Hair and Fashion, Sexy Saturdays, What Do You Think?

Sexy Saturdays: What Does A Mom Look Like?

A question I still have no answer to. What does a mom look like? Or maybe I should say, what kind of mom do I want to look like?

Growing up, describing something with the adjective “mom” in front of it was always derogatory in nature. “Mom jeans”, “mom hair” etc.  Poor moms. I get it. You don’t have time to worry about yourself because your life is full of kids.

Today, with the proliferation of sexy celebrity moms, moms have a newer image (the word MILF was not around in the 80s). I think this is good in that it acknowledges that you have a life beyond motherhood and that you can be a mom and a sexy lady.

Angelina Jolie, fellow mom of multiples.

However, at the same time, us real moms don’t have chefs, trainers, Nannys and maids, making it almost impossible to live up to the expectations celebrities set (don’t even get me started on celebrity pregnancies and baby weight, that’s for another day).

I myself aim for a happy medium? I think? Above all things I am practical. I definitely think about my appearance, but I also think about practicality and comfort. I am not waking my dogs in heels or letting a baby spit up on a designer top.

I am the first to admit sometimes I play it too casual, but I also don’t spend a lot of money on myself (or at least as much as I used to). Then yesterday when I was walking the dogs I saw my reflection in a window. I was taken aback by what I saw. A hot mess! I was wearing running shoes with a skirt (which I so try to avoid), a tank top that was too small (pre-pregnancy) and a cardigan that was too big (“maternity”). It got me thinking, I really need to do something about my style.

The problem is, I don’t know what my style is anymore. Having been pregnant twice in the last three years and in the last year having gone from 110 lbs to 172lbs and now on my way back again, has really warped my body image (not in a negative way per se, just an I don’t know how to dress my body way).

Since I am not working right now most days I don’t bother with my hair or make-up and if its clean its good. I want to step it up.

It’s true. If you have nice hair and make up on you can be wearing sweats and look good. Conversely, you could be wearing a Versace gown, but with messy hair and no make up you will look like crap.

As for my hair, I have now tried to get it cut twice and twice the hairdressers have talked me out of it. I just don’t have time for long hair and I think women with shorter hair look more put together. I plan on making a third attempt soon, but I am still having trouble choosing a style. Do I want to look young or professional or pretty or even…sexy?

They say you have to get lost in order to find yourself which is good because right now I am pretty lost!  Luckily hubby says he will love me no matter what but I still want him to find me attractive.
So as I continue on my journey to style I am curious to know what your opinions. How has being a mom affected your sense of style? Do you think moms have “a look”. How important is your look to you? I look forward to reading your answers.

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children and expecting #4. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

14 thoughts on “Sexy Saturdays: What Does A Mom Look Like?

1. Ironically I wrote this a few weeks ago before Angelina had her breast surgery. Funny that I chose her picture because now that adds even another layer since she had to have her breasts removed. I think she is and always will be sexy.

Posted by secaulfield | May 18, 2013, 2:25 pm
  2. I am struggling with this too. The look of a mom. Or what I should look like. Suddenly, my look is important to me. That’s strange to write since it never was before I was a mom. Even my health. 🙂

Btw, there’s a blog called tolovehonorandvacuum.com and she had a “fight the frump” challenge. Close to the same message found here. I think you’d enjoy it.

Posted by Kayla Dickens | May 18, 2013, 11:02 pm
  3. I still don’t know what a “mom” looks like but a mom looks like you and me. Some days I can look together other days I don’t have time to comb my hair!

Posted by runningafterale | May 19, 2013, 4:37 pm
  4. I know exactly how you feel. I feel like I’ve been pregnant for 3 years and my body is totally not the same shape anymore. It’s also tough in the in between phase where you can’t wear maternity clothes anymore, but don’t want to go buy a whole wardrobe for a size you don’t plan to stay.

Posted by My3Monsters | May 22, 2013, 4:31 pm
  5. Ahh….Motherhood. I have been expressing a desire to be able to do my makeup and hair for a long time now. Unfortunately the reality is that I am home all day every day with my toddler and we live in our pajamas. I don’t see the point to get dressed when at home, as it creates more unnecessary laundry. So, when we do go out, I always try to put time aside for makeup and hair, but it just never happens. Especially because my hair is gray (at 27!) I wish I could get it dyed but I am too nervous to do this, as I have never dyed my hair before. I wish I could straighten it and wear it down, but it’s just not how I am used to doing my hair and to be honest, I never learned how to do makeup and hair like most women did. I see friends who are so put together, but I just don’t have the time. Something always pulls my attention away. Plus I don’t feel good enough about my body and it’s shape to dress well, so why bother with the hair and makeup? I wish I could have nicer clothes, but I can’t see spending $100 on a pair of jeans, or $50/shirt (plus size costs a lot more and most clothes in my size are frumpy anyway) when my old navy $25 jeans will work just fine. To me this is money that we simply do not have, so we choose not to spend it in this way. Sometimes I wish I looked nicer on a daily basis. I don’t even know what my style is. Probably casual comfortable. It is harder to find clothes now that my baby weight has created a significantly large baby bump that looms still, 3 years later. Goodbye one belly and hello two! 😦

Posted by Sarah | June 5, 2013, 1:11 pm
  6. Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The text in your article seem to be running off the screen in Chrome.
    I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I’d
    post to let you know. The style and design look great though!
    Hope you get the issue solved soon. Many thanks

Posted by el paso milfs | July 17, 2013, 12:58 am
  7. Very good article! We are linking to this particularly great content on our website.
    Keep up the good writing.

Posted by Www.Facebook.Com | June 5, 2015, 1:38 am

1. Pingback: Fighting the War Against Breast Cancer With Eye Glasses | A Game of Diapers - December 31, 2013

2. Pingback: Decluttering You Life: What’s In Your Purse? | A Game of Diapers - January 20, 2014

A Game of Diapers