Blogging Articles for Bloggers, The Thursday Review, What Do You Think?

What Do You Think: Purchasing a Domain Name for Your Baby

Today’s round table question is all about what you think about setting up your baby on Social media? How early is too early?

From purchasing their custom domain to setting up email and Twitter accounts parents are starting out as soon as they can to secure web space for their little ones.

In fact, GoDaddy.com has even caught on to this trend and is introducing new domains such as .family and .fun

As domain, email address, and other user names hey scooped up daily some parents claim it just makes sense to get them before their gone.

An idea that I liked was parents who set up and email for their child and then emailed letters and photos for them to read when they are older, like a sort of time capsule/scrapbook.

So what do you think? Is it a smart and responsible thing to do, or do some people just have too much time/ money on their hands? Would you do it and if so why?

Since we are all bloggers ourselves I think this is an interesting issue and I look forward to reading your comments.

19 thoughts on “What Do You Think: Purchasing a Domain Name for Your Baby

1. Very interesting! It does make sense because social media is here to stay but personally I may not follow the trend, I’ll let my kids figure out their usernames and domain name if they decide to be active online in the future. The email thing though sounds cool. ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted by The Vanilla Housewife | June 26, 2014, 8:00 am
  2. I have an email set up for my son. I’ve had it for him since we found out we were having a boy. I use it to send him stories and pics because I want him to know exactly what it was like when he was growing up. When he is older I will give him the log in info. Until then, it’s just for my use. No social media for him until he is older.

Posted by newlymama27 | June 26, 2014, 8:51 am
  3. I’m with NewlyMama27 on this. We’ve set up an gmail account for my daughter, but not the social media accounts (I didn’t even think of it!). I did try to get the domain with her name, but it wasn’t available. I like the idea of sending stories and photos to her email account, but have never got around to doing it. Instead, we use her email account to send out her birthday party invites and such. It’s forwarded to my email account for now, so it’s easy to monitor. Someday, if she wants to, she can take it over.

Posted by Sumitha (@afineparent) | June 26, 2014, 10:27 am
    • That sounds reasonable to me. There is so much to think about LOL I can’t even imagine what my childhood would have been like with social media. I was typing out my essays by typewriter in high school LOL

Posted by Shannon | June 26, 2014, 1:47 pm
  4. My SIL set up a twitter account for my niece in utero. It’s been a fun way to track the pregnancy and now that baby is 3 months old, it’s cute to see her develop from afar. I wouldn’t put any money into it though.

Posted by Heather C | June 26, 2014, 11:11 am
    • I think that’s cute. I think it’s a little creepy when people tweet updates in the voice of the baby though LOL. Their thoughts okay those can be funny. Thanks for commenting

Posted by Shannon | June 26, 2014, 1:48 pm
      • She’s done the whole thing from my nieces point of view. She only posts a couple times a week at most so it’s sweet and not overdone. Things like “What on earth was that sharp thing? OUCH. But look at me new bling bling bandaids!” from after her first shots, just silly stuff.

Posted by Heather C | June 26, 2014, 3:58 pm
      • Yeah that’s cute ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted by Shannon | June 26, 2014, 4:23 pm
  5. I like the email idea with the time capsule bit. The social media idea though sounds a bit weird but if done right could also be like a time capsule.

Posted by Fantasy Angel | June 26, 2014, 11:25 am
  6. Wow. I’ve never thought of it. Love the idea above about emailing to your child before they are born or while they are growing up. It’s like a secret online scrapbook.

Posted by Awaiting Autumn | June 26, 2014, 11:36 am
  7. I’ve heard the idea of doing the email thing, I do like that….Everything else sounds a bit odd to me.

Posted by Jen | June 26, 2014, 1:34 pm