Twins/Toddler Tuesday, What Do You Think?

What Is The Ideal Age For Trick or Treating?

trick-or-treatHalloween is fast approaching and this is a question I have been pondering for a few weeks. How old should your child be to go trick or treating? When are they too old to go?

I think the first time I went out was when I was about four (mom correct me if I am wrong) and my last year was when I was twelve.

Even now I think twelve is a good age to stop. After that you are a teenager and you should leave the fun to the kids.

When I was twelve I dressed up as a devil. I remember hearing a segment on the radio on the way to school one day about the age of trick or treaters and one gentleman commented “if they have cleavage they are too old to be knocking on my door”.  Much to my dismay, at twelve I already had cleavage, and did feel slightly bad about going out that year. But hey, its no my fault big boobs run in the family and for some reason all women’s Halloween costumes are all cut on the slutty side.

Sawyer is now three and I think I would like to take him out this year.

hall1Sawyer’s first year we dressed him in a pumpkin suit and called it a day. We actually had to get two suits because he outgrew the first one before Halloween (he was a big baby). The hair came from Hubs Troy Polamalu costume.

Sawyer’s second year there was a big Halloween event at my work so I dressed him up in the cutest giraffe costume and he wandered around the festivities. Bottle in hand, everyone got a kick out of him and he actually didn’t mind wearing the costume at all.hall2

Last year I tried to take him out to the little Halloween shindig they had at our rental office for the little kids, but he refused to go. He didn’t want to wear his costume and he didn’t want to go.  Being the size of a house measuring 37 weeks pregnant with the twins I was in no mood to fight him. So, we stayed at home together and handed out candy to the 20 some odd children that came to the door. He had fun and that’s all that matters.

Now we live in a new neighbourhood with lots of kids so I think he would enjoy it. Perhaps three is too young. Four definitely seems appropriate since they are in school then and doing lots of Halloween activities anyway.

magmamork_trick-r-treatSo what do you think? How young is too young? How old is too old? At what age did your kids most enjoy trick or treating? Feel free to post in the comments section.

Related Articles:

Why The Terrible Twos Weren’t So Terrible

Yes! You Can Do It!

You Know You Are A Mommy When…

11 thoughts on “What Is The Ideal Age For Trick or Treating?

1. I took Alex out last year.. he would’ve been 22 months. We just went to the mall and walked around and he collected candy when he felt like it. I was letting him eat smarties and suckers so it was okay for him. This year we are taking both the boys to the mall. Nick is 19 months and Alex is 34 months.

Posted by lynnc2010 | October 15, 2013, 1:10 pm
    • Good for you. I didn’t even let Sawyer eat candy at 19 months (but I am the only mom who let’s her three year old chew gum so…). I think the mall sounds like a good idea, if you have one in your area. I think my feeling was that I didn’t want to force him, I wanted him to be old enough to understand and want to go because it should be for him and not me right? Good luck with the two little ones, I will be leaving the girls at home 😉

Posted by Shannon | October 15, 2013, 1:53 pm
      • That makes sense to me. I let Alex have his first taste of a sucker (or I should say my dad did) at 4 months old. Nick was the same (thanks to my dad) and Zoey (thanks to my dad) was 2 months old. I let them have sweets once in a while. But its a treat for them. Not a daily occurrence.
        The kids love to dress up, if they didn’t want to when we were getting ready to go, I wouldn’t make them. It’s not worth the fight. Although even last year Alex thought it was amazing that people were giving him candy lol!

Posted by lynnc2010 | October 15, 2013, 4:58 pm
      • Ha ha! I hope your dad is also going to pay the dental bills 😉

Posted by Shannon | October 15, 2013, 9:12 pm
  2. Orange was just 4 months old the first time we took her out trick or treating. We weren’t alone though. We always go with my cousins and their kids so it’s a big group. I carried her to the door in her strawberry costume and she got a few lollipops that we later handed out to other kids when we got back to my aunts house. The following year she walked a bit but didn’t get it. 2 was a hit. She loved it. I missed it because I was on bedrest. And last year at 3 she was ecstatic! The twins were 10 months last year. We just pushed them in the stroller. It was like 40*F so they were all bundled up, you couldn’t even see their costumes. This year, they won’t even wear their costumes. Orange is excited though. We found a local dentist who buys back candy to send overseas to troops. They match $1 per pound to donate to a local children’s hospital as well. She gets to use the money to buy whatever she wants. I’m really stoked that she’s decided on such a giving and mature way to end our Halloween 🙂

Oh and I believe I was 15 the last year I trick or treated. I dressed up as slutty/preppy Britney Spears. Yeah, that was too much. I had a little brother 7 years younger though so we still all went as a big group.

Posted by Heather C | October 15, 2013, 1:54 pm
    • Thanks for the input and stories. I agree things are definitely different in a group, for instance, if I took the girls this year it’s because I have to watch them not because they are actually trick or treating. Ha ha Britney spears. Thanks for.stopping by and have a happy Halloween 🙂

Posted by Shannon | October 15, 2013, 1:58 pm
  3. I believe my son was 4 when he went Trick or Treating for the first time.. with the same set of kids we go with every year… I think 12 is a good year to start thinking about not Trick or Treating.. At that point I might be willing to have a fun safe Halloween party at my house so I know all “my” kids are having fun but I can keep an eye on them at the same time

Posted by ninjasinstitches | October 15, 2013, 2:35 pm
    • That’s a great idea. I agree, Halloween parties (safe ones at least) provide a good transition for kids to go from trick or treating. As for hosting one sounds fun and scary at Yeh same time 😉

Posted by Shannon | October 15, 2013, 3:44 pm
  4. We don’t really celebrate Halloween here so can’t comment much. That pic of Sawyer in his giraffe costume is so adorable!

Posted by mummyshymz | October 16, 2013, 12:14 am
  5. My six year old only went out for the first time last year. She is scared of everything usually, so I thought she would hate it, but it was the opposite. I think it depends on the child, though. When the older kids come round, I find them a bit intimidating. I would definitely say that there is an age limit. Once you get to teens, do you really want to dress up and go collect sweets?!

Posted by Nicola Young | October 16, 2013, 2:25 am

1. Pingback: Should You Give Your Baby the Flu Shot? | A Game of Diapers - November 19, 2013