Ect., Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions, Twin Pics, Twins/Toddler Tuesday

Family Bathtime/ A Lesson In Being Ready

I never thought I would have been able to bathe three littles, but now, lo and behold, I do it by myself all the time!

I think this is important because not only has it taught me about giving three children a bath, I have learned an important lesson about being ready.  When the twins were born I did have confidence in my abilities since they were #2 and #3 but there were so many things I still had to work up the courage to do.  The first time I took them out for a walk.  The first time we all went to Wal-Mart together.  The first road trip.  The first joint bath time.

In the beginning I never could have believed I would be able to do this things, but as time passed there came a day when I felt “ready” and positive or negative outcome I felt ready and willing to give it my best shot.  No matter what happened I was proud of myself for trying and saw every opportunity as a learning experience.

When it comes to our kids, I often wonder how much push is too much.  While our children may need us to help motivate them and give them the confidence they need to succeed, how much do we push?  I can only imagine how I would have felt if I had been forced into these scenarios.  Most likely would I not only have felt unsuccessful, after the bad experience I would be in no hurry to try again.

Putting myself in the shoes of my kids I now think about this every time my son says he doesn’t want to try something new.  If he is not ready, who am I to tell him that he is?  I know I wouldn’t appreciate it.  While it can be frustrating at times (although mostly okay since my son is very independent and usually does things before I think he’s ready) I have learned a valuable lesson about walking in his shoes and I am less forceful with him about those things.

We are all ready when we are ready.  It’s just something we just know, a feeling inside.

In the meantime, enjoy the fun bath time pics 🙂  I usually do all three at once, but so I could have a free hand to take pics I limited it to two at a time.

14 thoughts on “Family Bathtime/ A Lesson In Being Ready

1. I just wish I had the willingness to try more events and outings when I was a first time mom. There were so many things I didn’t do when I only had one kid. I did them when I had two though.

Posted by organizednowplease | April 8, 2014, 7:53 am
  2. This actually reminds me of when we went from 2 to 3 kids. I had at least 2 to learn on before the 3rd came along!! I was also intimidated by the thought of going anywhere with 3! I actually called my sister to go with me, but she refused. Hubby was, as always, working 10 or more hours a day so I couldn’t count on him. I had to suck it up and learn how to do it myself! I finally did it and was so proud of myself for accomplishing the seemingly impossible task!!!! Its a great feeling!!
    Enjoy those bathtimes!! believe it or not, it really does slip away so fast!!

Posted by vrein11 | April 8, 2014, 10:30 am
  3. Would you be able to tell me where you got the inflatable tub for your bub? I’ve been searching but haven’t found one like that. Thanks! 🙂

Posted by la_babcock | April 8, 2014, 2:00 pm
    • It is from safety first I got mine at winners but I think they have them at babies r us. It was only like $14 too, I love it. Great for the “in between phase” going from newborn basin to full tub. My friends tell me a Rubbermaid laundry bin also works well for that. Cheers!

Posted by Shannon | April 8, 2014, 2:28 pm
      • Great, thank you so much! We are in that “in between phase” and this looks like it works great. Thanks again!

Posted by la_babcock | April 8, 2014, 2:36 pm
  4. “We are all ready when we are ready. It’s just something we just know, a feeling inside.” So true and very wisely stated!

Posted by Cate Pane: The Clear Parent | April 8, 2014, 4:13 pm
  5. Awesome. admire your courage and approach to life.
    Pictures are too sweet.

Posted by nirupamaprv | April 8, 2014, 5:39 pm
  6. Sometimes I actually think this is WHY we were chosen as MoMs… To push us to do things we are capable of but maybe never would have tried. If I can I opt for help with all 3 because it’s just exhausting but in the instances when I do the grocery shopping at 4 stores with all 3 by myself, I feel like I have super powers!

(PS our tub isn’t big enough for 3. I have these imagines of bath night being so cute and funny. I’ll have to save those hopes for when we move and hopefully have a master tub)

Posted by Heather C | April 8, 2014, 11:37 pm
  7. brave brave soul you are …. I break my back and curse silently a zillion times when I bathe my lil monkey. And I am talking of 1 BOY here. ACK!

Posted by MommyBegins | April 9, 2014, 12:22 am
    • LOL Thanks! The hardest part is the before when everyone is trying to dive in with their clothes on, and the after when I am trying to get them dressed and they run away naked and diaperless and while I am struggling with one the other leaves a puddle lol. Cheers!

Posted by Shannon | April 9, 2014, 6:44 am