Top Tens/Lists, What Do You Think?

Top 10: Myths and Facts About Parenting

I am feeling a little precocious today so I wrote a (somewhat sarcastic) top 10 about some common parenting myths (with a few added bonus ones). Please feel free to add your own in the comments section since there really are so many to talk about.

1. We need to have a lot of money before starting a family. Kids are aswpid-image_1_wm.jpg expensive as you make them. While I don’t think that you should go having children when you can’t afford to support yourself, if you make a decent living you can make it work. No child ever died because they had to share a bedroom with their sibling, or was emotionally scarred because they couldn’t take both swimming and gymnastic lessons.

2. Getting pregnant is easy. I am sure it is for some people. And because of those people you think that having unprotected sex one will get you knocked up. Not so. Even for a young healthy couple it may not happen right away, so get your expectations right from the beginning and save yourself some disappointment.

3. Having a baby will bring us closer together. Hopefully it will, but that doesn’t mean it will be pretty. In will involve tired arguments about nothing and being driven to your wit’s end by stupid habits like how he always trying to shove one more diaper in the diaper genie instead of changing it. It can be a rocky road so wear your seatbelt.

wpid-10150223083170144_wm.jpg

The “three wise men” (actually they are all girls) who came to visit me right after we brought home my first baby.

4. I have to give up my cat because I am pregnant. You are joking right? Yes, you probably shouldn’t change the kitty litter, so just wear a mask or get someone else to do it. You actually just as much of a chance of getting toxoplasmosis while pregnant from digging in the garden, but I have never heard of a pregnant women giving up gardening. And yes, you can have pets and kids, it just takes a bit of effort on your part. You wouldn’t give up your child because you are getting a dog, why should it be the other way around?

5. My body will bounce back after pregnancy. Odds are it probably will, especially if you are mindful about diet and exercise. But don’t expect to walk out of the hospital wearing your pre-pregnancy jeans, because after giving birth you still look pregnant! And as for your boobs, whether you breastfeed or not they will probably be just a bit saggier. For more dramatic results get pregnant when you are older or carry more than one baby at a time.

6. Breastfeeding is natural. Sure, it is. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t a skill that both you and your baby must learn, and it certainly doesn’t mean that doesn’t hurt like hell (because it does, at least at the beginning).

wpid-image_1_wm.jpg7. Babies only wake up during the night for the first few months. NOT! Yes, there are some babies who sleep soundly when only six weeks old (apparently I was one of them), but more likely it’s gonna be a while. All three of my kids did not sleep completely through the night until they were 10 months to a year old. And even then, kids always wake up early so say goodbye to sleeping in (unless you lovely partner gets up so you can get some extra shut-eye, love you babe).

8. All babies are the same. You probably don’t consciously think this, but as soon as you think about having another baby in terms of your first, you are making that assumption. Just because you had a tough pregnancy the first time doesn’t mean you will again, or just because your first baby was a great eater doesn’t mean your second won’t be fussy.

big family19. Having my second child will be easier/ harder. That’s right. Both are correct. I found having the second (and third) a lot easier in most ways, but also more difficult because you do have another child to care for (although depending on their age they may be a big help). You really just have to take it one day at a time.

10. We need all that baby stuff. Yes, there are things I thank heavens for like my double stroller and my diaper genie, but a lot of it is overpriced crap that retailers want you to think you need so they can get your money. It’s not about the amount of money you spend on your kids; it’s the amount of time you spend on them that counts.

11. Schedules and routines make things easier. Well, they do and they don’t. I have seen parents who get all into a tizzy when things don’t go according to plan, and that definitely isn’t helping anyone. Be flexible. If your partner is sick and you have to put all the kids to bed yourself, why not just skip bath time for a day or two, or give them their baths in the afternoon while other siblings are napping?wpid-208931_10151509028484474_1890171186_n.png

12. Eventually things will return to normal. No they won’t. Because that version of “normal” is gone. History. This IS your new normal, so get used to it…better yet, embrace it, enjoy it, because you won’t believe how fast it goes by.

13. I don’t like coffee. Oh, you will!

Thanks for reading! Can’t wait to hear what you think.

Related Articles

About these ads

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

42 thoughts on “Top 10: Myths and Facts About Parenting

1. I agree with every long except 13. I don’t drink coffee. I don’t like the smell. I don’t like the taste. Nope. No coffee for me. :)

Posted by Heather C | January 25, 2014, 8:55 am
    • Thanks! I hate coffee too but I have manage to develop a taste for iced coffee. I won’t go near the hot stuff lol have a good weekend.

Posted by Shannon | January 25, 2014, 9:27 am
      • Caffeine really upsets my system so I don’t do any kind of coffee. It seems I’m definitely in the minority though amongst all my momma friends.

Posted by Heather C | January 25, 2014, 10:58 am
      • Good for you! I am the similar. I only have one a day (and Tim Hortons iced coffee is half milk). If I have more than that I go crazy. I drink decaf tea and decaf cola. I know how healthy you are and I think it’s great that you aren’t dependent on coffee like the rest of us. I find you very inspiring :-)

Posted by Shannon | January 25, 2014, 11:05 am
      • Thanks! If it wasn’t for my health problems, I likely would never have stuck with it though. I wasn’t exactly self motivated, more force motivated. Whatever works though, right? Lol.

Posted by Heather C | January 27, 2014, 8:20 am
  2. Great list! I think you nailed it. I don’t even need my alarm clock on most work days anymore. Sad but true!

Posted by Mom2two | January 25, 2014, 9:01 am
    • Thanks. I hate it when they wake you up like a half hour before your alarm goes off so once they are settled you can’t decide whether to just stay up or try to go back to sleep for just 10 minutes :-p thanks for reading.

Posted by Shannon | January 25, 2014, 9:29 am
  3. hahah I tell number 13 to any young person that makes that comment…
    These are really spot on!

Posted by ninjasinstitches | January 25, 2014, 9:16 am
  4. Great points – I especially like the one about your body bouncing back after giving birth. I remember naively packing a nice outfit and dressy shoes to wear home from the hospital when our first was born. Not only were the pants way too tight, I couldn’t even get into the shoes! The maternity clothes I wore on the way to the hospital? They came in very handy on the way home too!

Posted by Book Club Mom | January 25, 2014, 9:34 am
    • Lol I remember packing my body shaping underwear thinking it would help hold in my belly, but I was still so big I couldn’t even get them on. Second time I was happy to stay in maternity clothes the first two months postpartum. Thanks for stopping by!

Posted by Shannon | January 25, 2014, 10:45 am
  5. My kids were both two years old before they slept through, but luckily nobody ever told me they were supposed to sleep through at twelve weeks or whatever (not that I was totally cool with it, but at least I knew it was normal).

Posted by Bronwyn Joy @ Journeys Of The Fabulist | January 25, 2014, 11:56 am
  6. #5: manfriend had no idea! so when I got up to put myself together after giving birth he was like “what happened?!!” Maybe I just gave birth genius.
    #10: people kept asking me where was my wet diaper warmer & I kept telling everyone a cold wet wipe never killed any of my cousins. I worked with a very tight budget.

Posted by narami | January 26, 2014, 3:53 am
  7. Hi Shannon!
    Loved this all…number 7 especially. My baby (14 years old) still doesn’t sleep through the night. I’ve also been known to get 2 a.m. text messages from my other baby (19) just because she still needs mama sometimes. I like #7 way more now thanI did when they were little :-)

Posted by MamaMickTerry | January 26, 2014, 8:52 am
  8. LMAO! Loved it and as for the comment “For more dramatic results get pregnant when you are older or carry more than one baby at a time.” Yeah… I know what you mean there. Had my first son at 32 and the twin sons at 33. Now that I am 51, I sometimes I wish someone had invented hydraulic-support bras!

Posted by babiessuckbraincells | January 26, 2014, 9:17 am
    • Lol, the boob thing has been one of my biggest challenges with my current twin pregnancy (I’m 36 & have 3 older kiddos). A few weeks ago I was simply praying that my boobs wouldn’t fall off in the night, they hurt so bad with my ribs expanding!

Posted by katrina berg | February 3, 2014, 6:14 pm
      • Lol. Mine were damaged with #1 but absolutely ruined after nursing twins for 9 months. Now I joke that I don’t need a bra because I can just tuck them into my socks ;-)

Posted by Shannon | February 3, 2014, 8:06 pm
      • Oh my goodness, yes, I nursed the 1st three kiddos & totally plan on the sock thing…I’m fine with it, just as long as they shrink like they did with the other times!

Posted by katrina berg | February 3, 2014, 8:57 pm
      • You are so lucky to have five children :-)

Posted by Shannon | February 3, 2014, 9:24 pm
      • Yes, definitely blessed. We have a nearly 6 year gap because it took 6 miscarriages to get them here…so glad we didn’t give up! Would you like more after the twin thing settles a bit?

Posted by katrina berg | February 3, 2014, 9:35 pm
      • That is such a loaded question I am afraid I can’t fully respond (at least not on my blog anyway). I will say that working full time with three littles is busy. :-)

Posted by Shannon | February 3, 2014, 9:47 pm
      • Oh it is, I had our first 3 in 3 years and felt like neither my brain or body could do more at the time. Enjoy your 3 littles…promise it becomes clear when the time is right either way. ;)

Posted by katrina berg | February 3, 2014, 10:19 pm
  9. I love this! Also, I have learned to love coffee. I try to start my day with it now. http://mommywarfare.wordpress.com/

Posted by BrittH09 | January 27, 2014, 12:08 am
  10. Those are GREAT! I especially love #6, 7 and 11! 11 really took me a while to be flexible with-I have been that mom that needs to bathe there child every night….bad idea.

Posted by Mom 2 54321 | January 27, 2014, 11:33 pm
    • Thanks! That seems to be the one that bothers most people for some reason?? Personally I didn’t think it was worth risking the safety of the twins when a sponge bath would do just fine. Cheers!

Posted by Shannon | January 28, 2014, 6:46 am
  11. Great post. It’s been a while since I went through this, but this post brought me right back there. And I was glad to make the trip. Thanks!

Posted by Ann Koplow | January 28, 2014, 10:41 pm
  12. A great list Shannon! One we learned early on was the need for all the baby stuff. We found it was best to do everything as simply as possible to keep ourselves sane. So it did require talking with other parents & taking a lot of stuff back and passing stuff along to parents who really would use it. Even when preparing for twins I felt there was really little we needed to add, which has been a relief! Thanks again for your kind words about our-soon-to-arrive twin adventure, great to meet you & looking forward to meeting some of the other amazing gals here on your site!

Posted by katrina berg | February 3, 2014, 6:10 pm
  13. Amen! And #13 was so true! I was a recreational coffee-ist before my second kid. Now i’m a self-medicating Keurig coffeholic

Posted by sarcasmica | February 19, 2014, 2:33 pm
  14. Quite accurate… I used to be in the shower without it being punctuated by my son crying and I would think, “This is the best thing that has ever happened to me,” as the hot water dripped down my back. Maybe it was? Anyway, good entry, and thanks for the like on my blog.

Posted by rachelmich17 | March 4, 2014, 8:01 pm

1. Pingback: Top 10 Ways I Am A “Bad” Mother | A Game of Diapers - January 27, 2014

My super heroes #twinstagram #twins #hulk #Spiderman #captainamerica #family #avengers #babyloss #awareness #miscarriage #babies #pregnancy #infantdeath #childloss #October The twins "giving each other a hand".

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,632 other followers