Ect.

Surprise! Your Getting A New Job!!!

successHUH!?!?!?

Yeah, that’s what I said too.

While I may never be able to get that surprise BFP I had wanted there is something that comes as a close second, a surprise job.

Well, it wasn’t that easy, let me explain.

Last July when I was on maternity leave I saw that a very coveted (government) employer was hiring for the first time in two years so I applied.  I got a call back and completed a phone interview.

Then I was invited to the office for three hours of testing including a personality test, a listening test, and a critical thinking exam.  They held testing twice weekly with about 25 people per session (read a lot of competition).  Thankfully, I passed.

Next, I had to write a brief essay based on a specific question.  Passed. A few weeks after that I was invited for a panel interview after which I had to do another test.

Finally, the first week of October (over two months later)  I was told I had passed the hiring threshold and would be put into a pool of qualified candidates until positions became available and a training session was scheduled (the job requires 20 weeks of training before you even start on the job).

I was so excited since I wasn’t even sure if there would be a position for me at my old job (they had restructured during my maternity leave).  I waited… and waited… and waited.

December came, and hearing nothing I went back to my old job.  Well, old organization, new position.  To be honest, by about February I completely forgot about it.  Then, out of the blue, I get a call that they want to hire me (pending reference checks).

HUH?!?!

Okay, I guess I said that.

I almost had a breakdown on the spot.  Of all the times this was not a good one.  With my mom being ill and not having baby sitting how could I take on a new job?  I can’t miss any time for 20 weeks during the training and it has different hours and different days than what I am working now.  Who would watch the kids?

I cried.

But as usual after sleeping on it I came up with a plan.  After much thought and discussion with Daddy we have decided that we will not let a very good long-term opportunity pass us by due to our short-term circumstances.  So, I have decided to leave the job I have been doing for six years, with tears in my eyes, and open a new door in a whole new and different career.

Yes, I am very scared, but I am also excited, and very scared (oh yeah, I said that).

It has a nine month probation which is a long time to be in limbo.  Also, apparently the training is very intense and even after class all day you have work to do at home at night which I am not sure when I will do that since I will get home at 6pm instead of 4pm and I will still be on my own with all the kids.

While I am nervous and I know there is risk involved,  I know I am good. I don’t stop until I am successful at everything I do.  Plus, I think I need a change. As one of my references said, I have out grown this place.

I guess this is where we get to the important part.  What does this mean for the blog?  Well, it means I will be on a break to start, but I don’t know if I will ever be able to return.  For the next nine months I will need to put every ounce of energy I have into my kids, my new job and my family.

While I love blogging and all of you wonderful readers, I do put a lot of time into writing my posts, reading your posts, and everything in between and I am going to need that time back. I have three weeks left here at my old job to keep writing, and I am sure I will as my life is now completely chaos, but I wanted to share my good news/ bad news with you all.  I am sure you understand.

In just the week I have known the good news it’s amazing how much my outlook has changed.  I have a new challenge and something to look forward to.  I guess I didn’t realize how small my world had become until it got blown open again.  I am not worrying about my IF anymore, and I am so proud of myself to have achieved something so great.  It feels really good to be part of the elite.

It just goes to show that hard work does pay off, and that sometimes when things seem really low, something great might be just around the corner.

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children and expecting #4. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

50 thoughts on “Surprise! Your Getting A New Job!!!

1. Congratulations! I’ll miss you but I understand and I absolutely would be doing the same thing.

Posted by Heather C | May 2, 2014, 8:24 am
  2. Congratulations girl! This is do exciting! The process seemed so intense and I don’t know if I could’ve dealt with the stress…I am proud of you!

Posted by Elisha | May 2, 2014, 9:00 am
    • THanks! It was a little crazy, especially since back then the girls were still quite young and I was still breastfeeding etc. But nothing worth having comes easy and I am so glad it all worked out! Best wishes.

Posted by Shannon | May 3, 2014, 8:23 am
  3. Wow, congratulations… both for landing the job, and having the guts to accept it in spite of all the challenges it brings!!! And for deciding to forego blogging (which obviously you love!) while you focus on what is more important. I will certainly miss you… this is one of the few blogs I religiously follow…. but I totally understand. I hope you will find a few minutes once in a while to update us about how things are going… Good luck!

Posted by Sumitha (@afineparent) | May 2, 2014, 9:35 am
    • Thanks so much! It is a BIG change but one that I think was needed. I am so excited (and nervous). I remember writing a post lamenting that I had nothing to look forward to and no new challenges since battling IF and now here one fell right in my lap. Ironically the whole process even took almost 9 months! Cheers to you and you wonderful blog 🙂

Posted by Shannon | May 3, 2014, 8:22 am
  4. Congratulations!! Thank you so much for being such an encouraging voice to me as I have started this journey into the blogging world! I have enjoyed reading your posts immensely! I Pray Peace and Favor on you and your family as you all transition into this new stage in your lives!!
    Blessings!!
    vicki

Posted by vrein11 | May 2, 2014, 9:44 am
  5. At 54, I can safely say that life is full of experiences, good and bad. Experiences voluntarily taken and sometimes forced upon us. Whatever the future holds with this job, you have learned the lesson. Grow. Stretch. Risk. Learn. Love. Life. Kudos, I’m sure you’ll be back when the time is right.

Posted by Alison Pentland | May 2, 2014, 10:32 am
  6. Happy for you!! Congratulations.

Posted by kcg1974 | May 2, 2014, 10:45 am
  7. I will be sad not to see you in the blog world! But congratulations!! That is fabulous news, and sounds like it will be a fabulous new path for you and your family.

Posted by sparrow | May 2, 2014, 11:36 am
  8. Congrats and good luck

Posted by Marissa Bergen | May 2, 2014, 11:42 am
  9. I’ve been enjoying your blog since I came across it and will miss reading your updates. Congratulations and good luck!

Posted by apotts31 | May 2, 2014, 12:10 pm
  10. Congratulations!! I, like so many others, am going to miss reading your blog. But I am so amazingly happy for you. Best of luck at the new job, although I’m sure you’ll rock it!

Posted by MommaNeedsCoffee | May 2, 2014, 12:25 pm
    • Thanks! You know I do love a challenge. I feel so special to have such an “elite” job. I will definitely miss working for a non-profit and all the animals but this is a new chapter. Best wishes to you when you new little one comes and good luck!

Posted by Shannon | May 3, 2014, 8:18 am
  11. Congrats Shannon! Don’t worry about us, we will be here whenever you get the time to blog. All the best!

Posted by The Vanilla Housewife | May 2, 2014, 1:02 pm
  12. Congratulations! Yes, you have to prioritise in life, and that sounds like a great opportunity that needs to go near the top. Good luck and all the best (I’m sure we’ll hear from you a bit after this… but I might not get another chance to say it).

Posted by Bronwyn Joy @ Journeys Of The Fabulist | May 2, 2014, 1:07 pm
  13. Congrats and good luck! I hope you stop by on occasion to tell us how you are doing!

Posted by gracecharm | May 2, 2014, 1:46 pm
  14. Congrats and good luck to you! Sometimes the scariest changes lead to the greatest things 🙂

Posted by Mom Life Blue Wife | May 2, 2014, 2:04 pm
  15. Congratulations Shannon! this is the best part “we have decided that we will not let a very good long-term opportunity pass us by due to our short-term circumstances”.

GoodLUCK!

Posted by mrspunkandpretty | May 2, 2014, 4:18 pm
  16. Congrats Shannon! May I ask what your new role will be? You are so fabulous, and it’s been awesome reading your blog. While I’m sad that you won’t be able to post as much, I am very excited for you and your new opportunity!

Posted by mamaetmaman | May 2, 2014, 4:54 pm
    • Thanks so much! I don’t want to say in the public sphere but it is provincial and the head office is on Front street. I will definitely miss working for a non profit and helping the animals, but I have to put my family first and this is pretty much the only job that could have ever lured me away! I will miss you, I will try to stop in for good news 😉

Posted by Shannon | May 3, 2014, 7:59 am
  17. Congratulations!! I do hope that you continue to blog, even if not as much just to keep everyone in the loop. I know you are going to do great with your new job.

Posted by Eventual Momma | May 2, 2014, 5:05 pm
  18. Congratulations and good luck!

Posted by Sarah | May 2, 2014, 5:27 pm
  19. What a lengthy interview process! It sounds so intense. Congratulations!

Posted by linbritt | May 2, 2014, 6:32 pm
  20. Congratulations, that’s great news for you! All the best!

Posted by Piper's Run | May 2, 2014, 6:34 pm
  21. Congrats! Exciting!

Posted by Tales of a Twin Mombie | May 2, 2014, 9:21 pm
  22. I’m going to miss you!! But I’m very happy for you getting this new and exciting job. 🙂 I hope you really love it.

Posted by journeyformybaby | May 2, 2014, 11:37 pm
  23. Congratulations! Wishing you all the best!

Posted by Cate Pane: The Clear Parent | May 2, 2014, 11:37 pm
  24. Congratulations on the new challenge! I hope you return to blogging at some point. Good luck

Posted by Kiri | May 3, 2014, 7:00 am