I have been taking Vitex for months now to help with my postpartum hormones. After taking it for a month, I felt like I could see a big difference, but I was never really sure if it was working.
I am now nine months postpartum and I have just finished weaning the twins (yeah, I have my body back…or what’s left anyway). Since we moved, I no longer live near the health food store, and so two weeks ago my Vitex ran out. No big deal, I thought, I am not sure if it was really working anyways. Plus, since it takes months to build up in your system it could be weeks before I notice a change anyways.
I guess it really was working because within 10 days my emotions were running wild all over again. Let’s see:
- I was bawling after reading an article on how women in Equador can be sentenced to prison after having a miscarriage (yes, it is horrible, but I was actually crying my eyes out).
- I started feeling guilty about my shopping habits (last week’s post).
- I almost put my fist through the wall when Sawyer woke June up by slapping her belly and making her cry.
- My appetite is off. I have drank an iced coffee for breakfast and had cereal for lunch for 95% of the days in the last nine months, and suddenly both seem unappealing.
- I lie in bed at night worried about stupid things.
- One minute I am happy, the next minute I am sad.
- I sometimes get a paranoid feeling that something bad is going to happen.
- I just don’t feel like me anymore.
So, tomorrow its off to Vitapath to pick up some more Vitex. I guess this proves it, it really was working, and it really does work. So, if you are like me and have had problems with your hormones get yourself some Vitex. It’s cheap, it’s safe and it will make you feel like yourself again.
ALL ABOUT VITEX
Vitex is a beautiful shrub native to Greece and Italy whose berries have been used in herbal medicine for centuries. It is considered one of the most popular herbs in Europe and other Western nations for the support of gynecological imbalances.
Modern clinical research and traditional use of vitex have shown its amazing ability to help balance fertility hormones. Since vitex does not contain hormones it has a supportive, gentle and non direct action on the body. Vitex is one of the most useful fertility herbs available to us.
Our current understanding of vitex is that it has a supporting and regulating effect upon the pituitary gland. The pituitary is known as the “master gland” because it controls many vital bodily functions such sending chemical signals to the ovaries, telling them how much hormones to make.
Read more about Vitex HERE
Since writing this article I have been doing even more research about Vitex. There are a lot of people out there who claim it didn’t work for them or made things worse. There is a reason for that. Vitex helps people who have a hormonal imbalance (like me due to breastfeeding/ being post-partum) by balancing out their hormones to a healthy level. If your hormones are already balanced, taking Vitex will not help you, and could, in fact, make things worse. You are the expert of your body, and you should be able to tell whether you think it would be good for you.
Also, please note that Vitex counteracts other fertility drugs like clomid or soy isoflavanoids. Again, these drugs work by creating an imbalance of hormones, while Vitex works to restore the balance, so don’t mix the two together.
- Hormones You Are Not My Friend: The Postpartum Return To Fertility
- The Great Vitex Experiment
- The Great Vitex Experiment: Month Two