Ect., Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions, Top Tens/Lists

Top 10: What “Me Time” Is When You Have Three Kids

Oh how I remember the days when “me” time meant getting $1400 hair extensions, a new outfit, and going out partying all night or spending a day at the art gallery or museum lost in the exhibits or just wandering through the mall having fun.

While I don’t necessarily miss those days, things have definitely changed. Here is what me time means to me now.  Feel free to add your own in the comments section.

shopping1010. Grocery shopping with no children. Well you can hardly compare selecting cheese and picking bread to checking out the latest Louboutin shoes and picking up some new jewelry, it is a fun outing out of the house where I et to buy things (and not feel guilty about it) and enjoy an hour of uninterrupted thought as I ponder the weeks meals and the coupons I have to use.

bath109. Having a bath…my myself. That means no kids (or husband trying to crash either). I can make the water super hot like I like it and sit back and relax and wash my cares away…for hopefully ten full minutes.

Copyright Shannon Caulfield

Copyright Game of Diapers

8. Walking my dogs. Without Sawyer to watch and the double stroller to push, I can crank up my tunes and walk the trails I could never traverse with a stroller. I can breathe fresh air, marvel at the leaves, get lost in my thoughts, and even get some exercise all at once.

7. Going to Tim’s for a coffee by myself. To be able to buy a coffee and then drink it in peace will solve any problem that ails ya. Oh iced coffee how I love you.

6. Going to a movie. Yes, it’s a lame movie, and its a matinée or a Wednesday night, but it’s worth it. I used to see movies all the time and now I am lucky if I get to three a year. If I am really feeling special I will even treat myself to some dirty nacho chips with cheese and salsa (diet coke of course lol).

5. Nap time. It’s so lame but so awesome that sometimes when the girls are napping and Sawyer is watching cartoons I will catch a bit of (much-needed) shut-eye.

blog 104. Blogging. I love blogging and there is something to cathartic about being able to write about my life and to also help others with theirs…even if it means thumb typing on my smart phone while nursing a baby. Also enjoy reading other blogs and articles in my feedly as well, which is hard to do with two sets of hands grabbing at your tablet.

3. Doing my nails. After being a nail biter for over thirty years I have recently begun a fascination with my nails. I really enjoy the fifteen minutes I spend doing them and I feel so pretty and polished afterwards, even if it was a bit challenging to learn how to unbuckle the carseat or get Sawyer’s shoes on with them.

got2. Watching television that isn’t cartoons. Sometimes I feel like my head will explode if I have to watch another episode of Jake and the Neverland Pirates or that horribly acted Thomas the Train movie (the one with the real people in it, Alex Baldwin is one haha). I like Homeland and Breaking Bad, American Horror Story and of course Game of Thrones, none of which are child appropriate.

Copyright Game of Diapers

Halloween Fun in 2007

1. Time alone with my Fiancée. Since we have had three kids we have been alone together less times than you can count on one hand. I love him so much and it would be so nice to grab a drink or look at books or do anything without the kids. Such is life and our situation, but when the opportunity comes along I definitely appreciate it.

I wouldn’t trade em for the world, but sometimes you need some time away to appreciate what you have.

So what do you think? What’s your me time now that you are a parent?

Related Articles

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children and expecting #4. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

24 thoughts on “Top 10: What “Me Time” Is When You Have Three Kids

1. I think those sum it up. I also wake up earlier than my kids for me time. I stay in bed and normally just catch up on my phone but it’s still quiet and uninterrupted. I do 80% of these things too. 🙂

Posted by Heather C | May 12, 2014, 8:17 am
  2. I LOVE all of your ideas! I would add: reading a book without being interrupted, needlepointing without being interrupted and just plain staring off into space without being interrupted. I love being a mom, but we must remember to take care of ourselves! Excellent blog!

Posted by Cate Pane: The Clear Parent | May 12, 2014, 11:38 am
  3. My runs and blogging usually 🙂

Posted by Theresa | May 12, 2014, 11:54 am
  4. Target + Starbucks – Kid = Bliss

Posted by Mom Life Blue Wife | May 12, 2014, 1:35 pm
  5. When I can take a shower, without having my son toddle in and play peek-a-boo with me, it’s pure bliss!

Posted by mommytrainingwheels | May 12, 2014, 8:15 pm
  6. They all sound like great ‘me time’ activities. I remember those days well. Sometimes you craved nap time or the end of the day when the kids went to bed. It’s different once they are all at school, but there are still times when I need to get away from the hectic ness of every day life, so I try to get a weekend away, even if it’s just to visit my mum or sister. The train two hour train journey with only a book for company is bliss.

Posted by Nicola Young | May 13, 2014, 2:01 pm
    • Sounds great! I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like I just need a day off from “life”. You can call in sick at work but you can’t call in sick at home (and ironically sometimes I will go to work sick because its easier than staying home sick LOL). Thanks for sharing.

Posted by Shannon | May 14, 2014, 7:17 am
  7. Talking on the phone to family and friends since a lot of them live in the USA and I’m in Australia. I only get a short window of time to call them.

Posted by fromheretotherewithkids.com | May 13, 2014, 5:51 pm
  8. My me time? Riding in the car in complete silence, which happens almost never. But…Something that I thought as a kid was so “lame” but now I cherish.

Posted by iyaya10 | May 13, 2014, 10:33 pm
    • I guess I am lucky that my kids are young enough that even with all three in the car its just the sound of my music and the occasional comment from Sawyer like “look at the truck”. Guess there is something else I have to look forward too! LOL Thanks for sharing.

Posted by Shannon | May 14, 2014, 7:18 am
  9. whenever my son is with my mom, i try to squeeze in an hour or two at the spa to get a massage or a body scrub.. i used to do it once a week but when i became a mom, i try to squeeze it within the week after a busy day at work (if the spa is still open)… thank God for 24-hour spas in this side of the world. 🙂

Posted by liz | May 14, 2014, 8:20 am
  10. Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic list!

Posted by JenM | May 15, 2014, 10:52 pm
  11. My mom watches Sammy so I can go grocery shopping alone once a week. It’s awesome. I even love the drive there, blasting my music as loud as I want and rolling all the windows down. I used to hate grocery shopping and now I love it!

Posted by thingsheatherlearnedtoday | May 22, 2014, 11:11 pm
    • That’s great! I have alway the loved it but now shopping for five, worrying about sales and coupons it has become more of a chore. It is still way easier without the kids though! Thanks for sharing. Aren’t moms great? 🙂

Posted by Shannon | May 24, 2014, 9:03 am