Blogging Articles for Bloggers, Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions

Drama In The Blogosphere

When another blogger makes you upset…

Yesterday I was reading my blogs as I do most days and I came across a post by a frustrated mother who is pregnant and having issues with one of her kids. Being the understanding person I am and seeing no one had commented I thought I would leave a message. I left what I thought was a nice comment (not that I am perfect and there is always room for interpretation).

No response.

This morning I see this blogger has written an entire post arguing my comment. She seems to think I was insinuating that she was ungrateful to be pregnant, which I was not. However rather than just reply to me she wrote an entire post about it.

I know I am sensitive, and that’s part of what makes me such a caring person but this really upset me.

What’s worse is that upset, I swallowed my pride and left an apology on the new post explaining my position.

No response.

It is like a slap in the face that still stings.

I guess I need a thicker skin but honestly,  I considery readers my “friends”. Not to mention if you are going to put something out there on the internet you shouldn’t be that sensitive about it (or at least know you are sensitive about it)

So to all my fellow bloggers put there if you are unsure about a comment I make on your blog just let me know to my face instead of complaining about it behind my back because that really hurts.

I hope no one ever treats this blogger the way she treated me.

Have you ever encountered blog drama? What did you do? Please share in the comments section.

Namaste

About these ads

About Shannon C

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

43 thoughts on “Drama In The Blogosphere

1. How horrible! I would definitely be upset about this too. I have a cousin (who I no longer speak to) who did the same thing when we were a part of a private blogging community. It sucks. A lot.

Here’s the thing, I totally consider you guys (my blog readers) as friends. We have so much in common and know so much about each other’s lives through blogging. We don’t have to agree on everything. That’s the beauty of it all. Bummer that the other mom doesn’t see that. :(

Posted by Heather C | April 14, 2014, 4:10 pm
    • Thanks Heather! It’s not like I was entering into controversy, just trying to be supportive. After writing this I kept thinking, if you dont want people to comment why have a blog? You can just as easily keep a diary. As usual, you made me feel so much better. Also, the reading time pic you posted on FB of the girls is super cute :-)

Posted by Shannon | April 14, 2014, 4:17 pm
  2. Wow, that’s so unkind. I hope no one ever takes a comment of mine the wrong way.

Posted by gracecharm | April 14, 2014, 4:48 pm
  3. Ugh! I’ve left a few well meant comments that I realized later weren’t phrased as well as I meant, but found folks graciously interpreted the comments in accord with my intention. Then I’ve left a few well worded ones that hit a nerve, but with the recipient bloggers letting me know how they’d interpreted what I’d said–by responsive comment–and thus giving me a chance to clear things up.
    The only blog drama I’ve had so far fortunately happened off blog. I’m sometimes tempted to reflect upon it in a blog, but I just see widespread fallout. So for now, and probably ongoing, I opt for silence. Sometimes it really is the better choice, even if the immediate response is to write a blog tirade!

Posted by Deborah the Closet Monster | April 14, 2014, 5:02 pm
    • True enough. I realize that even writing this post is a little questionable but it was really bothering me so I finally caved. I think .ist people are good about things and I try to be. If it’s something controversial I have no problem with comments that don’t agree with me as long as they don’t attack me personally. Wow, you definitely have me curious about your situation, but I guess I will have to leave it up to my imagination.

Posted by Shannon | April 14, 2014, 6:39 pm
  4. I think if someone has an issue with your comment, or may have taken it the wrong way they should’ve asked for clarification from you and dealt with it that way. I am sorry someone reacted to your comment that way. I hope the blogger you are referring to sees your post and understands there wasn’t any malice behind your words!

Posted by MommaNeedsCoffee | April 14, 2014, 5:39 pm
    • Thanks! That is all I am asking for. In the end I hope she did read my apology, but I guess I’ll never know. I hope you are feeling a little less tired these days, thanks for reading :-)

Posted by Shannon | April 14, 2014, 6:42 pm
  5. Whenever I read comments posted by others, I usually assume positive intent on their behalf. I assume that we’re all good people, and that even when people post weird comments that they’re coming from a place of kindness. That blogger needs to realize that it takes effort and time to comment, and that generally, we comment because we care. Sorry your intentions were misunderstood. I know you are awesome Shannon!

Posted by mamaetmaman | April 14, 2014, 6:20 pm
  6. That stinks :( It’s true that fellow bloggers and followers feel like friends, because you generally follow someone if you care what they have to say and find them relatable on some level. It’s easy to misinterpret something when it’s written out, but it’s really unfortunate since what you said was well intentioned.

Posted by Mom Life Blue Wife | April 14, 2014, 6:20 pm
  7. Ha! She’ll probably write another blog about your apology tomorrow. Lol
    I had something similar happen once where someone asked a question on their blog and I answered it honestly. Then I had two people write very long responses to my comments. They were not happy. What can I say, they asked for my opinion.

Posted by clothedwithjoy | April 14, 2014, 8:14 pm
    • I had something similar to that once but at least she emailed me about it before writing a response (which wasn’t just to me but the dozens who also agreed with me). I am pretty sure she doesnt read my blog or I wouldn’t have written this. I am very upset but not out to start a fight.

I completely agree with you. Don’t ask my opinion if you don’t want to get it! Lol thanks for reading.

Posted by Shannon | April 14, 2014, 8:17 pm
  8. I also always try to be supportive but sometimes it doesn’t always turn out to be the “right” thing to do.

Posted by loveh3 | April 14, 2014, 9:35 pm
  9. I’m so sorry that happened! I would be offended too, how rude!

Posted by Jen | April 14, 2014, 9:41 pm
  10. I’ve been very lucky with comments and commenters. If anything has ever been misinterpreted I’ve had the very good fortune to have others ask me. I’m sorry you experienced that. It does feel bad. :(

Posted by Chatter Master | April 14, 2014, 9:52 pm
  11. I’m always so afraid people will misunderstand my comments and get offended. so much so that sometimes i don’t comment at all. :( its so impossible to know how people will take the things we say.

Posted by journeyformybaby | April 14, 2014, 10:53 pm
    • That is true. From my perspective I love it when people comment on a post, so I have always thought I was doing something nice by taking the time to comment on others, especially when it’s words of encouragement. I suppose you can’t please everyone. Thanks so much for reading :-)

Posted by Shannon | April 14, 2014, 11:17 pm
  12. I try to stay away from drama although it does have a tendency to follow me :( * sigh* I think when we blog we will always have conflict of opinions.

Posted by journey2dfuture | April 15, 2014, 2:40 am
    • I agree, and expect that. What upset me was that she did not ask me about the comment I left (which to me was anything but controversial) and instead wrote a whole post. Sorry to hear you have not been so lucky. Here’s to some drama free blogging.

Posted by Shannon | April 15, 2014, 7:46 am
  13. Unfollow. Many more blogs in the ocean and when they’re all trying to increase readership, you walking away will be enough. Chin up, pet. Interpretation is in the mind of the beholder…

Posted by Sarah @ Pearls of Willsdom | April 15, 2014, 8:00 am
  14. Ouch! That is painful.
    One of the best things I like about blogging is that you encounter and learn to appreciate, (even if you cannot accept ) opposite views. It’s just not done to pounce on specific comments and make a big deal of it.
    Thankfully, no drama on my blog. Though I have wizened up after a couple of such incidents on Facebook. The things people react to… :(

Posted by nirupamaprv | April 15, 2014, 8:38 am
  15. Wow it seems like it took way more energy and time for her to write a whole blog about it instead of just asking you to clarify…I’m sorry! Anywone who has ever read your blog can tell you aren’t a malicious person. I would have gotten my feelings hurt too. Some people, geez!

Posted by Katie Mere | April 15, 2014, 10:05 am
  16. I’ve seen drama on blogs, but mostly I’ve experienced civil people making generous interpretations of comments. Or outright nasty people being outright nasty. I’ve seen that, too, and the blogger either a) moderates it or b) deals with it and when they write a response post at least it seems like the commenter asked for it. But almost always nice people, nice stuff.

Parenting message boards on the other hand…

Posted by Bronwyn Joy @ Journeys Of The Fabulist | April 15, 2014, 11:05 am
    • LOL good point. Parenting ones can be very touchy. I feel so much more “at home” on my IF blogs because everyone is generally so kind and fuzzy ie. My kind of people lol. Thanks for stopping by.

Posted by Shannon | April 15, 2014, 11:25 am
  17. I would have replied to you first for sure! There have been times that comments about my point of view create new blog posts in me but its usually because it made me think of something differently. I would never write something without engaging the commenter.

Posted by talesfrommummyland | April 16, 2014, 7:13 pm
  18. How awful! It’s definitely not what you expect when you try to offer your support. If she did get offended in the slightest she should have talked to you directly about it. At least that way things could have been clarified. That and if a person doesn’t want feedback they shouldn’t ask for feedback or have the option for it to be offered.
    (Love your blog, by the way ^_^ )

Posted by Sherrie | April 18, 2014, 7:18 am
  19. Yikes! Maybe it’s pregnancy hormones? I’m very sensitive too :( but I think if I was going to post something I didn’t want anyone to comment on, I guess I would have at least turned the comments off. Or really I just post privately so I get it out but no one sees the crazy pregnant lady ;)

Sorry you were treated like that!

Posted by Christine | April 18, 2014, 2:48 pm

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,267 other followers