Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions, Twins/Toddler Tuesday

Mommy Needs Her Vitex…Now!

vitex1I stopped taking my Vitex and I learned my lesson!

I have been taking Vitex for months now to help with my postpartum hormones.  After taking it for a month, I felt like I could see a big difference, but I was never really sure if it was working.

I am now nine months postpartum and I have just finished weaning the twins (yeah, I have my body back…or what’s left anyway).  Since we moved, I no longer live near the health food store, and so two weeks ago my Vitex ran out.  No big deal, I thought, I am not sure if it was really working anyways.  Plus, since it takes months to build up in your system it could be weeks before I notice a change anyways.

MISTAKE!vitex2

I guess it really was working because within 10 days my emotions were running wild all over again.  Let’s see:

• I was bawling after reading an article on how women in Equador can be sentenced to prison after having a miscarriage (yes, it is horrible, but I was actually crying my eyes out).
  • I started feeling guilty about my shopping habits (last week’s post).
  • I almost put my fist through the wall when Sawyer woke June up by slapping her belly and making her cry.
  • My appetite is off.  I have drank an iced coffee for breakfast and had cereal for lunch for 95% of the days in the last nine months, and suddenly both seem unappealing.
  • I lie in bed at night worried about stupid things.
  • One minute I am happy, the next minute I am sad.
  • I sometimes get a paranoid feeling that something bad is going to happen.
  • I just don’t feel like me anymore.

wpid-wp-1372380842026.jpgI am sure not of these symptoms are that crazy in themselves, but the point is they are not me.  I don’t normally act this way, and being the control freak I am, I don’t like it.

So, tomorrow its off to Vitapath to pick up some more Vitex.  I guess this proves it, it really was working, and it really does work.  So, if you are like me and have had problems with your hormones get yourself some Vitex.  It’s cheap, it’s safe and it will make you feel like yourself again.

ALL ABOUT VITEX

Vitex is a beautiful shrub native to Greece and Italy whose berries have been used in herbal medicine for centuries. It is considered one of the most popular herbs in Europe and other Western nations for the support of gynecological imbalances.

Modern clinical research and traditional use of vitex have shown its amazing ability to help balance fertility hormones. Since vitex does not contain hormones it has a supportive, gentle and non direct action on the body. Vitex is one of the most useful fertility herbs available to us.

How Vitex Workswpid-wp-1372380875345.jpg

Our current understanding of vitex is that it has a supporting and regulating effect upon the pituitary gland. The pituitary is known as the “master gland” because it controls many vital bodily functions such sending chemical signals to the ovaries, telling them how much hormones to make.

Read more about Vitex HERE

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Since writing this article I have been doing even more research about Vitex.  There are a lot of people out there who claim it didn’t work for them or made things worse.  There is a reason for that.  Vitex helps people who have a hormonal imbalance (like me due to breastfeeding/ being post-partum) by balancing out their hormones to a healthy level.  If your hormones are already balanced, taking Vitex will not help you, and could, in fact, make things worse.  You are the expert of your body, and you should be able to tell whether you think it would be good for you.

Also, please note that Vitex counteracts other fertility drugs like clomid or soy isoflavanoids.  Again, these drugs work by creating an imbalance of hormones, while Vitex works to restore the balance, so don’t mix the two together.

Related Articles

13 thoughts on “Mommy Needs Her Vitex…Now!

1. I suppose the positive thing is that you now know that it works. Take care!

Posted by mommytrainingwheels | November 12, 2013, 11:48 am
  2. I took vitex for 6months before falling pregnant whilst taking it. It was fantasic.
    I have thought about taking now pp but im a little worried about my breast milk, how it effects supple and how much is passed through to v,

Posted by journey2dfuture | November 12, 2013, 1:55 pm
    • It did not affect my breastmilk what so ever, but I realize everyone is different. I am going to stay on it until ny hormones stabilize, if they ever do! Lol I read about it for ttc but it conflicts with other things I was on. Thanks for commenting.

Posted by Shannon | November 12, 2013, 1:58 pm
      • Also one other thing…I was told to wean off It rather than stop suddenly. Maybe this is why you had some issues when your bottle ran out. Good to hear its working for you.

Posted by journey2dfuture | November 12, 2013, 1:59 pm
      • Good point! You are probably right on that one. If you do decide to ttc soon I have read it can help get you in fertile shape quicker after nursing so maybe check with your doctor if you are interested.

Posted by Shannon | November 12, 2013, 2:00 pm
  3. I was looking for your post on the dosage you took. Cant find it. Help ?
    Since im weaning and v is feeding only at night 3-4 times ive dug out my vitex and started taking it today. 1000Mg. It expires at the end of the month, would you risk taking it after the expire or should i order more now ?

Posted by journey2dfuture | November 14, 2013, 11:11 am
    • Well I am not a doctor but it doesn’t really expire it just becomes less potent. I have been taking 1200 a day, I read the dosage can vary from 800-1200 depending on the person. I tried 800 but found it wasn’t enough for me. Good luck. I get mine at the healthfood store for $8.99 for 100. 400mg tablets.

Posted by Shannon | November 14, 2013, 1:47 pm
      • The tablets I have art 1000mg per tablet. That’s what I thought about the expiration. Although according to the packaging it has some sort of bulking agent in. :/ maybe that expires.. last time it worked really well to even out my cycles at 1000mg a day. Although I will look back on my blog to check dosage maybe I did take take two tablets.

Posted by journey2dfuture | November 14, 2013, 1:54 pm
      • 1000 seems right. Mine are only 400mg so I take 3 which is 1200. I am so glad I found it and it works for me. As for cycles, well we will see how that goes lol period? What’s that? Ha ha

Posted by Shannon | November 14, 2013, 2:44 pm
      • I’ve not had any.. zero. .. nothing since my 6 week pp bleeding stopped v is 15 months old next week!

Posted by journey2dfuture | November 14, 2013, 2:49 pm
      • I never got mine back after Sawyer was born! Weird eh?

Posted by Shannon | November 14, 2013, 4:07 pm

1. Pingback: Happy Birthday Girls! Things I Learned From My First Year With Twins | A Game of Diapers - January 3, 2014