Ect.

They Missed A Baby On The Ultrasound

1392689045000-Fugate-Quads-3Can you imagine?  At forty two years old you find out you are pregnant.

Whoa.

Then you find out you are having identical TRIPLETS!

Whoa.  And then when you give birth at 28 weeks it turns out there was another baby hiding in there!

WHOA!!!

Well, this actually happened to a Mississippi mom last week.  Kimberly Fugate, exhausted after an intensive labor and grueling cesarean section delivery of identical triplets, was ready to breathe a sign of relief, but the Mississippi mother’s doctor had a surprise for her.

“They had got the three out and they said, ‘More feet,'” Fugate said. “‘More feet’ … that’s all I heard and I said, ‘Nooo!'”

A fourth identical quadruplet had somehow been missed by numerous ultrasounds, managing to keep her existence hidden until she popped out behind three of her identical sisters last week at the University of Mississippi Medical Center.

Dr. James Bofill, a professor of maternal fetal medicine at the hospital said the odds of conceiving identical quadruplets is astonishingly rare, especially in a case like Fugate’s, where she became pregnant without the use of fertilization drugs or treatments (fertility treatments usually result in fraternal siblings).

“The odds of spontaneous quadruplets is one in every 729,000 live births,” Bofill said. “The chances of having identical quadruplets [are] almost incalculable.”

When a German woman delivered identical quads in 2012, medical experts said the odds were about 13 million to 1 and that there were approximately 60 sets in the entire world.

The Fugate four — Kenleigh, Kristen, Kaleigh and hidden surprise Kelsey — will remain in UMMC’s neonatal intensive care unit until May due to their premature birth. Despite complications that often arise in multiple pregnancies, Bofill said the babies are healthy.

Kimberly already had a 10-year-old daughter and I can only imagine she will be needing her help with four babies to look after.  I give her a round of applause for carrying quads at her age to basically “term” and giving birth to small but healthy babies.  I can’t even imagine what it would be like to have four identical children.  That would be so crazy (but also cool).

Anyways, I just wanted to share this story because it just goes to show anything is possible, and it gives me hope.

Cheers!

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children and expecting #4. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

19 thoughts on “They Missed A Baby On The Ultrasound

1. I would freak out.. seriously .. 5 kids my goodness.

Posted by khushnumab | February 18, 2014, 8:33 am
  2. I saw this! It’s crazy already her odds of conceiving identical triplets but then to miss one?!

Posted by ksquared0710 | February 18, 2014, 8:33 am
    • I have heard of this before. Last year there was a mom who thought she was having identical twins but turns out it was identical triplets. Because they share a sac and placenta it is really hard to distinguish babies (I remember what it looked like with just my two in there and they had their own sacs/placentas). Talk about a surprise though. I have read that the older you get the higher your odds of twins because you either spit out more eggs or your eggs split because they are old. Thanks for reading.

Posted by Shannon | February 18, 2014, 9:18 am
  3. “Wow” is all I can say.

Posted by mommytrainingwheels | February 18, 2014, 9:02 am
  4. I can’t even begin to imagine finding out I was having triplets… never mind finding out during delivery there is four of them… wow…

Posted by MommaNeedsCoffee | February 18, 2014, 2:22 pm
  5. My head is spinning. If she is married to a man, can you imagine the poor guy? He has no chance against all these ladies hihihi hope they are well supported!

Posted by redlipstickmama | February 18, 2014, 3:13 pm
    • Yeah! Apparently she told him by telling him to count the bracelets (she was wearing four, one for each baby). I think their church is going to help etc since they don’t even have a car that will fit everyone. They do have some time since the babies will be into the NICU until May. Can you imagine when all their periods line up???? Yikes! Lol

Posted by Shannon | February 18, 2014, 4:11 pm
  6. Amazing and crazy at the same time! I don’t know what I would do but laugh…really what else can you do at that point! I just saw this story earlier tonight. I sure hope those four babies are healthy and grow strong!

Posted by Piper's Run | February 18, 2014, 7:27 pm
  7. Thank goodness for the older sister!

Posted by Cate Pane: The Clear Parent | February 18, 2014, 9:34 pm
  8. I just heard about this. Crazy!! The re missed 2 of my babies on the first ultrasound but i was only 6 weeks. I thought that was weird enough. I can’t imagine this!!!

Posted by journeyformybaby | February 19, 2014, 9:34 pm
    • Ok. I went you your site. There was a missed baby and a missed sac. 😦 You know in a way that’s probably better than if you found out you were having twins and then lost one. Since my babies were all healthy with heartbeats they found them all at my seven week US but when you have identicals it can be hard. I read about another woman recently who ended up with identical triplets after thinking she was only having identical twins becauae they missed the third baby and it’s so rare. Identical quads just blows my mind 🙂

Posted by Shannon | February 19, 2014, 9:46 pm
  9. I just heard about this. Crazy!! The re missed 2 of my babies on the first ultrasound but i was only 6 weeks. I thought that was weird enough. I can’t imagine this!!!

Posted by journeyformybaby | February 19, 2014, 9:35 pm