Come on, we have all done it. Seen something in the store or online and thought “Wow! What a great idea”. If we were lucky we had second thoughts, but that usually happens on your second child. Expecting your first you believe you will need all the companies tell you you just can’t live without.
A few things I bought and then never used, regretted later, or things I think are just dumb are:
- Infant sleep positioner. I didn’t realize that babies don’t sleep! Mine slept on me on the sofa for the first four or five months until I gave in and tried cosleeping (best decision ever).
- Baby hats and booties. This one is my fault, I should have learned after we never used any with Sawyer. But expect the twins to be born small and in the midst of Canadian winter, I somehow collected tons of them. Never used a one!
- My Quinny Stroller. I researched strollers up the wazoo but somehow got this one wrong. I also figured at the price ($800 for the set with bassinet) it would be top of the line. Hated it! Luckily, I got it for half price but I ended up dumped even more money into it on accessories (like a cup holder and basket) and on the only compatible car seat (which costs $200!)
- Bucket Car seats. Okay, I admit you do need these, and they are very handy to put on the stroller or use as seats. But after spending $200 on mine I was depressed when at 4.5 months my son had outgrown it! What a waste.
- Car seat seatbelt magnets. Okay, I didn’t buy this one, I saw it at the Baby Show. You can use the magnets to hold back the car seat belts while placing the children in and out to prevent them from getting tangled. If you are laughing, so was I (and the seller was not to happy with me). How do you tangle carseat belts? I mean really? If you can’t handle that maybe you shouldn’t be reproducing. LOL
- Baby Monitors. Okay, if you are rich and famous and have a big house and or yard go for it. In my house the babies are always with me anyways, and if they are in another room and crying, trust me, you’ll hear it!
- XL Superyard. This one I agree is useful. However, I bought one new and only used it for a week. It took up so much space and just got in the way and Sawyer hated being in it. I am hoping it will come in handy for the girls.
- Nursing Cover Up. Yeah, after having to nurse in front of everyone at the hospital my stage fright was gone. It was a pain and silly. I think I used it twice, not for my own modesty but not to offend the company I was with.
- Pee Pee Teepees. Seemed like a good idea. Everyone told me they’d help prevent my son from peeing on me. Yeah, he never peed on me, I never used them and I now have twin girls who think it’s hilarious to pee all over the change table 🙂
So let’s hear it! What have you got suckered into, or seen for sale that just made you laugh. I know we’ve all done it at some point.