Let’s face it, no one is perfect at anything, especially parenting. In my opinion it is not about right and wrong, just finding our own ways to get to the same destination. As a full-time working mom of three under three (including twins) things don’t always go according to plan.
So here are the things that make me a bad mother. Feel free to add your own in the comments section, it feels good to confess.
10. I have to hold in the laughter when I hear my kids swearing. Personally, I don’t care that much about minor swear words, in fact, I actually find it cute when my son says “what the hell?” in his little three year old voice. But I know, I know, it’s not funny to swear, tee hee hee.
9. I have bribed my children. I have probably spend hundreds of dollars buying chocolate milk for my son because he knows that if he is good during the outing he will get a chocolate milk. Really, it’s a small price to pay for a stress free shopping trip.
8. I sometimes let them watch movies that are not entirely appropriate because I want to watch them and/or I can’t handle watching Shrek one more time. Yes, my son has watched Iron Man and the Simpsons and he is three.
7. I don’t cook. Yes, I almost never cook. Unless microwaving counts as cooking, which changes everything. In that case, I rarely cook! I don’t make my own baby food either (although I do buy organic).
6. In my house dog toys are baby toys and baby toys are dog toys. Hey, it’s all about sharing in our house. Why else would Fisher Price make a line of dog toys?
5. I play sneaky games. Sometimes, at night, when I am tired and hear one of the babies crying, instead of jumping up I play the waiting game with my husband to see who will crack and get out of bed first. It works when the dogs scratch to go outside too.
4. I didn’t have a bedtime routine. Since I put the kid to bed myself, I gave up fighting to get my son to bed, so for months I just let him fall asleep on the sofa and then we carried him to bed once he was asleep. Who cares where they sleep as long as they are finally asleep right?
3. Sometimes encourage the kids to buy toys that I like. When my son started liking Thomas the Tank Engine I was all for it because I loved setting up and playing with the trains too. I was always on the lookout for one I…um I mean he… didn’t have. All aboard!
2. I blog. There are times when I should have been playing with the kids, but instead of giving them my full attention I was on my phone blogging (or checking emails etc.). I used to do it while nursing or they napped but now they are weaned and they only take one nap a day so…
1. Bath time is more like a weekly event (unless playing in the dogs’ water dish counts).
Let’s face it, bath time with babies can be dangerous and trying to bathe twins by yourself while keeping an eye on big brother is just a recipe for disaster. Plus, I was bathing the twins a lot more in the early days, and their skin would get very dried out. Nope, twice a week is good enough for us. With three little ones I will never have that “perfect” bedtime routine where everyone has a calming bath and a bedtime story. More like chaos until everyone is in bed and I collapse on the couch (lucky if I get a bath myself).
Playing the Game of Diapers isn’t about getting stuck on the small stuff, it’s about loving your kids, doing your best, and enjoying every moment of every day.
- Top 10 Myths and Facts About Parenting (You will relate!)
- Five Things You Should Never Ask To A Woman
- Top 10 Ways Mothers Are Superheroes
- Top 10: What “Me” Time is After Three Kids