Infertility, Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions

My Happiness Comes From Pretending Everyone Is Fat

wpid-infertility-2.jpgI am sure you have heard about the visualization technique whereby you gain confidence by picturing the audience naked.  Well, I figured out my own technique and so far it works great.

As the warm weather arrives and the winter coats come, off the pregnant bellies seem to be everywhere.  And while seeing them should not bother me, I am sad to say it does.  I am working very hard on my issues but at this point I still get very upset surrounded by pregnant women because I am not able to come to terms with my condition.

The other day I was having a great rollerblade on my lunch break.  It’s like rolling meditation.  So peaceful in my own little world.  Then, as I was crossing the street to get back to work a woman practically shoved her bump in my face.  My smile fell and my peace was shattered.

Suddenly, I had a thought.  “Just pretend she is fat”.  I did.  And I laughed…and laughed…and laughed.  “Wow” I thought to myself.  “That chick is huge! She needs to cut back on the burritos, or maybe get some exercise”.  My skinny 118lb self laughed and laughed.  Then I laughed at myself for laughing.

So from now on there is no such thing as pregnant women only fat people.  If that’s what it takes to get through my day, then that’s what it takes.

P.S. I do not mean to offend anyone who is overweight with the term “fat” but that is how I need to see it.

All fat!

All fat!

Have you ever tried your own visualization techniques?  Did they work?

17 thoughts on “My Happiness Comes From Pretending Everyone Is Fat

1. HA!!! I love it!
    I’m trying that next time!

Posted by faithinfertile | April 13, 2014, 12:24 pm
  2. Lol! You should have written this when four years ago when I was TTC my son. I work in a school with a lot of young teachers. I remember feeling resentful towards them because I was having trouble conceiving.

Posted by mommytrainingwheels | April 13, 2014, 1:33 pm
  3. I steer clear of asking any woman if she is pregnant. Its usually easy to spot though: constant belly rubbing in a circular motion, hand on belly and the wattle towards the end. and yes, there are pregnant bellies everywhere. It was a harsh winter so its to be expected ^ ^

Posted by sweetlittlenetwork | April 13, 2014, 5:24 pm
  4. I’m still having trouble too seeing newborns and pregnant bellies. I thought I would be fine after I finally had a baby. Wrong!!! I shall have to try this.

Posted by journeyformybaby | April 14, 2014, 12:44 am
    • You know I thought the same thing! You have NO IDEA what RELIEF it is to hear that someone else feels the way I do. I thought once I had my baby and “conquered” my IF it wouldn’t matter any more but it still does. In fact as time goes on it seems to get worse. I read about it and it may be having to do with grieving the loss of being able to conceive a child the old fashioned way (it has always been a dream to get a “surprise” BFP) and part of it has to do with my loss, but I feel like it makes no sense that I would be so upset, and yet, here I am. Really I thought I was the only one in the world and that I am an awful person. DO you think it will ever go away? Wow! That was a can of worms open first thing Monday morning! LOL Anyways, thanks for reading.

Posted by Shannon | April 14, 2014, 6:14 am
      • I kind of think its not ever going to go away for me because I think I will always grieve that inability to have a baby naturally. And even in the incredible event that I should conceive naturally, there are still all the IF scars so I’m thinking I will always be a bit jealous over good old fashioned baby bumps and babies in general. You definitely are not alone!!

Posted by journeyformybaby | April 14, 2014, 10:46 pm
      • Here’s to us both getting surprise BFPs someday so we can test our theories 😉

Posted by Shannon | April 14, 2014, 11:18 pm
      • Amen!!!!! 🙂

Posted by journeyformybaby | April 14, 2014, 11:19 pm
  5. A very intelligent one . now why didn’t psychologists think of this 🙂

Posted by MommyBegins | April 14, 2014, 1:30 am
    • Ha Ha! Probably because it’s not a nice thing to do! lol It just happens to work for me because my weight is one of my triumphs. I was a very heavy child and have worked hard my whole life to be thin and fit so not only is it taking away their pregnancy it is also boosting me because I work so hard not to be thin. Thanks for reading.

Posted by Shannon | April 14, 2014, 6:08 am