Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions

I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant

tlci_didnt_know_i_was_pregnant-show

For those of you who are unaware there is television show on The Learning Channel called I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant.  As you may have guessed, the show re-enacts the stories of women who ended up having a baby never knowing they had conceived.

I do not watch the show but I have caught glimpses here and there (TLC Fridays are Bride Days which is a guilty pleasure of mine).  You know, the car wreck phenomenon.  You don’t want to look, but curiosity overcomes you and you linger before changing the channel.

Then today there was an article in the Huffington Post about a woman who was training for a marathon and thought she had pulled a muscle but ended up giving birth to a six pound baby (and she already had three kids). She had no idea she was pregnant, her husband had a vasectomy (I am going to leave that one alone LOL).

I apologize to any readers who have not had the wonderful experience of being pregnant (women and men) as I am more speaking to moms, but how the heck can you not know you are pregnant?!

Hint one: no period.  As someone who’s period is as high maintenance as J-Lo (sorry if that’s too much information) I get that one or two missed periods might not set off any alarm bells but for nine months in conjunction with any one of a number of pregnancy symptoms.

Fetal Movement: All of my kids danced around in there and you could both feel it and see it, and no amount of gas can compare to the way your entire belly changes shape as your baby rolls over into a new position.

Weight Gain: as I learned from my post on Kate Middleton, there are lots of people out there who don’t show like I do.  But, even a small 6lb baby plus fluids and placenta is an easy 10 extra pounds of stuff you are carrying around.  How did you miss that? Dryer keeps shrinking your clothes?

Pregnancy Tests: You don’t even have to go to a doctor.  Feeling off? You can go buy one for $1.25 at Dollarama and find out you have a bundle of joy on the way.  It’s not rocket science to pee on a stick.

I am totally willing to believe that there are women who don’t realize they are pregnant until further along in their pregnancy (5-6 months) but to be in labour and give birth in a toilet because you thought it was diarrhea? Come on.  Are women that out of touch with their bodies these days?

I am only hoping that most of the stories are made up or elaborated for television because if they aren’t it scares me.  I will leave it at scares rather than be too harsh.

I do apologize that there really is no purpose to today’s post other than to rant about something silly, but I am feeling a little hormonal right now so I figured why not?  I can’t be the only one who finds it hard to believe right?

Oh, and in the interests of not offending anyone, if by some slim chance you are one of these women, I do apologize.  I understand every case if different and I am willing to believe it happens for good reasons, just not that frequently.

17 thoughts on “I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant

1. I couldnt of written this post better myself.
    I dont understand it…

Posted by journey2dfuture | June 30, 2013, 3:30 pm
  2. I knew I was pregnant before I could even get a test to prove it for me. These women are straight lying. Lol.

Posted by Heather C | June 30, 2013, 5:20 pm
    • Yeah, that thought has crossed my mind. They either want attention or were in denial about since for most of the people they were not in situations for having children.

Posted by Shannon | June 30, 2013, 6:33 pm
      • Yeah, I noticed that trend too… Seemed most of the moms were overweight, sort of party style or hectic lifestyles and not planning on having babies, many with recent pregnancies and very young kids too. A better name for the show might be: I don’t know how to use birth control. But then again, I’m very passionate about this subject and these “accidents.”

Posted by Heather C | June 30, 2013, 6:52 pm
      • Ha ha ha!

Posted by Shannon | June 30, 2013, 8:49 pm
      • Sorry am I hence the rant!

Posted by Shannon | June 30, 2013, 8:49 pm
  3. Im convinced these women are in denial. Like you i just dont get how they can miss it. Although now im scared life with throw me a curve ball and show me just how…..

Posted by Mrs Smith | June 30, 2013, 7:05 pm
  4. *will – damn typo !

Posted by Mrs Smith | June 30, 2013, 7:06 pm
  5. TMI but I thought I just had diarrhea when I went into labour (because it’s your body’s natural response to clear out those area’s) LOL. My mom told me I should go to the hospital because she was pretty sure I was in labour. I thought it was just the chicken wings from that night’s dinner. So it is possible to not realize you are in labour sometimes (not because you are out of touch with your body per se, but labour to me was feeling like bad gas and diarrhea. Plus, I was scheduled to be induced that morning, so I was like, “nah this isn’t labour…it’s not 7:30am yet”. I think it was denial, as DS took so long to want to come, stubborn child. I thought for sure they were going to have to crawl up there and drag him out!

There are too many cases for it to be totally believable though! You are right about that, but I think the odd case can hold merit in the truth.

Posted by Sarah | July 1, 2013, 4:08 am
  6. Hahaha I thought I was the only one who thought this way! The stories are pretty ridiculous.

Posted by Zee | July 1, 2013, 11:47 am
  7. Yeah I totally believe it’s denial. They know. They are just doing a very good job of fooling themselves. Someone was telling me about a woman the other day who didn’t know and she was super fit and didn’t even gain weight. Had what looked like a six pack tummy. How do you grow a 6lb baby and not pop out at all? That’s just sooooo weird to me.

Posted by mummyflyingsolo | July 1, 2013, 12:35 pm
    • Yeah, I mean for a 6lb baby you’d have to gain at least 10lbs. That may not seem like much, but when that 10 lbs is moving around and kicking you, you think that would warrant further investigation. LOL

Posted by Shannon | July 1, 2013, 2:14 pm

1. Pingback: Why I Watch 19 Kids and Counting | A Game of Diapers - October 29, 2014