Ect., Mommy Musings: Thoughts and Opinions, Twins/Toddler Tuesday

How did we become that Wal-Mart Family??

Image courtesy of the people of Wal-Mart

Everyone knows about “the people” you see at Wal-Mart. By “people” I mean those stereotypes perpatrated by Twitter and Facebook of moms in mumus with six kids she can’t control or the dad wearing a “wifebeater” (tight white tank) that isn’t so clean and does nothing to hide his beer gut.

Well last night I had a horrific moment when I realized that somehow I had become one of these people.

It was around 6:30pm. I just came home from work, we had finished feeding the kids and so we decided to do a Wal-Mart run. Usually I will order online but there was some furniture we wanted to look at. I knew it would be busy because of back to school shopping but I hoped that Monday night would still be better than a weekend day. And since I only have hubs 2 nights a week it was our only day to go.

The twins were fed, changed, had fresh bottles, Sawyer was clean and went to the washroom. Check, check and check.

Then it started.

As soon as we got in the door Sawyer had a meltdown because he wanted to push the cart and he is too small. We offered to let him push it with daddy’s help but that wasn’t good enough.

Of course I tried to remain calm as he started yelling and screaming amongst the crowd of people but we had just gotten there! Finally daddy and I both told him we were going home and we almost did it. Finally, in the parking lot he relented and we agreed we would start again fresh.

We got the furniture okay and split up to get our random various things. Next thing I knew I was crawling on the ground picking up the four shoes and two bottles the twins were hurling about. Not to mention the fact that I was constantly bumping into stuff as the umbrella stroller is very hard to steer and the store was so crowded.

Then June started wailing. Don’t know why because it’s totally not like her but she was just losing it.  Of course, out of solidarity Sansa decided to join in leaving me walking around the store with a grumpy four year old and two screaming twins.

Finally we made it to the cash, both mentally and physically exhausted to begin our wait in line. To my horror I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. Turns out this whole time I had a brown stain of something (who knows what) down the back of my dress.

I looked over at the kids. The girls were still screaming because they wanted to get out of the stroller and walk and Sawyer , greasy from crying had now peed his pants (which he never ever does).

And that’s how a perfectly good mother with usually perfectly good kids became “that” family.

Luckily Wal-Mart is a zoo anyways so it’s not like we stood out terribly but I can tell you I was terribly embarrassed and I don’t generally care what other people think. Maybe it was because usually I have three kids by myself and we are fine so with two adults I had much higher expectations.

So the next time you see that Wal-Mart Family don’t look down your nose at them or laugh under your breath because you never know. One day that just may be you.

19 thoughts on “How did we become that Wal-Mart Family??

1. You are so right! We never know what’s going on with anyone around us but we still make quick judgements and it’s completely unfair. I’m sorry your trip was so horrible. I’ve definitely been there. Sometimes the odds are just against us completely when it comes to going out with small kids.

Posted by Heather C | August 26, 2014, 7:24 am
    • Thanks! It was such a chance event. Plus, like I said when it’s just me (which is 90% of the time) I think I care less because hey there is one of me and three of them. But with two parents??? Anyways, as you are a fellow mom of three including twins thanks so much for your understanding and validation. Have a great day and cheers to online shopping 😉

Posted by Shannon | August 26, 2014, 7:33 am
  2. Nothing like motherhood to teach one humility! 😉 Been there myself!

Posted by Victo Dolore | August 26, 2014, 7:33 am
  3. Every day brings new adventures, tough to stay calm.

Posted by Boeta | August 26, 2014, 7:50 am
  4. Its so much fun to be the mommy in those times isn’t it??!! hehe…. At least you have a good story to tell now!!

Posted by vrein11 | August 26, 2014, 9:20 am
  5. Awww… Here’s something to still pat yourself on the back about… you’re not wimps like us! If we ever need to run to the store on weekdays, one of us watches the kid at home while the other shops. And that with just one kid. You ventured out with 3 kids, and brought them all back safe and sound. What’s a little brown stain and a little bit of crying. So hold your head high and declare proudly “we did it!” – in our household, you’d be a hero 🙂

Posted by Sumitha | August 26, 2014, 9:54 am
  6. It is definitely easy to judge others, but it’s a good thing to remind ourselves that we don’t have the whole picture behind the scene we’re witnessing. Even the best of parents have crappy days/outings.

Posted by mommytrainingwheels | August 26, 2014, 10:01 am
  7. Did you ever figure out what that brown stain was from? Lol

Posted by mamaetmaman | August 26, 2014, 11:19 am
  8. Oh my goodness I absolutely agree! Just one bad day. That’s all it takes, and you could be just about *anyone*.

Posted by Bronwyn Joy @ Journeys Of The Fabulist | August 26, 2014, 1:15 pm
  9. Thanks for sharing this!! lol I laughed out loud (hope that doesn’t offend you!) cause I can absolutely picture it! It’s true, that will probably be me someday too. The joys of parenting!

Posted by Tales of a Twin Mombie | August 26, 2014, 7:58 pm
  10. I’ve learned to let things go- reason being I too was so embarrassed all the time & it doesnt pay. Now when they baby throws a tantrum in a restaurant, I am trying to teach him not to..but I cannot just “give in”-i remind him it doesn’t bother me it’s everyone else upset.

We too have become that family-however I ❤ my family and know that it's okay some days 🙂 Great blog.

Posted by iamafostermom | August 26, 2014, 8:58 pm