Ect., Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions, Top Tens/Lists

Top 10: What “Me Time” Is When You Have Three Kids

Oh how I remember the days when “me” time meant getting $1400 hair extensions, a new outfit, and going out partying all night or spending a day at the art gallery or museum lost in the exhibits or just wandering through the mall having fun.

While I don’t necessarily miss those days, things have definitely changed. Here is what me time means to me now.  Feel free to add your own in the comments section.

shopping1010. Grocery shopping with no children. Well you can hardly compare selecting cheese and picking bread to checking out the latest Louboutin shoes and picking up some new jewelry, it is a fun outing out of the house where I et to buy things (and not feel guilty about it) and enjoy an hour of uninterrupted thought as I ponder the weeks meals and the coupons I have to use.

bath109. Having a bath…my myself. That means no kids (or husband trying to crash either). I can make the water super hot like I like it and sit back and relax and wash my cares away…for hopefully ten full minutes.

Copyright Shannon Caulfield

Copyright Game of Diapers

8. Walking my dogs. Without Sawyer to watch and the double stroller to push, I can crank up my tunes and walk the trails I could never traverse with a stroller. I cam breath fresh air, marvel at the leaves, get lost in my thoughts, and even get some exercise all at once.

7. Going to Tim’s for a coffee by myself. To be able to buy a coffee and then drink it in peace will solve any problem that ails ya. Oh iced coffee how I love you.

6. Going to a movie. Yes, it’s a lame movie, and its a matinée or a Wednesday night, but it’s worth it. I used to see movies all the time and now I am lucky if I get to three a year. If I am really feeling special I will even treat myself to some dirty nacho chips with cheese and salsa (diet coke of course lol).

5. Nap time. It’s so lame but so awesome that sometimes when the girls are napping and Sawyer is watching cartoons I will catch a bit of (much needed) shut eye.

blog 104. Blogging. I love blogging and there is something to cathartic about being able to write about my life and to also help others with theirs…even if it means thumb typing on my smart phone while nursing a baby. Also enjoy reading other blogs and articles in my feedly as well, which is hard to do with two sets of hands grabbing at your tablet.

3. Doing my nails. After being a nail biter for over thirty years I have recently begun a fascination with my nails. I really enjoy the fifteen minutes I spend doing them and I feel so pretty and polished afterwards, even if it was a bit challenging to learn how to unbuckle the carseat or get Sawyer’s shoes on with them.

got2. Watching television that isn’t cartoons. Sometimes I feel like my head will explode if I have to watch another episode of Jake and the Neverland Pirates or that horribly acted Thomas the Train movie (the one with the real people in it, Alex Baldwin is one haha). I like Homeland and Breaking Bad, American Horror Story and of course Game of Thrones, none of which are child appropriate.

Copyright Game of Diapers

Halloween Fun in 2007

1. Time alone with my Fiancée. Since we have had three kids we have been alone together less times than you can count on one hand. I love him so much and it would be so nice to grab a drink or look at books or do anything without the kids. Such is life and our situation, but when the opportunity comes along I definitely appreciate it.

I wouldn’t trade em for the world, but sometimes you need some time away to appreciate what you have.

So what do you think? What’s your me time now that you are a parent?

Related Articles

19 thoughts on “Top 10: What “Me Time” Is When You Have Three Kids

1. I just had a couple of these happen this past weekend b/c my mom and her friends came to visit. I LOVE my “me” time and appreciate it now that I know how precious it is! I took my freedom for granted when I had it, pre-child.

Posted by Lindsay | November 4, 2013, 1:29 pm
    • It’s all about perspective. When I had the twins and that made 3 under 3 (plus two dogs and a cat) I would look at my friends and think, wow, just one baby, you must be bored! Lol but I remember when that was me, and I was anything but bored.

Posted by Shannon | November 4, 2013, 2:42 pm
  2. Some of my top “me” time moments are getting to stay in bed past 6am, blogging (without little fingers trying to type on my keyboard or a little mouth trying to eat my screen) and enjoying some down time with my partner.

Posted by mommytrainingwheels | November 4, 2013, 2:03 pm
  3. Before my twins started school, I used to do my grocery shopping in the evening when my husband was at home to watch the children. That was my one evening out each week! Now they are all at school it’s much easier for me to actually go shopping and just browse.

Posted by Dawn Frazier | November 4, 2013, 2:53 pm
  4. When I go grocery shopping alone, I take FOREVER since I have time to really read labels and think about it all, and I buy so much stuff!

Posted by Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What?! | November 6, 2013, 10:53 pm
    • I just like being able to take my time and look at things rather than being part of a strategic operation. i dont know where you even find the time to grocery shop! I am a working mom of three littles and i don’t even have time to eat most days never mind work out! Thanks for stopping by.

Posted by Shannon | November 6, 2013, 11:03 pm
  5. I know what you mean about the grocery shopping. We do one big shop on the weekend, and my husband and I always end up fighting over who gets to do it. We pretend like it’s a chore but really we both enjoy it.

Posted by sparrow | November 11, 2013, 10:05 pm
  6. Oh, how I can commiserate! I just want to make a phone call. One simple phone call to schedule a dr. appt, haircut, or return someone’s call. Please, God, let me make one call without being interrupted!

Posted by justmommatters | November 26, 2013, 9:18 pm
  7. I’ve been parent since my late teens & just now in my early 40’s my youngest is almost 14 (yay!) & I’m having this experience in reverse. I’m discovering free time, uninterrupted thoughts, the ability to have a life… I’m totally amazed.

Posted by petra8paleo | November 28, 2013, 10:27 pm
  8. Reblogged this on ramblingsofaclusteredmind's Blog and commented:
    This made me smile the idea of food shopping without little legs is glorious…may have to try it at some point!

Posted by ramblingsofaclusteredmind | November 29, 2013, 2:08 am

1. Pingback: Dinnertime Is Primetime | A Game of Diapers - November 25, 2013

2. Pingback: Top 10 Ways I Am A “Bad” Mother | A Game of Diapers - December 6, 2013

3. Pingback: Happy Birthday Girls! Things I Learned From My First Year With Twins | A Game of Diapers - January 3, 2014

4. Pingback: I Am Going To Ride A Bike To Work | A Game of Diapers - February 27, 2014