Hair and Fashion, Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions, What Do You Think?

Do Us All A Favour And Ditch The Skinny Jeans

This skinny pant trend has now been around far to long and I am plain sick of it and think it’s time for a change.

I don’t know about you and what your attitude towards fashion is, but here’s mine. I believe in wearing what makes you look good and feel good about yourself. A wide variety of well fitting, stylish but comfortable clothes, always bought at a fraction of the price describes my closet.

I do try to incorporate some trends in my wardrobe and I have

watched my fair share of Stacey and Clinton. It didn’t take me long to start choosing function over fashion, especially as a mom of three who owns dogs and a cat. But just like spandex, mom jeans, and bodysuits, some trends are just plain wrong, and skinny jeans are one of those things.

When skinny jeans became trendy a few years ago I was definitely not on the bandwagon. Unlike flares, I find they are NOT a universally flattering style (sorry ladies but muffin tops and camel toes are never in style). I wasn’t worried though, because I figured, like all fashion trends it would pass.

Then 2012 came and they were just as popular as ever. So, due to super cheap deals at Old Navy and lack of other options, I succumbed to the trend. I got two pairs of skinny cords and two pairs of skinny jeans (all for $10 or less). I wore them for a while, but I was never happy.

I never feel comfortable in skinny pants. They are too revealing, difficult to move and flex in, and they only look good with certain shoes. The last thing you need when you feel bloated or unpretty is to have to cram yourself down the legs of your pants.

Fast forward a year and it is now the end of 2013 and here I am still wading through mounds of freakin skinny pants! I need a nice pair of dress pants for work and I would like a nice pair of cords for the winter cold, but good luck finding them, because they don’t seem to exist. Perhaps I am shopping at the wrong stores, or perhaps that I am on a budget, but either way it shouldn’t matter.

So for 2014 I am saying down with skinnies! There are so many styles out there: bootcut, flare, wideleg, straight leg, and more.  It’s time for a new year, a new start, and new pants!

Happy Dressing!

What do you think? Are you a fan of skinny jeans or are you ready to move on?

Related Articles

24 thoughts on “Do Us All A Favour And Ditch The Skinny Jeans

1. I never liked skinny jeans in till recently when i lost so much weight i needed new jeans and like you there wasnt anything else out there so i started buying skinny and now i love them ! I have three really nice comfy pairs i tend to wear them with converse high tops or boots jeans tucked in.
    But your right they dont look good on everyone.

Posted by journey2dfuture | January 17, 2014, 2:20 am
    • I don’t know how something skin tight can be comfortable! Not to mention in my case when I bend over (which is all the time) I get Plummer butt! I am totally cool with them for other people like yourself, I just want other options 🙂

Posted by Shannon | January 17, 2014, 12:18 pm
  2. I admit, I was hesitant at first, but now I love them. I have moved into the fun legging arena (with short dresses) that once I scoffed at now too. As they say: If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em! ~Best

Posted by You'll Soon Be Flying | January 17, 2014, 2:39 am
  3. Ah No!! I love my skinny jeans. They don’t need ironed and they look nice with my mid-calf boots.. Also you can wear a long top over them to cover your bum.. I’m not ready to say good-bye yet! :o(

Posted by Olivia FitzGerald | January 17, 2014, 3:52 am
    • If they work for you that’s great. Personally I find them uncomfortable. It’s not I hate them per se, it’s just that they have completely taken over the market! In a world of fashion why limit ourselves? 🙂 thanks for stopping by.

Posted by Shannon | January 17, 2014, 12:27 pm
  4. I love my skinny jeans. Actually, they are the only jeans that don’t give me muffin top right now lol. But mine are a spandex style from Body Central.
    Style trends don’t bother me too much. JCP and a few other department stores always carry the bootleg Levi’s I love. NY&Co can have good clearance pants for work. I’ve gotten most of my work pants there. They frequently have a “buy one get one free” deal on the pants.
    All that being said, skinny jeans on men are a no no to me. Not flattering at all.

Posted by K, Twin Mom | January 17, 2014, 5:23 am
    • I don’t know. Some men can rock them, but like with women, they don’t work for everyone. I am like you, I like sales and the few times you are lucky to find pants that aren’t skinny they are never cheap. Thanks for commenting 🙂

Posted by Shannon | January 17, 2014, 12:26 pm
  5. I’m a yoga pant girl…. I like being comfy and active when necessary at the same time. I have a pair (or two) of skinny jeans and they make my legs look great, but they’re a pain getting off because I run a lot and have very defined calves lol..

Posted by ninjasinstitches | January 17, 2014, 6:57 am
    • Exactly, the don’t look good on everybody. Yoga pants are comfy and do look good on most people. In my case since Yoga pants have become part of the “mommy uniform” I have ditched all mine. That’s mostly what I wore during pregnancy/postpartum but now I am looking at other ways to be comfortable and look good (personal goal of mine, nothing against yoga pants they are great). Thanks for weighing in.

Posted by Shannon | January 17, 2014, 12:24 pm
  6. I’m with you. I don’t even own any. I’ve tried them on and it feels like I’m suffocating my ankles. Bring back the flares!

Posted by Theresa | January 17, 2014, 11:06 am
  7. Yep, I’m afraid I will have to agree to disagree. While I wouldn’t mind seeing a fashion change, I’m afraid the skinny jeans trend will live on. It’s a neat, sexy, slimming look for thin people as well as moderately overweight. Great thought provoking blog though!

Posted by Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth | January 17, 2014, 11:56 am
  8. No. I don’t like my lady parts to be smooshed into jeans like plastic wrap. its not comfortable and i feel like I’m half nakers.

Posted by journeyformybaby | January 17, 2014, 3:41 pm
  9. They are about all I wear. Lol. I can’t wear jeans but I have skinny stretch cords that Iove! Plus jeggings and leggings that I wear with longer shirts or short dresses. I only wear the stretch kind so I find them really comfortable. To each his own I guess. 🙂

Posted by Heather C | January 17, 2014, 4:48 pm
    • I love leggings and wear them all the time too. Honestly, I am surprised how many people really like skinny jeans. Like you said to each his own. Still wish stores had more selection though.

Posted by Shannon | January 17, 2014, 5:35 pm
      • My skinny cords are actually new. I needed a pair for family pictures and the skinny style was all I could find. It wasn’t what I was looking for and it frustrated me to no end so I get what you’re saying about selection. But then I tried them on and they were the most flattering pants I’ve worn since my body changed post twins. The cords went on sale for Black Friday and I grabbed 2 more colors!

I will say this though… I am so irritated by women buying the wrong size. I wear a medium bottom normally, somewhere around an 8/9 But in the skinny jeans, I was disgustingly popping out of them in all the wrong places so I bought the 11. I couldn’t care less what size I’m in. But women seem to be so obsessed with “no way am I buying THAT size” that they buy the WRONG one. And it looks awful and it prompts skinny jean hatred. Lol.

Posted by Heather C | January 18, 2014, 8:48 am
      • Heather, I am so glad that you found a pair of pants you like. I am the same way! When I find ones I like I always buy a second pair if they go on sale 🙂 I couldn’t agree more about dressing for your body. Size is not universal and just a number. Depending on the style you are wearing you may need a size up or down. It’s the fit that counts, not a number on a tag no one can see. 🙂

Posted by Shannon | January 18, 2014, 8:56 am
  10. Ha. I know what you mean. My shoes are all too crappy to wear with skinny jeans 🙂

Posted by sparrow | January 17, 2014, 7:51 pm
  11. In very pear shaped so they don’t suit me AT ALL! I do have a stretch pair though they fall down because of the shape. I’m on your ‘down with skinny jean’ bandwagon!!

Posted by linbritt | January 17, 2014, 9:41 pm