Top Tens/Lists

Top Ten Reasons I Love Having More Than One Child

If you have one child and are thinking about adding another one into the mix, here are some of the reason’s I really enjoy having more than one child. If you have some of your own feel free to add them in the comment section.

Disclaimer: This article is based on my opinion only. Whether by choice or circumstance, there is nothing wrong with having one child. I am not trying to make people feel bad or inferior since I am sure you could easily write ten reasons about why one child is good.

big family 410. Hand-me-downs.  They are a great money saver, since most kids outgrow their clothes before they wear them out anyway.  This may be tricky if you have a boy and a girl, but you never know.  I actually get to do hand-me-downs with my twins because they are in two different sizes, so bonus for me.

9. Buying in bulk.  I am all about getting value for my money, and things are much cheaper when you can buy in bulk.  Yes, you can buy in bulk no matter how many children you have, with just one the odds of making it through that 2kg box of cereal before it gets soggy are low.

8. They teach each other.  Big brother is big family2always helping his sisters learn new things, and they are always extra responsive when it comes from him.  From teaching his sister how to bounce in the jolly jumper to learning to stand on her own, watching them interact is almost magical to me, and I love it.

7. The kids play together.  I am not solely responsible for entertaining my children.  They can play together while mommy enjoys her coffee (for five minutes anyway before a fight breaks out). I can’t speak for my children, but I know that all the best memories from my childhood are of times I spend with my brother, who to this day is one of my best friends.

big family16. It feels more like a family.  When we just had one child it was like we were a couple plus one.  We still did a lot of couple things we did before just with the baby (going to parties etc.).  But now that we have three, we are truly a family,  We drive a family car, we eat family meals, we hang out with other families etc. etc.

5. Having the second child is exponentially easier than the first.  With our first child, I was a bit overwhelmed and lost at times, but we muddled through.  But with the girls, I was able to actually enjoy parenting, and spent my time wishing the moments would last forever rather than wishing them away. Plus, my son was a big help with the babies, and much-needed company while I was home on maternity leave.

4.  I have more of a legacy.  More children means I have better odds of having grand kids to play with, yay. For me there is just something special about family time with a big family. Plus, ideally one of them will be there to take care of me when I am older.

3. My children aren’t as spoiled.  With three kids they have to learn to share food, toys, attention, etc.  When it was just one, it was all about him, and since the world doesn’t work that way, it’s better to learn early. Ditto for toys from the grandparents.  At least they are spreading the gifts between three kids instead of just one.

2. My children get to be independent.  It is amazing what a child can do if given the chance.  Today my son put his boots on for the first time all by himself.  We were going to walk the dogs and I had bigfamily3asked him to get his things ready while I got the girls set up in the stroller.  He did that, and then decided he could put his boots on himself.  If I had been there to do it for him, he would have never gotten the chance.  And this is just one example of many. Having more children has made me a way more laid back parent, which is less stressful for me and them.  I accept that even if I wanted to I can’t coddle my kids because there just isn’t the time or energy.  If Sawyer wasn’t out of a stroller when the girls were born (he was way before that, of his own accord) he would have had to be because it’s already hard enough pushing around two babies in a double stroller, no way I would do a triple!

1. I get three times the hugs, kisses and “I love you”s. ‘Nuff said.

big family 5

Related Articles

About these ads

About Shannon C

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

15 thoughts on “Top Ten Reasons I Love Having More Than One Child

1. Love it! Having 3 kids was never in my plan but I wouldn’t change it for the world.

Posted by Heather C | January 31, 2014, 8:25 am
  2. Love having more than 1 child!! Its always interesting at our house!! I have my own Entourage’!!!! hehe…. Lots of grandbabies for me to love are coming!!

Posted by vrein11 | January 31, 2014, 10:40 am
  3. I’m excited to add another asap ;)

Posted by journey2dfuture | January 31, 2014, 1:35 pm
  4. All great reasons! The hand-me-downs have worked well at our house with four boys and four different sizes! And I like your legacy point – I’m hoping for a lot of grandkids!

Posted by Book Club Mom | January 31, 2014, 2:38 pm
  5. Is the second one really easier? My husband and I keep going back and forth on whether we’re ready for a second, and it seems like everyone I ask tells me something totally different – either it’ll completely destroy any last shred of happiness and independence that was left after having the first, or the second one just chills everybody out. I don’t know who to listen to anymore!

Posted by Anna Spanos | January 31, 2014, 3:35 pm
    • Well I would say that’s because everyone is different as is every baby. In my case, my son was the first diaper I had ever changed so I was learning everything from scratch. With the girls I already knew how to breastfeed and change diapers etc. Overall I would think two is easier because they play with each other so they do not depend on you. Also in our case we wanted two. I know plenty of people who had a #2 oops baby so you can’t expect them to have the same outlook. Good luck to you whatever you choose.

Posted by Shannon | January 31, 2014, 4:43 pm
  6. This all sounds very true. I obviously love having my boy and girl twins. Maybe we’ll have one more some day! :0)

Posted by Olivia FitzGerald | February 1, 2014, 4:47 am
  7. I was an only child and before our second was born I couldn’t wrap my head around having two kids.. it was like my brain went into a void just attempting.. So it was a great learning experience and to see how much they care for each other (even when they are arguing) is immeasurable.. ;) What a great post!

Posted by ninjasinstitches | February 2, 2014, 8:37 am
  8. I never thought there will be only 15 months between the twins and their baby brother and seriously it sometimes feels like we have triplets. With no family around to help out our life is very complicated but the future looks bright: they ll have same friends, same age appropriate activities and interests so potentially there ll be less drama choosing what family stuff to do together. Plus I hope they will watch each other when they become teenagers :)

Posted by redlipstickmama | February 2, 2014, 3:44 pm
    • If it helps, I would have given my arm to be able to get pregnant when Sawyer was 15 months, so never forget that no matter how tough it gets you are very lucky. Personally, I am all for kids close together. My brother and I were 16 months apart and to this day he is still my best friend :-)

Posted by Shannon | February 2, 2014, 6:14 pm

Have a merry Saturday :-) My new most favourite t shirt!  #twins #dragons #gameofthrones The special moments between twins. #parenting #babies #motherhood  #multiples One day she'll be explaining the computer to me LOL.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,280 other followers