Infertility, Top Tens/Lists

Top 10: Craziest Things I Have Done While TTC

peeMany of us out there get a little crazy when we are trying to get pregnant.  We spend hundreds of dollars buying things to pee on, or finding ouselves thinking and talking in TTC acronyms.  But as you probably know by now, I have a knack for the extreme.  So have laugh with today’s top 10 craziest things I have done while TTC.

10.  I have carefully labelled and catalogued all my pee sticks (opks and hpts) along the way for further reference.

9.  I have peed in a cup in my car to test for pregnancy…more than once.

8.  I have carried around jars of urine in my bag so that I could test during my Clearblue fertility monitor window (when I was doing night shift).

7.  I scratched my car on the side of the parking garage because I wanted to get home ASAP while my son was napping so we could baby dance.

6.  I have purchased questionable supplements off Kijiji because I though they might help me get pregnant (specifically DHEA, which is technically illegal in Canada).

5. I have tried to reuse a pregnancy test.

4. I have mixed and injected myself with medications while driving on the expressway (to be fair it was stop and go in rush hour).

3. I practically jumped off a moving bus because I was surrounded (and by surrounded I mean there were three) pregnant women around me and I was having a panic attack.

2. I refused medication in the hospital because I told the doctor I might be pregnant.  I will never forget the look on his face when he ran a blood test and told me it was fine because I wasn’t, and I still refused because I told him I was only 6DPO so of course he wouldn’t be able to tell yet.

1.  I didn’t tell Daddy I was pregnant (with the twins) until I was just shy of nine weeks along.

So be honest, what’s the craziest thing you have ever done while TTC?  I am sure I can’t be the only one out there…I hope LOL

13 thoughts on “Top 10: Craziest Things I Have Done While TTC

1. I had a MC in 2010 and really struggled with the emotions. After I ‘healed’ I wanted to get pregnant right away so I got OPK’s. I researched like a crazy person and found that you should have sex a couple days up to the positive OPK and then after as well. I remember my saying to my husband, ‘pause the Netflix, it’s baby time!’ He responded with, ‘I’m not taking of my shirt, or my socks, or my glasses.’ I still laugh about that.

Posted by findingcoopersvoice | April 22, 2014, 8:54 am
  2. I had seen on “Untold Moments in the ER” a doctor use blood on a pregnancy test. I googled it and thought that it might work. I got a dollar tree test and pricked my fingers (all 5 on my left hand) with a lancet but wasn’t getting enough blood out to adequately move the blood across the testing window so I decided to prick the vein in my wrist. Needless to say, the wrist is not somewhere you should try to get blood from. My wrist bubbled up and so I began to massage it, and when I did blood started squirting from all 5 fingers. Blood got EVERYWHERE!

I won’t be trying that again, no matter how desperate I am.

Posted by Eventual Momma | April 22, 2014, 10:35 am
  3. Oh how I love this post! After a while, I started researching how feng-shui (which I have never believed in) could help me. I bought two small wooden elephants which I placed in the doorway to my bedroom (because elephants are supposed to bring about fertility). I completely shut down and didn’t share my internal struggles with anyone (well, except with my boyfriend who had to put up with my very romantic mood-swings lol). Oh and when I finally DID test positive (at about 5 weeks), it took me 5 different pregnancy tests over the course of 3 weeks before I told my partner and hearing the heart at my first ob/gyn visit before actually believing it enough to tell anyone else.

Posted by mommytrainingwheels | April 22, 2014, 12:04 pm
    • That is awesome. Feng shui is one I did not try LOL. I didn’t want to tell anyone for a long time about the pregnancy but I finally relented at 11 weeks and everyone just said “well it’s about time!” (I was clearly showing). I did tell a coworker early on since I puked all over the office and her desk around 7 weeks because of morning sickness hee hee. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Posted by Shannon | April 22, 2014, 12:30 pm
  4. Well you definitely aren’t the only one!! And I’ve most certainly tried to reuse HPTs and had many awkward moments trying to bd on time.

Posted by journeyformybaby | April 22, 2014, 1:04 pm
  5. I pulled a peed on pregnancy test from the garbage two days later to double check it. (Interestingly, I had thrown it away when a line did not show up immediately. When I retrieved it from the trash a line was there – and it was NOT an evap line!)

Posted by Theresa | April 22, 2014, 8:25 pm