Hair and Fashion, Mom Pics, Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions

Making The Cut: Going From Long to Short Hair Pt. 1

It was an amazing feeling. As I walked the dogs, the sun was shining and warm, my music was playing, and the wind was rushing  through my hair and down my neck. Why did I wait so long? I thought.

I’ll tell you why. I have always been concerned about the way I look. I think everyone is deep down, whether they admit it or not. My hair has always been especially important to me because it grows so slowly. So while I colour it way too much (read about my hair colouring addiction here), I rarely cut it. Colour can be fixed, but what’s gone is gone.

When I was young it was all about fashion. Being thin, fit and looking good were paramount. But over the years, I have gained confidence in myself and started to choose function over fashion. I wear glasses instead of contacts, runners instead of heels, and I only wear cross body purses (for when I walk the dogs).

But, I still have to admit there was a lump in my throat when I walked into the salon today.

It’s funny because over the years I have had tons of hair styles from short short hair to 18 inch Great Lengths hair extensions. I was one of the first people to get a Pob (the famous Victoria Beckham cut) and I cut my own hair all the time (bangs and what not).

Still, when I wanted to cut my hair short I thought about it and thought about it. I even tried. Twice! Both times once I got up the courage, time, and money to go, the stylists talked me out of it! But today I was sure. I was going to get it done no matter what. If it looked good or bad, I would deal with it. (Not like when I was 20 and wanted to hurl myself off a cliff because I turned my hair orange.)

What made it different today was my family. I have always known my family (parents, brother) would love me no matter what, but I always have (and I think always will) worry about what people think.

I know. It’s bad. It’s terrible. But I can’t stop.

But now that I am engaged and have three beautiful children, I realize there is so much more to life than your appearance. I also know that even if I was bald they all would love me just as much. I am their mom and his future wife.

So today I cut it all off. I feel happy and free.

And as the wind tousled my newly shortened tresses around my face I had one of the smallest big realizations ever.

It’s only hair.

For before and after photos click here. (link to tomorrow’s post).

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children and expecting #4. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

13 thoughts on “Making The Cut: Going From Long to Short Hair Pt. 1

1. I basically have grown my hair out and then cut it really short my entire life. It’s like a repeating process. Ha Ha! I can’t wait to see pictures!

Posted by momtimes4 | August 22, 2013, 11:26 am
  2. I cut my hair short a few times as a teen and regretted it every time. I’m glad you love yours though. Shoulder length is as short as I go these days. It’s mid back right now though. 🙂

Posted by Heather C | August 22, 2013, 12:16 pm
    • I figured what’s the point when I just put it in a ponytail 95% of the time. I can’t do big fancy dos anymore so I lost that 5% but it looks better the other 95% so I think it’s worth it.

Posted by Shannon | August 22, 2013, 12:44 pm
      • I have two really big and messy cowlicks. If I cut my hair, theirs not enough weight to pull it out and I end up with a weird bubble on top and shelf in back. It’s not cool. If its styled it does look cute but I simply can’t replicate the stylists work no matter how hard I try. And 99 times out of 100 I need a dry and go type thing.

Posted by Heather C | August 22, 2013, 8:31 pm
      • You mean you don’t want to be a bubble head LOL. I am lucky, no cowlicks.

Posted by Shannon | August 22, 2013, 9:34 pm
      • Egggggxactly 🙂 I am trying to make a conscious effort to do something with my hair other than what I call a “runners bun” Most days anyway.

Posted by Heather C | August 22, 2013, 11:44 pm
  3. Awww my computer won’t let me see the pics…I think that is one of the best things about “growing up” is being more comfortable with yourself….

Posted by ninjasinstitches | August 22, 2013, 12:24 pm
  4. Can’t wait to see the pics!!!!!

Posted by Melissa | August 22, 2013, 2:58 pm
  5. I will be fantasizing about your hair until your next post…:P

Posted by kukolina | August 23, 2013, 10:29 am

1. Pingback: The Many Colours of 2013: A Year of Hairstyles | A Game of Diapers - December 31, 2013

2. Pingback: The Thursday Review: Industry Hairdressing Toronto | A Game of Diapers - January 2, 2014

3. Pingback: The Thursday Review: L’Oreal Colorist Secret Brass Banisher | A Game of Diapers - February 19, 2015

A Game of Diapers