Ect., PROJECT ME

I Finally Rode My Bike to Work

Me at 5:10 am about to embark on my journey.

Me at 5:10 am about to embark on my journey.

That’s right.  This Sunday (30th) I decided to say FU to winter and ride my bike to work.

However, mother nature said FU right back at me and the morning commute was awful.  Even though it was 0 degrees, when you are going 32km/hour on a bike with wind it felt like -30 (and after this winter I am very familiar with what that feels like)!  Since I was wearing my helmet I couldn’t wear a hat and my ears and face were frozen.  Tears actually started streaming down my face.  I had two pairs of stretchy gloves on because I didn’t want to wear bulky mitts and my fingers had mild frostbite.  By the end of the journey I was so cold and shaking so violently I actually toppled the bike and cracked my “trunk”.  Lesson learned.

BUT…

On the way home I had the freaking best time of my life!  It was great.  I rode along in the sunshine with my music on (at a low-level).  When the ground was level I would pedal for a while and get my heart pumping and legs working and then I would take a break and just ride.  A few people actually honked and waved at me 🙂  About one-third of the way in I started singing at the top of my lungs (who cares who hears) and it felt good.  It was like all the cobwebs inside me that had developed over the winter were getting cleared out and my body was cleansing itself.

The commute only took me about 45 minutes which is shorter than I expected.  When I got home I felt so good, and I was on a good mood and had so much fun playing with the kids.  It did start to hit me a bit when we walked the dogs (the stroller seemed particularly heavy) but even today (the morning after) I still feel great. AND I WANT MORE!!!

Here are a few of the things I learned on my first ride:

1. Riding a bike is so much less stressful than driving because I just putter along doing my thing.

2.  The roads in Toronto have been ruined this winter.  Half the time I had to practically ride in the middle of the road because of al the huge potholes in the road.

3. Time is relative.  It usually takes me about 25-30 minutes (give or take depending on traffic).  I drive the DVP where the limit is 90 km/hour.  So, I figured since I would be riding at an average speed of about 25km/ hour it would take me at least an hour.  Not so.  It took me 45 minutes which makes sense since the commute is about 17km.  Just goes to show how much time gets eaten up by sitting in traffic.

4.  Due to the horrible conditions of the road, using the coffee cup holder I installed did not go so well.  Even only half full I arrived at work covered in coffee.  I hadn’t planned on using it but near work I was so frozen I had to run into 7-11 to get something hot because I was dying).

5.  I love the banana seat!  It is so comfy and because it is so long it actually ended up supporting me and my backpack (which is great for my back).

6.  I have to wait until it warms up more to ride again 😦  It is going to be really hard now that I know what fun it is, but that morning experience definitely taught me a lesson.

Oh, and I apologize to all the drivers I probably pissed off.  You were expecting me to go fast because I was on an e-bike and then because I was pedalling I was only going 17 km per hour.  A girl’s gotta get her exercise!

Have a great day everyone!

To learn more about e-bikes click here.

16 thoughts on “I Finally Rode My Bike to Work

1. You had me laughing with you and angry for you with the conditions. Here is to better weather and roads.

Posted by onewayhealthier | April 6, 2014, 7:29 am
  2. Awesome job! I can’t bike to work as I need my car for traveling to meetings 😦 However, I love when I get the chance to walk to a meeting or have a “walking meeting” instead of sitting inside. The roads in NS are terrible too – what a winter we’ve all had!
    Good for you!

Posted by Piper's Run | April 6, 2014, 8:07 am
    • Thanks! I used to rollerblade which I much prefer but I moved from 8km away to 18km so its too far. I have started bring my blades to work though and going on my lunch. Walk meetings are an interesting idea, although the Health and Safety professional in me screams that is so unsafe LOL. You do what you can when you have a busy life right? Thanks for reading 🙂

Posted by Shannon | April 6, 2014, 8:21 am
  3. I never would have braved the weather like this and biked – I’m impressed and glad your ride home was a more pleasant experience!

Posted by Laura | April 6, 2014, 8:38 am
  4. When I lived and practiced in downtown Toronto, I basically cycled or walked everywhere. It was such an empowering and fun existence. Now that we live in the ‘burbs and my work is a city away, it’s not feasible anymore. I’m so jealous! Bring on the warmth- wishing you many wonderful rides to come.

Posted by mamaetmaman | April 6, 2014, 9:16 am
    • Thanks! Commuting sucks! When I started at my current job I lived 5 minutes away. After moving twice since then it is now a half hour on the parkway. But it is nicer to live in the suburbs than downtown (and cheaper!) Cheers 🙂

Posted by Shannon | April 6, 2014, 12:04 pm
  5. Gosh!!! You’re crazy, Shannon! Has anyone ever told you that yet? 🙂

P.S.: Do you read the mrmoneymustache blog? It’s one of the other blogs that I religiously follow and he’s a very outspoken anti-driving, biking enthusiast. I just don’t get the whole “biking” thing though!

P.P.S: If you ever consider moving to US, you should check out Austin, TX. It’s a city of bike enthusiasts and the city is quite cyclist-friendly too… lots of bike lanes and bicycle trails. And the weather is great for biking most part of the year — I see cyclists on the streets almost year round. Did I mention, I just don’t get the whole “biking” thing though?

Posted by Sumitha (@afineparent) | April 6, 2014, 10:33 am
    • Lol! I do prefer to rollerblade but now we just live to far. I realized years ago that the best way to get exercise is to fit it into your schedule (and mine is pretty packed). I’m fact, I am on my lunch break right now ans about to go for a quick rollerblade 🙂 I’ll have to check out that blog, sounds good. Cheers!

Posted by Shannon | April 6, 2014, 12:06 pm
  6. I’ve always wanted a bike but too scared to learn. I attempted once and it did not end very well, haven’t tried again since. 😦

Posted by The Vanilla Housewife | April 6, 2014, 11:14 pm