Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions, The Thursday Review

Useless Baby Products

imageCome on, we have all done it. Seen something in the store or online and thought “Wow! What a great idea”. If we were lucky we had second thoughts, but that usually happens on your second child. Expecting your first you believe you will need all the companies tell you you just can’t live without.

A few things I bought and then never used, regretted later, or things I think are just dumb are:

• Infant sleep positioner.  I didn’t realize that babies don’t sleep! My first slept on me on the sofa for the first four or five months until I gave in and tried cosleeping (best decision ever). Co-slept with the twins in the double bled.
  • Baby hats and booties.  This one is my fault, I should have learned when we never used any with Sawyer. But expect the twins to be born small and in the midst of Canadian winter, I somehow collected tons of them. Everyone always seems to give them as gifts.  Sadly, I never used a one!
  • My Quinny Stroller.  I researched strollers up the wazoo but somehow got this one wrong. I also figured at the price ($800 for the set with bassinet) it would be top of the line. Hated it! It was huge, bulky, really difficult to collapse, and the tires constantly needed inflating (or worse replacement tubes).  Luckily, I got it for half price but I ended up dumping even more money into it on accessories because it didn’t come with any (like a cup holder and basket) and on the only compatible car seat (which costs $200!) Bright side is I sold it for $200 which was half the price of my new stroller.
  • Bucket Car seats. Okay, I admit you do need these, and they are very handy to put on the stroller or use as seats. But after spending $200 on mine for my son I was depressed when at 4.5 months he had outgrown it! What a waste.  With the twins I realized how great they actually are since I got to use them for longer, but not long enough!  I wish they made a bigger version because now that the twins have outgrown theirs it’s so hard getting them out of the stroller and buckled into the car seats, and then out of the seats and back in the stroller.
  • Car seat seatbelt magnets. Okay, I didn’t buy this one, I saw it at the Baby Show. You can use the magnets to hold back the car seat belts while placing the children in and out to prevent them from getting tangled. If you are laughing, so was I (and the seller was not to happy with me). How do you tangle carseat belts? I mean really? If you can’t handle that maybe you shouldn’t be reproducing. LOL
  • Baby Monitors. Okay, if you are rich and famous and have a big house and or yard go for it. In my house the babies are always with me anyways, and if they are in another room and crying, trust me, you’ll hear it!
  • XL Superyard. This one I agree is useful. However, I bought one new and only used it for a week. It took up so much space and just got in the way and Sawyer hated being in it. I am hoping it will come in handy for the girls at some point.
  • Nursing Cover Up. Yeah, after having to nurse in front of everyone at the hospital my stage fright was gone. It was a pain and silly. I think I used it twice, not for my own modesty but not to offend the company I was with.
  • Pee Pee Teepees. Seemed like a good idea. Everyone told me they’d help prevent my son from peeing on me. Yet, he never peed on me, I never used them and I now have twin girls who think it’s hilarious to pee all over the change table 🙂
  • My Brest Friend Twin Nursing Pillow.  This one was a regret.  I tried to use it but it was so big and rigid I hated it.  I felt trapped when I was nursing, which I couldn’t be with a two-year old.  I sold it and went back to my good old Jolly Jumper boomerang pillow which worked to tandem nurse the twins and then once I started feeding them separately (around three months).

So let’s hear it! What have you got suckered into, or seen for sale that just made you laugh. I know we’ve all done it at some point.

22 thoughts on “Useless Baby Products

1. I didn’t use the pillow either. I also didn’t tandem feed much. I know some that swear by It though!

Posted by Theresa | February 22, 2014, 11:48 am
    • Yeah, I get some pretty mean comments when I mention that new twin moms shouldn’t feel like they “must have one”. Do what works for you right? Although I have to say, you are the first one who has said they didn’t tandem feed much. Yay I am not alone! 🙂

Posted by Shannon | February 22, 2014, 12:26 pm
      • I have such a crazy let down it made Abby spit up and cough more when I tandem fed. And honestly I find it weird. It feels unnatural to me. I like snuggle time with each baby. And bc my reflex is so fast they finish fairly quickly.

Posted by Theresa | February 22, 2014, 12:27 pm
      • I agree so much! With one it was bonding. I could snuggle them and stroke their hair, or if I had to play with my son or cook dinner lol. With two I felt like I was doing some weird yoga trying to balance everything and then just when Id have it my son would need help to use the potty lol.

Posted by Shannon | February 22, 2014, 2:01 pm
  2. I know, I read somewhere that new parents are the most vulnerable to advertisers–sleep deprived, worried about their new babies. I had the same thing with the expensive stroller. It is giant and was Terrible to carry up and down my walk-up. Hoping it will come into its own now that I’m on the first floor, but we’ll see. I love the My Brest Friend pillow, have used mine into the ground and still using it even at nine months. The super-yard I am liking right now, though we’ll see how long it lasts. It is giving me peace of mind, but does mess up my living room.

Posted by sparrow | February 22, 2014, 11:54 am
    • Well, it is all about what works for you, but I definitely learned after #1 to wait and see what you actually need rather than letting people tell you what you will need. Congrats for still nursing at nine months, that’s when I started weaning to go back to work. You rock mama!

Posted by Shannon | February 22, 2014, 12:29 pm
  3. Not to mention the boots and hats never stay on!

Posted by Marissa Bergen | February 22, 2014, 1:58 pm
  4. I bought a nursing wrap as well and used it twice. LOL! I was planning to breastfeed for as long as I can and thought it was a good idea at the time. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen events that happened, I had to stop breastfeeding when my baby was three weeks old and was never able to use it again.
    As for the sleep positioner, I got one of those, too. My baby was able to use it on his first month only. Good thing that my friend was expecting a baby too so I gave it to her instead to be put to use for another month.
    And yes, there are a lot of stuff out there that seems like a good idea to buy, only it’s not so functional after a while. LOL!

Posted by chilledzhoul | February 22, 2014, 2:19 pm
    • Well especially when it’s your first so you really don’t know but want to be prepared. I waited on buying my breast pump with #1 just in case something happened. I saw a list of “must haves” on a site a few weeks ago and it was all overpriced garbage but there were thousands of poor suckers commenting “oh I want that” or “that is great”. I just laughed. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Posted by Shannon | February 22, 2014, 2:26 pm
  5. So true! If I had it to do all over again, I would save quite a bit of money not purchasing all of these “wonderful” things!

Posted by Cate Pane: The Clear Parent | February 22, 2014, 3:01 pm
  6. Lol. Bottle warmers and wipe warmers are probably 2 things I found completely useless (and didn’t buy!) As for this list, we used some of this stuff often! We have a super yard installed in our living room around our tv. I used a cover because I had to pump in public often. We used a baby monitor because our room is in the opposite side of the house as the kids’ rooms. Even though the house isn’t large, we all sleep with doors closed and white noise on so cries were often muffled. Anyway, it’s interesting to see how others get by without stuff you relied on and vice versa. That’s the magic of parenting!

Posted by Heather C | February 23, 2014, 10:48 am
    • I agree. I see so many “must have” lists where I never used any of it! I think the moral is to think twice, read reviews and wait until you actually have a need for something before you buy it 🙂 thanks for sharing.

Posted by Shannon | February 23, 2014, 12:22 pm
  7. My sister was at the baby shop buying a present and the woman in front of her was raving about sock-keepers. “They’re so good!” she enthused. “Before I used to lose all my baby socks, but since buying these sock-keepers I haven’t lost a single one! But I have lost all the sock-keepers, so have you got another half-dozen pack? I can only find this many on the shelf.”

Apparently they weren’t cheap. My kids always went barefoot or in footed onesies.

Posted by Bronwyn Joy @ Journeys Of The Fabulist | February 23, 2014, 11:52 am
  8. Haha so so true! I’m with at least half of these Shannon! But the one I put my foot down against was the baby monitor..we don’t live in a mansion..
    And yes I got used to the boob out thing in special care for 3weeks so had to practice feeding with a bra on when I went home, let alone a ‘hooter hider’ to deal with too. But I can see the use in that for some people I guess. Anything to help more breast feeding?

Posted by heidelightful | February 24, 2014, 6:22 am
    • That is true! Since I never invested in nursing tops of bras with #1 I would pull my boobs out through the necks of my shirts (I would wear low cut tops). With the twins I was so glad because you could nurse without showing everything and since I was nursing pretty much 24-7 it was helpful. Thanks for commenting!

Posted by Shannon | February 24, 2014, 7:40 am
  9. Reblogged this on The Late Blooming Stay-At-Home Mom and commented:
    Too good not to share, particularly for new moms who are staying at home and obsessing about getting all the “best” stuff for a new baby. A few more I’d add to the list are the Beaba Babycook and about half the One Step Ahead catalog.

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2014, 8:29 am
    • Thanks for the reblog. I know it totally depends on your situation as to which products are actually useful, just make sure to read reviews and wait until you actually find yourself needing something before you buy it. Cheers!

Posted by Shannon | February 25, 2014, 9:05 am
  10. I’m so disturbed by the Thongies. I sort of wish my niece wasn’t currently being potty trained. That could have been the perfect gift.

Posted by colgore | February 25, 2014, 3:00 pm