I have read many times that you should only spend 20-30% of your time actually writing and the other 70-80% publicizing your blog. Since I blog recreationally, I am nowhere near that ratio, but still a little self promotion doesn’t hurt, especially if you are just getting in the game.
So here are ten relatively easy ways I have found to help publicize your blog.
1. Make sure your blog has a focus (or theme). If people are going to read and follow your blog, they want to know what it’s about. First, find your voice, and then you can find your audience. There are thousands of blogs out there so make sure you are blogging about something you know, and it’s from you. Your unique perspective on the world is the one thing only your blog has. Then stick to it (more or less). So, if your blog is about photography, don’t include several posts about your new kitten because as cute as she is, your readers probably don’t care.
2. Blog frequently. The more you blog the more you get your brand out there. If you only post sporadically or once a month you may lose readers, and it’s doubtful you will gain more. Try to post on your blog about three times a week if possible. And don’t forget, WordPress allows you to schedule posts so if you are on a roll or stuck for time you can sit down and write all your posts for the week at once. There was actually a point where I was almost two MONTHS ahead with my blog posts!
3. Join blogging networks. Now that you have your theme look for blogging network sites that you can join to promote your blog. For example, if you are a mommy blogger there are tons of networking sites that will promote your blog for free in exchange for placing their badge on your site. This is a great way to get new readers.
4. Fill A Niche. Once and a while try to write unique articles about genuine topics. For example, I was inspired by a product I saw at Shopper’s Drug Mart called Amniosense. I wanted to write a review, so I started researching and discovered there really wasn’t much written about it. Bonus! I got to write my review, and as an added bonus, my site comes up high on the list when people Google it.
5. Use appropriate tags. Tags are important for you to come up when people are searching for topics. Make sure you use ones that accurately describe your articles. If it is a professional blog make sure you use catch terms from the field. While you are at it, don’t forget to include a relevant catchy title because once they find your article that can make the difference between a click or no click.
6. Guest posts. You can have guest posters on your blog or you can write guest posts on another blog. Not only is this great for building relationships in the blogging community it is free promotion. Readers of your guest will hopefully come over to read their post, and then fall in love with your amazing blog. Similarly, readers of the blog that hosts your guest posts will fall in love and go running to your site.
7. Blog Awards. Some people view these like the plague, and they can be. But, they are a nice way to show other bloggers you appreciate their work and make them feel good, while getting tons of promotion for you blog (because in their acceptance they must include a link back to your site).
8. Comment on other people’s blogs. I have said this before, but blogging is like having a conversation at a party. You can’t just stand in the middle of the room shouting at people. You have to walk up to them and engage in conversation (which includes talking and listening). So, follow lots of other blogs, and when you see something that catches your eye leave a comment. This will not only get the hosts attention, other readers of the blog may appreciate your comment and decide to check out what else you have to offer on your site.
9. Reddit. This one is a little shameless since it won’t usually get you lasting readers or followers, but if you have written a particularly juicy article that you want people to read (or that you think they would be interested in reading) you can share your post on Reddit. In one day this got me almost 500 hits, but it was just a one time thing. It really is only fleeting publicity, but if you rely on hits to make money (if you have paid advertising) you could always give it a shot.
10. SOCIAL MEDIA. This of course is the granddaddy of getting your blog out there. By social media I mean Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr and the lot. Word press makes it really easy to integrate all kinds of social media into your site, so there really is no excuse. But do make sure that if you engage these other forums do it right. If your site has a Facebook page, make sure you do more than post links to your blog. Include links to other relevant articles, pictures, memes, status updates etc. to engage your readers. Ditto for twitter. Ironically, one of my blogs has about FIVE TIMES the amount of Twitter followers than it does readers (which is fine by me). I spend a lot of time reading and sharing articles as well as re-tweeting relevant information for that one, more than I do writing. Google+ is a new one, but it is growing in popularity. If it is a professional blog there is also LinkedIn. Don’t be afraid to try new things. I never had a twitter account, but Game of Diapers does!
So there it is, 10 easy ways to get your blog noticed. If you have any others feel free to add them in the comments section.
- Eight Easy Ways to Enhance Your Blog (And Gain Readers)
- The Perfect Post: Infographic for Bloggers
- Breaking Free From Facebook