Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions, Top Tens/Lists, Uncategorized

Top 10: Reasons Why Twins Are Easier Than Singletons

twinsMost people cringe at the thought of having two babies at the same time, but being a mother of twins does have it’s perks.  Usually these secrets are highly guarded by us moms of multiples but I am going to let you in on the fact that while it may look hard, really it’s not that bad at all.

Here are 10 reasons why I think having twins is easier than just one baby or two children that are different ages.

1. Help. While people may ooh and ahh over your newborn at the grocery store, when they see you have twins most people will offer you help.  Whether it’s grabbing something off a shelf or holding a door so you can get through, most people feel for you and are these little acts of kindness can go a long way.

2. Gifts.  We got so many gifts with the twins it was amazing.  Especially since etiquette is really you only have a baby shower for #1  (and then that stuff gets passed along).  So while I wasn’t expecting anything, we got literally showered in gifts, double what we got for Sawyer with no baby shower.  Plus, we got send flowers and gift baskets when they were born (which we did not get for #1).

3. People expect less.  I get so many compliments because colleagues are always impressed that I show up to work on time and looking put together just because I have twins.  You walk the dogs everyday… with twins… wow!  “Look at that mom drinking coffee over there with twins, I don’t know how she does it”.

4. This one is probably more unique to me, but I get to do hand-me-downs.  Babies outgrow clothing so quickly half of it barely gets used before it gets put away or passed along.  Since I had two girls and they are different sizes, when June outgrows something I can pass it down to Sansa, which means I actually get my money’s worth.

5.  Less waste.  I always felt like we wasted so much food with Sawyer since babies eat such tiny portions and can like something one day and not the next.  With two babies, odds are someone is going to eat it, and you don’t have 50 little containers of odds and ends in the fridge all the time.

6. Twins are at the same stage at the same time.  It’s really more like having a baby and a half.  You are changing diapers anyways so you just change two.  You are feeding anyways, you just feed two.  But two children at different stages can mean two sets of meals, two different bed times, and two types of toys (or rather trying to keep the older one’s toys away from the younger ones).

7. Born playmates.  Yes, they fight too, just like all siblings, but they do spend a lot of time keeping each other entertained, whereas with siblings (depending on the age gap) they may not get along so well, at least until they are older.

8.  You only have one pregnancy and newborn stage.  Don’t get me wrong since you are still doing the work of two in one, but it is just one.  This means you get an instant family while only having to take one maternity leave (which can benefit your career/ income) and if you don’t like being up all night feeding and changing diapers, you only have to do it once.

9.  They are in the same grade.  This means that you only have one school to drive to, one set of awards, ceremonies, plays, PTA meetings, etc. to go to instead of two.

10.  You have the best excuse in the world.  No, I am sorry I can’t go to your party, I have twins.  Oh, sorry my car is a mess, I have twins.  My socks don’t match? Oh sorry, I have twins.  Kids are having a spaz in the grocery store? “Oh, that poor mother trying to do her groceries with twins”.

Well there you have it.  Keep in mind this list is based solely on my experience so if you moms of older twins out there have more to add feel free!

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children and expecting #4. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

17 thoughts on “Top 10: Reasons Why Twins Are Easier Than Singletons

1. Amen 🙂

Posted by Theresa | April 7, 2014, 7:22 am
  2. Unfortunately I got very little help, less than with my singleton, no extra gifts (unless you count Christmas which was a few outfits and toys) and I lost many friends because no one lowered their expectations. That said, the playmate thing is my absolute favorite part about them. It trumps anything else, even the bad. I wouldn’t wish for twins again and I would likely go into the same hyperventilating shock I did the first time if we found ourselves pregnant with another set. I would take 2 pregnancies and births over a twin one any day.

As for advice, I love the age my girls are at. It’s a perfect sweet spot. Talking and walking but still let me baby them. We have so much fun now. So the good news is there’s a lot to look forward to still. One thing I’ve learned though (because the days are more chaotic and busy with chasing 3) is that I am not a victim. Having twins isn’t a handicap. If I don’t want to go to a party or something is a mess or doesn’t match, it’s because of how I have managed with being tired and having 3 kids, not because I have twins. Pushing all those negative excuses onto the twins will hurt in the long run. I learned shortly after their first birthday that it’s not their fault if I can’t accomplish something or have a bad moment. This lesson has brought so much more joy to our days. 🙂

Posted by Heather C | April 7, 2014, 8:23 am
    • I am really sorry to hear that that your experience wasn’t as good as mine. But again, I wanted twins so my perspective of the situation is also going to be different. Plus, everyone’s experience is different, I was just making generalizations. I hope I didn’t offend you. And I totally agree that the limits you set for yourself are only in your mind, and I would never use having twins to excuse myself from something, it’s just a handy excuse for others when you need one for something you weren’t going to do anyway. Have a great day.

Posted by Shannon | April 7, 2014, 8:36 am
  3. Check on numbers 1, 2, 5, 6, 8. On #3 I hope I’d look put together when I get back to work. #4 is NA since I have B/G frat twins. Cant wait to experience #7 and #9. I’d like to put a check on #10 but im not so sure… I haven’t really used them as an excuse but people assume I cant go to parties since i have twins.. Would that be the same thing? Anyways, thumbs up to this post.

Posted by mrspunkandpretty | April 7, 2014, 10:26 am
  4. This post tickled me! Especially the ‘best excuse in the world’ part. Hey, how could we be good mommies without exercising our sense of humor, right? The born playmate is the absolute truth in our house. My girls may have very different personalities, but get them in a situation where they feel a little anxious (going somewhere new, trying a new sport, plug in anything here….) and the hold hands and give each other comfort and courage. It really makes up for the times they try to fight to the death over who gets to pick the next episode of Caillou.

Posted by whyistherebreadinmykoolaid | April 7, 2014, 10:38 am
    • Thinking of twins holding hands is so sweet, only tarnished by the thought of watching any episodes of Caillou lol. I am very glad you got my humor and enjoyed the post. Have a great day 🙂

Posted by Shannon | April 7, 2014, 10:41 am
  5. I don’t have twins, but I have two that are 13 months apart as well as a 6 year old. I am living the never ending stages with my younger ones. Diapering has been never ending, teething feels like there’s no end in sight. Definite benefit to having twins. Granted, people usually assume that I/we can’t do things or go places because, like you said, we have three kids and two toddlers. That’s our ‘challenge’. I loved the humour in this post. Definitely put a smile on my face!

Posted by Discombobulated Mom | April 7, 2014, 4:29 pm
  6. I agree, it is a good excuse, and people are always impressed when they learn you have twins, which is fun. And the born playmate part, yes yes yes. But the newborn stage…I can’t even remember it, or the first few months. It’s all a blue if no sleep. And the pregnancy in my case, and early birth– I would not wish that on anyone. But I love my twin babies and feel so lucky to have them both!

Posted by sparrow | April 7, 2014, 6:05 pm
  7. Number 3 made me laugh out loud! And I totally agree with numbers 5, 6, and 7. My identical twin girls also parent and nurture me, their older brother, and each other, usually making life that much easier (I emphasize the “usually” part as sometimes they go overboard and I need to remind them that I’M the parent). Twins are so remarkable and such blessings!

Posted by liane {meraki geek} | April 7, 2014, 6:11 pm