Twins/Toddler Tuesday

Giving Up the Cable T.V.

notvSince things have been so much better since we decided to turn off the TV we have decided that we can save a lot of money by giving up the cable.

Well, okay, for now we are downgrading to basic cable since my parents tend to watch the news and stuff when they are over.  Since Daddy and I do watch a lot of shows and movies online and we have Netflix we have decided to upgrade our internet in addition to downgrading the cable.  These small changes are going to save us $720 a year (hooray).

It’s funny because for years I had no cable television, just my rabbit ears and eight or so local stations (yes I am old).  But when Daddy and I moved in together cable was a must for him because he is such a huge sports fan.  Next thing I know we had digital cable, HD, and the French package.  At the time I was okay with it since I discovered the food network and really enjoyed watching it (that channel has since gone down the drain).

While big changes can be hard, implementing them gradually over time makes them a lot easier to swallow.  My son doesn’t even ask for cartoons anymore.  Instead we spend much more time reading, doing crafts, playing, and doing chores.  In fact, one day when I did say he could watch cartoons for a half hour, he said “but mommy, they are bad for me”!

craftsWe still watch movies and now that the TV is mostly off he really watches them, whereas before they were just background noise.  It was so annoying when he would put on a movie I didn’t like but I would swallow it for a break and then he wouldn’t watch it anyways, I got no break, but stuck listening to the awful movie (if you have not seen the live action Thomas movie then you are lucky).

Sawyer also has a Leapster Explorer that he can play with for some “quiet” time.  The thing is amazing, it takes pictures and videos, has a virtual pet you take care of, and has a variety of extremely educational games and activities.  He has already learned how to write many of the letters of the alphabet because of it.

I am also happy because since Sawyer was #1 he was not exposed to television at the young age the girls are.  While I actually can’t help but smile and laugh as they sing and dance along with the Wiggles, that’s about as far as I want them to go, and I could tell they were “watching” too much because Sawyer was as well.

And with spring around the corner…hopefully…and we can go outside again it will be even better (or at least get even easier).

So if you haven’t done it already, I strongly urge you to give up the t.v. as much as you can.  It is more work, but it is totally worth it.  And like I said, once you get used to it, you won’t even notice anymore.

Cheers!

16 thoughts on “Giving Up the Cable T.V.

1. So happy for you! Such a good idea! Alas my husband is such a huge sports fan.

Posted by runningafterale | April 4, 2014, 9:04 am
    • Umm, mine has shrines in our house to the Pittsburgh Steelers and Montreal Canadiens not to mention enough jerseys in his closet to clothe and entire team. But since Rogers picked up the hockey it’s on basic cable and we have a chromecast so he can stream his soccer etc on the tv. You can do it!

Posted by Shannon | April 4, 2014, 10:31 am
  2. Congratulations! You’ll have so much more time on your hands now that you’ve done this…. Wait, we did this a couple of years back… where’s all that extra time I’m supposed to be having? Ah, I forgot that we blog… forget what I said about the “extra” time 🙂

On a more serious note, we use a service here called Roku which lets us watch netflix and a bunch of other stuff on the TV. I’ve had a few friends switch to Chromecast and they swear by it! I think there are more such Internet TV options you can look into, should you start missing the cable…

Posted by afineparent | April 4, 2014, 9:27 am
    • We actually have Netflix and a just got a chromecast. The only down side is they are not as good as the American versions, but they are mostly for Daddy anyways. I get my tv from couch tuner anyway. Cheers!

Posted by Shannon | April 4, 2014, 10:33 am
  3. great job giving up tv!! Around here we only watch early in the am, and at night. We haven’t had cable for a very long time and my kids really watch the movies we put in. It was always used just for a break that’s all. I never liked the kids to just watch tv, and when we are at grandparents houses, they get frustrated because the tv is always on and my kids are glued to it! But I will not change my stance on tv. Its a tool to be used occasionally that’s all.
    Oh– I some of my older boys were totally into Thomas and anything trains– we watched Thomas over and over and over!! I know exactly what you mean!!!!!!!!!

Posted by vrein11 | April 4, 2014, 9:40 am
    • Thanks! Honestly it’s been over a month since we have it up and I haven’t looked back. Now it was just a matter of making it official (and now we get to save $$$) 🙂 it’s nice to hear from other mothers who share my stance on tv. Cheers!

Posted by Shannon | April 4, 2014, 10:35 am
  4. We cancelled our cable 2 years ago and saved $150 a month! We never really liked watching TV and actually I am relieved that kids cannot just switch on the TV and watch programs whenever they want because they are still too you do to work out the Apple TV through my iPhone Apps mouaaaa devious mama!!!

Posted by redlipstickmama | April 4, 2014, 12:40 pm
  5. This is awesome and so truly benefitting! 🙂 Am blessed! I remember our Sunday School teachers telling us to stay away from the evils of TV but I could not fathom then.
    While they may not be ‘evils’ by themselves, we need to discipline ourselves into ‘mindful watching’. I especially liked it when your son said, “but mommy, they are bad for me!” Kudos to you dear momma! Loved it! 🙂

Posted by Precious Awakening | April 5, 2014, 1:43 am
  6. I’ve been thinking of getting rid of cable myself. I pay for hundreds of channels and only watch a handful. I have been watching tv shows and movies online and I have netflix.

Posted by Cheryl Wright | April 6, 2014, 6:00 am
  7. My wife and I gave up cable when we moved a little over a year ago. Although I do miss my sports (3 of the 4 local teams I follow only show games on cable), I really don’t miss it. We have been trying to be much more intentionally about quality family time, and I believe you can’t have that while glued to the tube.

Of course, now we spend nearly as much time watching Netflix as we spent with cable, but one battle at a time…

Posted by eccentricfatherhood | April 7, 2014, 12:39 pm
    • Thanks for sharing. From a watching perspective you are right about Netflix (we also have a chromecast) but from a money perspective it’s a win. Plus since you have to go on Netflix with a purpose its still less tempting than just flicking the on switch without thinking. Have a great day,

Posted by Shannon | April 7, 2014, 1:30 pm
  8. I am a TV addict, but I don’t want Sammy to become one. The hubs and I are also thinking about giving up the cable and just having Netflix and chromecast. How does chromescast work? Do you recommend?

Posted by thingsheatherlearnedtoday | April 7, 2014, 11:11 pm
    • We just got ours a couple of weeks ago and for the low price of $40 you could not ask for more. It streams Netflix better than our Blue Ray player does, and you can cast anything from the web. SO for example, yesterday we were streaming the latest episode of Game of Thrones (via couch tuner) right on to our tv so we could watch it (of course we don’t have HBO lol). If you are in the States you also have a bigger selection of apps for it like Hulu etc. It’s neat too because with the app on your phone (or tablet) you can control your tv without your remote. For the price I would say worth it, but keep in mind we are tech savvy, have smartphones, have a wireless network, and know which websites to go to for free streaming movies and TV. Oh, and also make sure you have enough bandwidth. We were pushing 80GB with our Netflix so when we cancelled the cable we upgraded to 300MB. If you have any other questions let me know.

Posted by Shannon | April 8, 2014, 6:10 am