Twins/Toddler Tuesday

Twin Moms Are Freaks of Nature

That’s right. You heard me. Twin moms are freaks of nature, or apparently so says Google. I admit, I do feel like we are freaks (in a good way) sometimes, but…

You see, I was looking for more blogs to add to my feed so I was googling twin mom blogs. As soon as I entered “twin moms” the first result to appear was the above!

Turns out it is in reference to a humourous YouTube video about the things people say to moms of multiples. Crisis averted. LOL

Every day we go for an hour walk (at least) and mostly my response from the public is nice. Sometimes I am surprised by the lack of response, but then again, I am an attention whore :-p

Facebook is another matter though. People are always giving me advice when I didn’t ask for any.

The girls had their four month doctors appointment and I was shocked to discover there is now a 5.5lb difference between them! June is 25.5 inches long and 20lbs and Sansa is 24.5 inches long and 14.5lbs. Sansa is the one who gets the most formula (which has more calories than breastmilk) but she is still smaller. The doctor reminded me that she is well within normal range and that they are two separate people and not to compare them.

When I posted on Facebook about it, I started getting feeding advice from people (and not moms of twins). I am sure they mean well, but I didn’t ask for advice.

Okay, I am being slightly defensive, but I usually like to be the one telling people what to do LOL. I mean if anything they are above and beyond for twins. June is in the 97 percentile for babies her age, nevermind twins, and all on my vegetarian breastmilk. 🙂

I guess my lesson is to quit posting on facebook and stick to my blog. Dually noted.

In the meantime I’ll keep being my freaky self with my wonderfully freaky family 🙂

17 thoughts on “Twin Moms Are Freaks of Nature

1. Such cuties ! Never compare them ! They are two different girls just from the same vag. Simple as. 😉
    Sounds like they are doing amazing. My guy is also on the 97th percentile and my nephew just three months younger is on the 25th ! He’s all skin and bone, He’s formula fed my boy is breast fed. :/.
    I second the unwanted advice on Facebook. When I want advice I ask for it.
    It has gotten better since I detached myself from those people pushing me to do things there way. They soon got message.
    Would you consider doing a day in the list of a twin mum blog?

Posted by journey2dfuture | June 4, 2013, 11:14 am
    • Thanks for the comment. You are so right, they are two different people, sisters who were born at the same time. It is hard not to compare them sometimes though since it’s human nature to see differences over similarities.

As for the advice, well I try to remind myself people mean well, and when you put yourself out there on the net you have to be prepared for.feedback, good or bad.

I am happy to do a day in the life, in fact I was thinking about it. It’s funny because yesterday when I was out for a walk by myself with two dogs, my son and the twins in the double stroller people kept giving me looks like I was crazy or something but the truth is this is normal for me and I don’t know it any other way! LOL

Posted by Shannon | June 4, 2013, 4:28 pm
  2. They sound like they’re doing great! 🙂

Posted by Valerie | June 4, 2013, 12:22 pm
  3. Wow, okay…dually noted!

Posted by Sarah | June 4, 2013, 1:33 pm
  4. They sound like they are doing fantastic! I always wonder if I should talk and say hi to moms or dads of twins since I’m gearing up to have my own, but I never do because my mom always told me not to talk to strangers (read: I’m really shy). My husband, on the other hand has no problem telling them we’re having twins. I need to try it more often because he’s received some great advice (from the right people).

Posted by Carli McKinney | June 4, 2013, 1:58 pm
    • Congrats on the twins. Most of the good advice I have gotten has come from other moms of multiples. Lucky for me, two of my colleagues had twins and I belong to a great FB group. But at the end of the day you have to do what works for you. If you haven’t please read my post on my #1 piece of advice for new parents. I was also lucky that I was already a mom so while two at once was new, caring for a baby wasn’t. If you ever have any questions etc. Feel free to email me at gameofdiapers@outlook.com.

Posted by Shannon | June 4, 2013, 4:33 pm
  5. As a fellow twin mommy, I say keep on being a freak of nature! Bc I am right there with you! 🙂

Posted by stacyrob415 | June 4, 2013, 2:37 pm
  6. I hate getting judged on Facebook! We’re all friends here 😃

Posted by Christie Silver | June 5, 2013, 1:55 am
  7. I think the judging comes for ANY parents. People looove to give their opinion. 🙂 There’s always going to be a bit of comparing with twins, isn’t there? We are so sensitive to other people thinking (or commenting) that one of ours is “ahead” of the other. Our daughter walked first and crawled first. You could tell people were like “hey, what’s up with the boy one? Why is he behind?” They all go at their own pace. And I haven’t seen ANY twin babies who are the same weight! 🙂

Posted by chicachicababies | June 5, 2013, 11:38 am
    • Good point! After having three I know how each child is different but books and magazines all tell you to expect milestones at certain times so if they don’t reach them you are disappointed or if they reach them early you feel like your child is above average. It all balances out in the end anyways 🙂

Posted by Shannon | June 5, 2013, 3:06 pm
  8. lol, we totally are!!! And most twin moms I know would agree 😉 it’s an elite (and exhausted) group. My twins drove home the fact that ALL KIDS ARE DIFFERENT no matter if they are in the same family, same parents, and were in the same womb at the same time. They’re different so you’d better stop comparing them 🙂 FYI the twin commentating does taper off a bit after about a year. I now get “Oh, are they twins?” a lot (my kids are 5, almost 3(x2) and almost 1 so there’s some confusion sometimes with some many kids running around!

Posted by Mama Mia | June 16, 2013, 1:46 am
    • Yeah. I think by the time they are a year they will barely look like sisters, nevermind twins, so I am trying to enjoy it while it lasts. I have found that in real life I get a lot more nice comments than anything else and I enjoy that very much. Get some sleep/coffee 🙂

Posted by Shannon | June 16, 2013, 2:10 pm
      • I enjoy most of the comments too but the repetitive “Wow you have your hands full” (can’t you think of anything else to say? What a beautiful family or something?) gets annoying after the 10th time in a week.

Posted by Mama Mia | June 16, 2013, 5:46 pm
      • I get that a lot (especially when I have all the kids and the two dogs) I just say it’s better to have your hands full than empty 🙂

Posted by Shannon | June 16, 2013, 5:50 pm
      • absolutely! I used to say things like “yep, full of love!” or fun or excitement (whatever I was feeling that particular day)

Posted by Mama Mia | June 23, 2013, 12:12 am