Now that I am back at work people are always me “what is it like working full-time with three kids?” After giving several different answers I finally settled on not good, not bad, just busy!
In reality, the question is a very complex one, with a multitude of factors to consider, and a huge variety of both long and short answers. So for those of you wanting to know what its like or “how it do it” here goes:
- Yes, having three young kids (and two dogs) is a lot of work on its own.
- Yes, I enjoy being back at work.
- Yes, I do miss them during the day.
- Yes, I am so skinny because I am so busy I forget to eat.
- Yes, I love my job and I did miss it.
- Yes, sometimes I wish I could work less and be with the kids more.
- Yes, I do have to be super organized.
- Yes, I am thankful to my parents for the help they give me.
- Yes, I have a wonderful partner and we do it as a team.
- Yes, I am lucky that our jobs allow us some flexibility to ensure we have childcare.
- No, the kids do not sleep through the night (although we are getting close).
- No, we are not thinking about more right now. You know I just had twins right? Two babies?
- Yes, I am thin but I could fit a kangaroo in the pouch that was once my stomach.
- No, I don’t remember the last time hubs and I had a night out…oh yeah, it was six months, ago the night we got engaged.
- Yes, I miss sleep. What I wouldn’t give to sleep in, just once, until I was ready to get up.
- Yes, My house is fairly clean and I am managing to keep up with the chores, just not as much as before.
- No, the dogs don’t get a great walk every day.
- No, it’s not that bad. Having three kids is only as expensive as you make it.
- Yes, my hands are full, but I’d rather have them full than empty.
- Yes, we still have the same car. It was tough to fit three car seats in the car, and we will need a new one soon because ours is old and we need more space.
- Thanks! Doing my nails is my “me time” activity once the kids are in bed (lord only knows what’s stuck underneath them though).
- Yes, it can be tough, and some days I am so tired I AM counting down until bedtime.
- No, I am not cooped up inside. I get out with all three kids most days, which is a chore and a half, but I do it and so can you.
- Yes, I have to lug all the kids with me when I walk the dogs because my husband works nights so we can have coverage for child party. See what that looks like here.
- No, I am sorry I cannot go out to (insert invited event here).
- No, I wouldn’t change it. I love my life and I am so happy. Every day is a blessing to me.
So there you have it. Everything you ever wanted to know about what its like to be a full-time working mom with baby twincesses and a young prince. Since I am feeling generous today, if there are any readers out there who have any random questions for me (about anything) go for it. The wisdom of experience deserves to be shared.