4. What a lovely post! There is so much wisdom here. When the time comes, I will be wracking your momma wisdom for advice (esp since I’m in the GTA too). Happy birthday girls!

Posted by mamaetmaman | January 3, 2014, 11:29 am
    • Oh you are in the GTA too! It’s so nice to connect with locals. I am always here if you ever need advice or an ear you can email me. Thanks so much for reading. You may not realize how strong you are but I could have never read half the stuff I post now when we were TTC, it was too heartbreaking. You rock.

Posted by Shannon | January 3, 2014, 11:38 am
  5. Yes yes yes to number one! Happy birthday to the girls.

Posted by sparrow | January 3, 2014, 12:03 pm
    • Thank you! I am glad you agree. I am surprised it took me this long to figure it out. I guess because when I was young I had no limits so it took a while for me to box myself in to the point where I could realize there is no box. Thanks for stopping by.

Posted by Shannon | January 3, 2014, 12:31 pm
  6. Love that last line!

Posted by linbritt | January 3, 2014, 1:29 pm
  7. They are so beautiful, and so are you! Congratulations and happy birthday!

Posted by momasteblog | January 3, 2014, 2:06 pm
  8. Happy Birthday Girls !

Posted by journey2dfuture | January 4, 2014, 5:55 am
  9. I agree with so much of what you’ve said, especially the pouch tummy. I call it my twin-skin! Pampers are the best and things are never normal again. Although I will say, since my twins have turned four life has become so much easier. Happy birthday girls!

Posted by Olivia FitzGerald | January 4, 2014, 4:15 pm
    • Well I am glad to hear it get easier because now that my son is three he is so much more challenging that I look at the girls and think how easy they are and wonder how I will handle it when they are his age. I am so happy that my skin is finally shrinking and it’s down to less than half the size it once was. If I wore high wasted pants you’d never know! Lol I also realize it’s because of how thin I am, for a while it got worse instead of better because I finally lost that last 10 stubborn pounds that hung on while I was nursing. Thanks for commenting :-)

Posted by Shannon | January 4, 2014, 4:19 pm
  10. Oh yes high waist pants are great for tucking your tummy in! Lol
    I remember when my little boy turned 3, he seemed to become more of handful, but DD was more difficult at 2yrs and became an angel when she turned 3. I’d say you’re over the hump, but you seem to have it sussed anyway. :0)

Posted by Olivia FitzGerald | January 4, 2014, 4:43 pm
    • Yeah the worst will be having two teenage girls the exact same age. That’s when I move out. LOL btw, I just realized that I wasn’t following you necays your aren’t WP, but I added you to my reader and I am looking forward to reading :-)

Posted by Shannon | January 4, 2014, 4:44 pm
      • I think it would be great. I have three brothers and no sisters, always wanted a sister…
        Oh thank you. You’ll see I tend to get myself in a tizzy and be overly dramatic! I am on wordpress.com?? That’s strange. I’m still adapting to life in the blogosphere so my blog has a little way to go yet.

Posted by Olivia FitzGerald | January 4, 2014, 4:53 pm
      • Oh weird. Well I got it now! I just remember the hard time I gave my mom when I was a teenager and I was pretty tame so I can only imagine, but you are right, they also will have eachother to keep them grounded.

Posted by Shannon | January 4, 2014, 5:38 pm
      • Thanks for following my blog. Yup, I was kind of tricky as a teen too.. we’ll see! Chat soon :0)

Posted by Olivia FitzGerald | January 4, 2014, 5:44 pm
  11. Happy (belated) birthday to your twins!!

Posted by Julie | January 13, 2014, 2:07 am

1. Pingback: Sexy Saturdays: Trying To Concieve Twins | A Game of Diapers - January 18, 2014

2. Pingback: Baby Milestones: The Girls At 12 Months Old | A Game of Diapers - January 19, 2014

My super heroes #twinstagram #twins #hulk #Spiderman #captainamerica #family #avengers #babyloss #awareness #miscarriage #babies #pregnancy #infantdeath #childloss #October The twins "giving each other a hand".

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,648 other followers