Twins/Toddler Tuesday

Twin Tuesdays: Special Sibling Moments

Growing up my brother and I were very close. We were only 18 months apart in age so we were generally at the same stages at the same time. We would play together for hours in the backyard and at the park.

We remained close in high school and university. We even took some courses together! After university we left home and got an apartment together downtown. We have always been great friends and always will be.

It is that relationship that made me want to have more than one child. Not that there is anything wrong with having just one, it’s just my experience was with two. As an added bonus, having two gives mommy the ability to say “go play with your sister” while she gets some much needed quiet time. πŸ™‚

Today I had the girls in the Jolly Jumper for some activity time. They are still young and don’t quite know how to use it yet, but they enjoy being in it. They like the view and they do swing around a bit.

Sansa was strapped in and kinda hanging and I was encouraging her to move. Sawyer came over and we both started clapping and cheering as she would kick a leg or jerk her arm causing her to move.

Then something special happened.

Sansa loves Sawyer and seeing him come over she immediately broke into a big smile and focused on him. He looked at her and said “I’ll show you” and started jumping up and down. And almost instantly Sansa, for the first time, started jumping up and down too. He taught his baby sister how to jump all by himself.

I know it’s not a huge deal, but it’s the first time something like this has happened and now I am so excited to think of all those wonderful sibling moments I have in store for me. Yes there will be “mommy he took my toy” and “mommy she pulled my hair” but I made a promise to myself that when things get crazy and I start to lose focus I will think back to this day and remember how special family really is.

15 thoughts on “Twin Tuesdays: Special Sibling Moments

1. I love this post Shannon! So amazing, the sibling bond. I grew up as an only child and would never wish that on my child, hence we hope to have a sibling for our little man too. Although there will be a 4-5 year gap between them (unlike your close 18 months). Not sure if this will work out better or worse for us, but time will tell. Family is so special and thank you for sharing yours with us through this blog! πŸ™‚

Posted by Sarah | June 11, 2013, 2:25 pm
    • Thanks so much for the kind words. With my husband, he is four years apart from his sister so they weren’t very close growing up but once the were older (late teens) they grew closer and are pretty close now so it still worked out, and I’m sure it will work out for them too. πŸ™‚

Posted by Shannon | June 11, 2013, 2:31 pm
  2. I had a brother 13 months older than me. We specifically wanted more children for the exact same reason.

My twins are in complete awe over their big sis. Watching them all play together gives ME entertainment. Lol.

Posted by Heather C | June 11, 2013, 6:12 pm
  3. I love this post. My two girls are just over 17 months diff in age and im hoping they will be the best of friends and playmates.

Posted by Mrs Smith | June 11, 2013, 6:47 pm
    • Thanks! I am sure they will be, even if they fight a lot when they are young. Having them that close is great. It’s a lot more work when they are young, but less when they are older (because they are in the same school, do same activities together). I am sure they keep you busy πŸ™‚

Posted by Shannon | June 11, 2013, 7:28 pm
  4. My 2 boys are 21 months apart and I see the older teaching the younger all the time now. It’s so great to see them relying on eachother like that. That’s what it’s all about, right? πŸ™‚

Posted by My3Monsters | June 12, 2013, 12:45 am
  5. mine are 18months apart and best friends…at the moment. (5& 3.5yrs) I’m sure things will change VERY soon!

Posted by linbritt | June 12, 2013, 12:51 pm
  6. I am the middle child with a brother and two sisters in front and a brother and two sisters behind. It’s GREAT! I wish I could have 7 but I have 3 and watching the various dynamics between them is fascinating. They are only 2,2 and 5 but I could spend the entire day watching them play, fight and learn from each other.
    I am looking forward to many more years of sibling fun between them and like you Shannon, I agree family is really special.
    Mo

Posted by Modupe Badmus | June 12, 2013, 8:16 pm

1. Pingback: Top Ten Reasons I Love Having More Than One Child | A Game of Diapers - January 31, 2014

2. Pingback: Mounring the Loss of the Jolly Jumper | A Game of Diapers - July 31, 2014