When people ask me about the twins I always find myself gushing about how they are at a great age. While they get into a world of trouble, they are so cute when they do it, it doesn’t seem to register. If they were older and did these things it would be a problem but since because they are babies/toddlers it is adorable.
1. They play with their food. They dig their hands in it, dump it in their laps, spatter it across the wall, feed it to the dogs, pretty much everything but put it in their mouth. Yet, when they do seeing the delight on their face that is brought by chewing a pea, or the happiness in that they fed themselves, it makes your heart melt.
2. They hurl things when they get mad. Yes, this is not a good habit, but when June gets ticked off and throws her bottle it makes me laugh because she is just demonstrating how she is stubborn like her mother, and that she is in fact, a little person with her own personality (thank goodness only one twin is stubborn like me).
3. They bite. Biting is bad, hands down. I was black and blue from Sawyer bites, and luckily the twins have not been very bitey. But occasionally when they get overstimulated, Sansa will flash me a big smile and go for a chomp. It is so cute!
4. They yell. Yes, it hurts my ears but when babies yell or scream but in their baby voices it is like music to my ears.
5. They take their clothes off. I often joke that we have to watch Sansa because she like to strip down and climb on top of things and dance (true story). It’s funny they how they will take of their socks or somehow get out of their pants and then when I ask “where’s your socks?” they will look at their feet almost in surprise they are not there.
6. They “unpack”. They get into the diaper bag and take everything out, they take everything out of the drawers, cupboards, book shelves, and make a horrible mess. Yet, as they examine each item as they take it out, and place it on the floor around them before going in for the next you can see the wonder and amusement on their face gained from something as simple as a spoon or lipstick.
7. They rip up all the Kleenex. When the twins get a hold of the Kleenex box they tear them all out as fast as they can and then tear them up. Then they sit giggling amidst the “snow” rubbing it on their faces, wiping their noses. Another box of tissue wasted, but the price paid for a world of smiles.
8. They feed the dogs. One of my dogs especially is prone to obesity and I try very hard to make sure she does not get anything over and above her diet. Not to mention, specially prepared organic vegetarian baby food is an expensive way to feed your dogs. But they love it. Jessie will sit and catch food scraps in her mouth while the girls giggle and cheer and throw whatever they can at her.
9. They fight with each other. Well, they don’t really fight per se, but if one wants a toy and the other has it, she will act like her sister does not exist and attempt to take it from her. Of course, I intervene when needed but sometimes these altercations become battles of baby wits and they are way more fun than television.
10. They fall asleep anytime, anywhere. As a mother of twins any unexpected nap times are a blessing. Still if an older child fell asleep at the kitchen table eating dinner, it would not be such a Kodak moment.