Last night I was looking for new blogs to read, and I saw so many other mommy bloggers out there just getting started. So today I thought I would share some easy ways to elevate your blog and help gain more followers.
1. Pictures: We live is a very visual world, and virtually every device has a camera in it, so what’s your excuse for not placing pictures on your blog? Pictures create visual interest drawing in readers and enhance your text. You can also include helpful graphics, comics, and more, all of which can easily be found on the internet (just be careful about copyrights). Speaking of copyrights, I would recommend that if you are sharing personal photos or custom designed images (think infographics) that you watermark them with your websites name or logo. That way when people share them it is free advertising for your website.
2. Involve Your Readers: Yes, I know, your blog is for you and only you. Well, that’s great. Start a diary. You are obviously blogging in a public sphere because there is some part of you that knows or wants others to read your blog. So try to write about topics and areas you have expertise in that you think others will find interesting. For example, I am a dog expert so I wrote an article on how to have happy dogs and happy kids. You can also involve the reader by having posts that ask for advice or opinions, for example “what do you think” or “what would you do” and encourage readers to comment.
3. Make it Interactive: Following on the idea of involving your readers, make your posts interactive. Not only can you encourage readers to comment, WordPress easily allows you to include a poll so that they can vote on a topic. You can also include links in your articles. WordPress allows you to make words and ideas into links with just the click of a button. So if you are talking about something you think your readers may want more information about make it a link. This give your readers something to do that keeps them on your page instead of flicking to the next one.
4. Choose Interesting Topics: Once and a while try talking about something that is a hot or controversial topic. If you write about something people are talking about it is likely that when people Google it they may be directed to your page. This often happens to me because I am researching something, like using Vitex, and then I discover there aren’t a lot of resources out there so I write about it to fill the gap and help others, but it also means people will likely get directed to my site when they Google it.
5. Write One Anchor Post a Week: You should try to write one really well thought out article weekly. This one should take you over an hour and have all the bells and whistles. Make sure you research your topic (so many posts I read are redundant because the writer just didn’t take the time to see what the other million people were saying). Your insights should be fresh and personal. After all, the one thing you have that sets you apart is your unique perspective.
6. Have An Eye Catching Title: Think about headlines in newspapers or Twitter. There are thousands if not millions of articles to read daily. Readers like me will quickly scan through hundreds of headlines and only click on the ones that really catch my attention. So have a little fun with your titles. Use alliteration, metaphor. swear words, what ever represents your personality and will get their attention. My titles are often in reference to my blog name which is Game of Diapers (my email tagline is visit www.GameofDiapers.com and watch the game unfold).
7. Include Links to Similar Posts You Have Made: The one thing about blogs is that they are not as easy to navigate as a regular website in terms of older posts. Readers, especially ones that are “drop ins” will really appreciate being able to easily bring up related articles with the click of a button. As an added bonus this helps keep readers on your site, and if they find enough interesting information they may become a follower.
8. Comment/ Like Other People’s Blogs: Blogging is a community. Imagine you are at a party full of people. You blogging alone is like you standing in the middle of the room just shouting at everyone. That doesn’t work. You have to go around and listen to what other people are saying and strike up a conversation. Not only is reading other blogs enjoyable, but when you comment on a blog, that blogs regular readers may like your comment and visit your blog. I always love it when people comment on my blog and I wish they would do it more often!
Now you are all set you take your blog to the next level. Check out some other articles I have written on blogging and stay tuned for more on how to increase your readership.
- The Name Says it All: Choosing a Name For Your Blog
- How To Get Your Blog Noticed
- Being A Closet Blogger