Helpful Tips/Advice/Recipes, Sexy Saturdays

So-Called Romantic Gifts Once You Are A Mom

Valentine’s Day is in two weeks and for some that means buying/receiving tokens of love.  So I have decided to reblog this post I wrote last year about the “romantic” gifts you get from hubs after you become a mom.

imageDoes this sound familiar? When you were young and single gifts were always about you. What you wanted, liked, or of course money and gift cards. Once you became a couple and got a place you may have started receiving things for the house but those were usually given to both of you. Then one day, once you have a family, you suddenly notice you are unwrapping vacuum cleaners and croc pots while hubs is getting a new football jersey. Then it goes one step further. How do you feel when those gifts start coming FROM your partner?

Some men have great taste in gifts. Most of these men are gay. LOL However, most men will try, especially early on to please. You might get flowers, chocolates, even sexy lingerie. Then one day you find yourself opening up a kettle and think to yourself “how did we get here?” True story.

My philosophy when it comes to gift giving is two-fold. I believe in getting people what they want but also I like thoughtful gifts. Anyone can go to a store, so in my mind, the thought is part of the gift.

When it comes to getting gifts for the house/ kids, I mostly understand. I mean the new vacuum I got was a great help to me since I am the one who does most of the vacuuming. And that kettle, well, it was a much nicer kettle than I would have purchased. But I do think it is unfair that for some reason mom gets household items when dad doesn’t.

imageBUT, since your husband is your other half, your one and only, who knows you inside and out, he should be the one who gets you the best presents right? And by best, I don’t mean expensive. I mean thoughtful, even romantic. (I am willing to allow “mother” type gifts on Mother’s Day though.)

Valentine’s day is a Hallmark holiday, I admit. I asked hubs not to get me anything, but he did. He got me a baby bottle drying rack.

Yup.

A rack.

To dry baby bottles.

I didn’t even know we needed a baby bottle drying rack! I was especially shocked since Valentine’s Day gifts are usually somewhat romantic (and there is NOTHING romantic about a baby bottle drying rack!). He did, however, also get me a box of chocolates after seeing the nice earrings my two-year old son got for me (with the help of his Nana).

I will admit, we still use the rack and it is handy, but my point remains.

Husbands, I know it’s hard but remember your wife is more than a mom, she is the wonderful gal you fell in love with. Yes she is great at what she does, and she would give anything for you or the kids (which is why gift cards can be bad, I never spend them on myself) but the next time a holiday or birthday rolls around, get her something for her, and only her.

Okay, so let’s hear it ladies. The most ridiculous gifts you’ve gotten from your spouse/partner. Seeing my mom get FIVE consecutive bathrobes from my dad growing up tells me this is a more common phenomenon that we may realize.

16 thoughts on “So-Called Romantic Gifts Once You Are A Mom

1. We don’t exchange gifts for holidays. Instead, we pick something to experience together. The first year we were married we bought a TV to cover both Christmas and our birthdays. (They’re all really close together at the end of the year.) Other years we got tickets to a concert or a ballet. And sometimes it was just dinner and I movie. Heck, one year (when I was pregnant, very sick with hyperemisis and exhausted) we just went to Burger King for Valentines Day! Lol. It was the first time I had been out of the house in months and I wanted it SO bad. He promptly held my hair back later that night when it all came back up. See, we are totally romantic 🙂

Posted by Heather C | February 1, 2014, 8:37 am
    • I completely agree with that. I don’t know if you read the article from the showcase about the scientifically proven way to buy happiness, but that’s what it’s about. Experiences are worth much more than physical objects, and since we remember things in a positive way those will stay with you, when all the chocolates are gone, or the shoes are worn out. Plus, like you said, once you have kids, outings are such a treat! This year we are going to a lacrosse game which is our valentines day gift as well as a late Christmas gift for the couple we are going with 😉 Have a great weekend.

Posted by Shannon | February 1, 2014, 9:29 am
  2. Oh no, my husband knows better than that! :^)

Posted by Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth | February 1, 2014, 9:55 am
  3. Hubby got me a vaccum one birthday and I was actually excited. Maybe I’m an anomaly :). Though he also doesn’t make a habit of doing that.

Posted by Theresa | February 1, 2014, 10:33 am
    • Oh no! For Christmas and birthdays I ONLY want practical gifts. There is just something in me that says a valentine’s gift should be a little romantic/ self indulgent (if you do buy one, which I think a card is just fine too) 😉

Posted by Shannon | February 1, 2014, 12:12 pm
  4. My birthday is Valentine’s Day. Either I’ll get something sensible, that’s a perfectly fine birthday present, like dishes, but nothing romantic. Or else I’ll get something that is both “um…” worthy for both birthday and Valentine’s Day, such as the year I got fishing gear. I don’t even fish. I don’t even eat fish. Fish scare me. The boyfriend wanted to go fishing and he thought that was the best time to see if I wanted to go with.

Posted by loveandothercrap | February 1, 2014, 10:57 am
    • Well happy early birthday! Yeah, I do see what he was trying to do there, but it might have been more appropriate to ask you if you would like to go fishing with him first before buying you that gift! I hope you have better luck this year 🙂

Posted by Shannon | February 1, 2014, 12:11 pm
  5. Love this! The strange gifts started about 1 year in. Now i wish i could even still get the boring gifts!! I’m down to practically never getting gifts.

Posted by journeyformybaby | February 1, 2014, 12:40 pm
  6. If you watched the show Breaking Bad there’s a scene where Mike is breaking into somewhere and he used a screw driver that instead of twisting it you push down and the force inside the thing twists for you.. I said woah that’s pretty cool and I kind of want one… That was my Christmas gift this year.. and he couldn’t find any new so he ordered a super rusty one off of ebay… At least it works lol..

Posted by ninjasinstitches | February 2, 2014, 8:24 am
  7. On Valentine’s day we usually have a tradition of forgoing gifts and instead catching dinner and whatever Valentine’s day flick is on the big screen with our best friends. We’ve done this since college and it’s a tradition we’ve kept up, for the most part. My husband absolutely REFUSES to buy me “mom” or “house” related gifts. For example, for Christmas I asked for a Rachel Ray Cookware Set, new knives, and some other corny things. He instead bought me much better stuff that I loved (awesome books, new music, clothes, jewelery organizer…). Hopefully we can stick with this and avoid the bottle rack route, at least for now! haha..enjoyable post!!

Posted by Tales of a Twin Mombie | February 2, 2014, 9:00 pm