Twins/Toddler Tuesday

How Did I Almost Miss School Registration?

I do take pride in being a parent, I absolutely love it, but it always seems that just when I think I have everything all together, it turns out I am wrong.

Yesterday was a fun day. After work I stopped at Wal-Mart and bought a bunch of things to make Valentine’s day cards and presents with Sawyer. The girls were finally feeling better, and we took the dogs for a nice (cold and snowy) walk.  The house even looked good.  Then, while the girls were napping and Sawyer was eating I decided to pop on my phone for a minute.

I clicked on Facebook to see a friend updated her status to, ” Can’t believe my little girl registers for school this month, it feels like she was just born”.   All of the sudden it hit me.  Her daughter is the same age as my son!  He is supposed to register for school this month?

I went from feeling great to feeling awful.  How could I not know that he was supposed to register this month?  Am I a bad mother?  Am I so overwhelmed with daily life I didn’t think to check when registration was?  What is wrong with me that I am thinking about Valentine’s day and not thinking about important things like school?

So I quickly hopped online to check and it is indeed this month. Since school doesn’t start until September I figured I had more time to worry about looking up registration information.  I mean, it is the local public school.  Can they really refuse your child if you don’t register in February?  What if we didn’t move here until March?  In any case, these are questions I don’t want to find out the answers too.

Still, this does worry me a little.  As the kids get older am I going to be able to keep up with everything?  I feel like I am doing great now, but what happens when they have projects and recitals?  I don’t want to be the mom who always forgets everything or is not there for her children.

I suppose it’s always going to be different with Sawyer because he will be the first to do everything.  It is always scary venturing into new territory, whereas with the twins it will be easier because I will know what to expect.  After three babies I have really got that part down pat, but having a kindergartener is all new, and exciting but also kinda scary.

Sitting here writing this I still don’t know why I didn’t think to check earlier.  It’s not like I don’t think about the fact that he will be starting school often.  Yes, a have a thousand and one other things to remember from picking up bananas to scheduling the dogs grooming appointments to getting a dress for my friend’s wedding (not to mention my work life to do list) but still I have no excuse. I do always schedule things in my phone so I can remember and I am a big fan of to do list, but I think in this case, I just mis-prioritized because I assumed I had more time.

I suppose I am being a little hard on myself, since my life is full of those moments when you think you’ve got it all figured out only to discover you don’t, I guess I just don’t want this to become a habit.  Maybe I am just in denial that my little guy is going to be starting school next year and he won’t be my little baby anymore.

In the end, I called and was able to get the last appointment for February (which luckily was on my day off).  I was also able to book a doctor’s appointment for the day prior so that we can make sure he is up to date on all vaccines (we kept forgetting his record book so it needs to be filled out, a requirement).  Wish us luck!

Please share in the comments: Have you ever spaced on an important date before?  How do you go about ranking your priorities?

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children and expecting #4. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

17 thoughts on “How Did I Almost Miss School Registration?

1. I share your same worry , when i used to work i used to be constantly worried whether i missed some particular days at school like blue color day or get a vegetable day. So when other mom’s forgot i used to not be all judgmental.

Posted by khushnumab | February 24, 2014, 8:53 am
    • Yeah since my mom was a teacher that never happened to us so it will be an adjustment. I’d hate to think that parents judge each other on such silly things, but I guess they do. 😦 thanks for commenting.

Posted by Shannon | February 24, 2014, 9:06 am
  2. Shannon, I think you may be being too hard on yourself 🙂 Every single one of us has done many of these little uh-oh’s and will do many more before our kids grow up no matter how diligent we try to be. It’s OK…

I think once Sawyer starts school, things might get slightly better. I was really worried like you were when my daughter started school this year. During a birthday party very early on in the school term, one mom took the initiative to collect everyone’s contact info and set up a facebook group. Over the course of the year, more and more parents have joined in and it’s such a help to keep track of things and stay on top of what’s going on. I’ve heard from other friends that they have whatsapp groups, or neighbors who’ve got kids in the same school and ad-hoc hangouts in the evenings and so on. Eventually, you’ll belong to some group and have each other’s back, and things’ll work out….

Posted by Sumitha (@afineparent) | February 24, 2014, 10:55 am
    • Thanks so much for your reassurance. I think having a Facebook page or something for parents is a great idea. Normally I am not so picky, but since I was automatically comparing myself to the mom who did remember (we were academic rivals all throughout junior school) it upset me that she one upped me (which is of course silly). Thanks so much for continuing to read. I hope you liked last week’s article on what moms can learn from dads and stay tuned for tomorrows on how to coach your children 🙂

Posted by Shannon | February 24, 2014, 11:06 am
      • Loved the article about what we can learn from dads! While I’ve learnt some really great things from my husband over time, the y chromosome deficiency keeps me from ever doing some of the others (like totally mismatched outfits or letting our daughter play with touchpad for hours on end so he can catch a game on TV!) — Thank goodness 🙂 I’ll look out for tomorrow’s article. Love the way you write (though for the life of me I can’t figure out how you can keep up with the 5 days a week posting schedule!)

Posted by afineparent | February 24, 2014, 8:48 pm
      • It’s a lot of work as I am sure you know (especially with Facebook, Twitter etc.) I usually write two or three articles at a time and I space it out so I have a big article, some lighter ones, some pictures and then a top 10 or product review or something. I just love writing its so cathartic, although some days I get so caught up reading and learning I have no time to write myself! Things at work are slow so I am only doing 40 hours, but when things pick up I am sure ill have to cut back.

Posted by Shannon | February 24, 2014, 9:03 pm
    • P.s. great stats for only five months of blogging, I love your website 🙂

Posted by Shannon | February 24, 2014, 11:08 am
  3. Glad you got that appointment and it sounds like it will all work out! And don’t be hard on yourself, you found out what you needed to and got things done! We’re not perfect and can’t expect to be.

Posted by sparrow | February 24, 2014, 11:05 am
    • Thanks! Still I feel like I had no excuse. It would be nice to have friends with kids who I could talk about this with but if I say it to colleagues or whatever I’ll just get judged you know. Thanks for the support 🙂

Posted by Shannon | February 24, 2014, 11:07 am
  4. It’s funny because so many parents see children as diapers and early development but as a children get older they are completely new issues that come up. It never ends! The being said, I’ve seen tons of moms scrambling for the school registration deadlines. I actually thought registration was open until the school closed for the previous year. Not to mention mid-year transfer kids. Oh well, you know what they say, almost doesn’t count!

Posted by Marissa Bergen | February 24, 2014, 11:44 am
    • Thanks for sharing your perspective. I agree that every time you get one thing down a new one comes up. That was how I felt 24/7 until the twins came and then I was like “yeah I got this” …just not all the time apparently lol thanks so much!

Posted by Shannon | February 24, 2014, 12:40 pm
  5. I agree–you have to give yourself some grace. It’s so hard to juggle so much! I have zero (ok, two really weak) suggestions…I use the calendar on my iPhone and set multiple reminders (one week before, two days before, one day before, two hours before, etc.) to keep important appointments on my radar. I also set things I need to accomplish (like bills to pay or thank you notes to write or birthday cards to send) out on my kitchen counter where I can see them to remind myself of what I need to finish. Even then something always slips my mind. If you find a great system, please share!

Posted by livinginthedeepend | February 24, 2014, 3:15 pm
    • Thanks! I definitely live and die by my phone but I had nothing to put in it in this case because I hadn’t yet bothered to look up when registration was! Oops. Thanks for cutting me some slack, I feel validated 🙂

Posted by Shannon | February 24, 2014, 4:15 pm
  6. I space out all the time and I could list the times to make you feel better, but at risk of making myself feel worse I won’t! Love your blog! Thank you for checking out mine!

Posted by thatmominchelsea | March 25, 2014, 2:04 pm