Twins/Toddler Tuesday

Working On Being A Working Mom

A few months ago I wrote a post on being a working mom vs. Being a SAHM. Click here to read. My thesis was that neither is “harder” they are just different in their own way.

Well now that I am starting to transition back into a working mom, let me tell you, it’s hard! (Mind you, I do remember feeling this overwhelmed the first time I went back to work after Sawyer was born so I know it will pass…I hope!) A week in last time I had a melt down on the bus ride home, crying about how I’d never see him again and not understanding how other women do it. But within a few months I was working 45+ hours without giving it a second thought.

Still, I am feeling really pressed for time. I mean, now I have to do all the things I used to do, but I also have to find time to do work on top of that. Since my days were already quite full with three young kids and two dogs, mostly I have been staying up late after everyone is sleeping to get things done. It’s been okay so far, but I am getting pretty tired and I know there is no way I can sustain this. And this is just me getting ready to go back to work. What’s going to happen when I am actually working?! Yikes.

Don’t get me wrong. I do like working and I am looking forward to going back, but I love my family and I am a control freak.Β  Those things don’t go well together. One of my struggles is learning to let go, and I have been doing well with that while on maternity leave. However, once you add the pressure back in, it gets much easier to revert into old habits.

So to all you working moms out there my hats off to you. Hopefully I can learn to find balance and peace and not get too overwhelmed!

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children and expecting #4. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

15 thoughts on “Working On Being A Working Mom

1. Wishing you well, im sure once you back at work a routine will fall in to place.
    Perhaps ask your soon to be husband to lend more of a hand with jobs around the house.

Posted by journey2dfuture | July 28, 2013, 2:34 pm
  2. Sure you’ll adjust and will have it all sorted in no time. Good luck.

Posted by Mrs Smith | July 28, 2013, 3:26 pm
  3. Shannon: Best of luck to you. I know you will be fine. You have done it before. I realize now, of course, you have three children instead of one. But somehow we get it done.

Posted by tarajones10 | July 28, 2013, 3:38 pm
    • Thanks! I still have 5 months left too! I do think it will be different with three and the twins than it was win Sawyer. Heck, with him I went back early on purpose. Now I wish I didn’t have too. πŸ™‚

Posted by Shannon | July 28, 2013, 7:52 pm
  4. Yikes look after yourself mummy! Not enough sleep always ends in meltdown for me. I know it’s easier said than done as I’m also a control freak but really, try to be kind to yourself. Loving your job helps with the transition I’m certain. It at least makes the time away more valuable to you. There will likely be a few little hiccoughs along the way but I’m sure the transition will be smoother than you think. Good luck!! πŸ™‚

Posted by mummyflyingsolo | July 28, 2013, 7:31 pm
  5. I’ve been on both sides and I’m still not sure which one is harder. They both suck for the first several months while our systems accept the change but then they just feel normal. I don’t feel like staying home is hard any more because I have a bunch of tricks up my sleeve. Just as I didn’t feel working was hard because I learned all the secrets to make it by that way too.

Posted by Heather C | July 31, 2013, 8:09 am

1. Pingback: Reading Between The Lines: Summer 2013 | A Game of Diapers - October 16, 2013

2. Pingback: I Want To Go Back To Work…No, I Don’t…Yes I Do. | A Game of Diapers - November 14, 2013

3. Pingback: Parenting Success: 10 Ways I Have Adapted To My Three Year Old | A Game of Diapers - December 2, 2013

4. Pingback: Happy Birthday Girls! Things I Learned From My First Year With Twins | A Game of Diapers - January 3, 2014

A Game of Diapers