As you may or may not know, I am addicted to colouring my hair. See My Strange Addiction. For those who don’t know, I colour my hair a lot, I use both professional and drugstore brands and I used to work at a salon. Normally, I would never bother doing a review on hair colour but since I used this product I just had to talk about it.
Normally I am a L’Oreal girl. I use L’Oreal Excellence Cream Colour for permanent. The colour choices aren’t great, but because my hair is rather damaged, it is very gentle on my hair. For semi permanent I like the L’Oreal Colour Gloss. I find it does leave your hair very glossy and being semi permanent, roots aren’t a huge issue. I love the L’Oreal professional hair lightener for highlights or bleach (or the recent ombre I did in my hair).
Then, a month ago John Frieda had a promotion where they would send you a sample of their shampoo, conditioner and coupons, including one for a free box of their new precision foam hair colour (a $14.99 value). I couldn’t pass that up so I applied.
So a few days ago it arrived and off I went to Shopper’s Drug Mart to redeem it. To start off my hair was dark brown with ombre highlights. I was thinking red so I decided to go with a colour called dark cherry brown.
Normally I am very wary of foam haircolours. I have found they have left my hair dry, and there is never enough to get good coverage of my medium length (4-5 inches below the shoulder) hair.
As soon as the girls were settled and Sawyer was watching T.V, I went at it. Here are my comments.
1. I really liked the black gloves it comes with. They are thicker and a better fit than the cheapy filmy ones that come with most colours.
2. The foam dispenser was really easy to use. No pumping, you just squeeze the bottle and out comes foam.
3. NO BURNING OR TINGLING. It wasn’t until I had the colour on for 15 minutes that I realized, wait a minute, I don’t feel a thing! I have never used a colour that didn’t tingle, if not burn.
4. NO HAIRCOLOUR SMELL! Again, I have never used a colour that didn’t smell, if not burn your eyes and nose (even the semi permanents with no ammonia or peroxide). The foam has pretty much no scent at all, which I think is even better than a perfumed one. It has a slight fresh smell that I really like, but it is very subtle. In fact, I can only smell I t now after colouring, and it smells more like a hair product (shampoo or something) rather than that “I just coloured my hair” smell.
5. It wasn’t messy. Going with a reddish colour is usually bad for my bathroom because red is the messiest of all colours. This did not make a mess and washed off surfaces easily. The one flaw is that you have to put a lot of foam on your head (so your head looks white and foamy), so there is a chance for it to end up other places.
6. There was more than enough foam. Unlike other foams that run out, I actually had so much, I couldn’t quite finish the bottle. That is unheard of for me with any colour!
7. It only takes 20 minutes to colour. That is perfect for me. I find the 30 minute ones long (someone always needs me), but with the 10 minute ones there is no room for error and I often leave in too long.
8. It comes with a bottle of conditioner so you have more than enough. I hate ones that come with a little packet that barely covers my ends. And the conditioner was nice, not to heave, with a light scent.
9. The colour came out very even, like the box promised. And…. it didn’t dry out my hair. My hair feels really soft, even better than before a coloured it (which is very rare).
I can’t comment on how it will last or fade but overall I give this product TWO THUMBS UP/ FIVE STARS! The colour looks great and my hair looks glossy and feels healthy.
And that means a lot coming from me. I would recommend it to everyone I know (including you) and I will purchase it again (they have some really nice colours to choose from). Way to go John Frieda! This is how colouring hair in 2013 should be. 🙂
***I would like to add that I am in no way rewarded or reimbursed for this review it is my complete and honest opinion.