Ect.

Happy Family Day Weekend!

This is how it feels in Ontario right now.

This is how it feels in Ontario right now.

For those of you who don’t live in Ontario, you are probably thinking, what the heck is she talking about, every day is family day.  However, where I live we actually have a statutory holiday this Monday February 16th called Family Day.

Ah Family Day, Ontario’s favourite fake holiday. It’s only been around since 2008, but the statutory holiday in 2015 gives many in Canada’s most populous province a long weekend right in the heart of winter.

To quote the Ontario government’s own FAQ on Family Day, “The time between New Year’s Day and Easter is long and people need a rest.”

In 2015, Family Day will fall on Feb. 16 and like last year the holiday means that many businesses will be closed.  It is actually an extra long weekend around here because in Toronto February 13, 2015 is a PA day for public schools and then of course Saturday February 14, 2015 is Valentines Day.

Government offices, banks and most grocery stores will be closed this Family Day. Large malls, like Toronto’s Eaton Centre will be open.

Look for special deals and events for attractions such as the Toronto Zoo, the Royal Ontario Museum, the Art Gallery of Ontario and many others.  It may be winter but there is lots to do indoors.

If outdoor activities are more your style, Ontario’s provincial parks are also hosting Family Day events. Go looking for owls at the Pinery on Lake Huron or get away from city lights and see the night sky the way it was meant to be seen in Killarney Park.

If you have friends or relatives in Alberta or Saskatchewan they’ll be celebrating the ‘holiday’ with you. While those in Manitoba celebrate Louis Riel Day and those on Prince Edward Island celebrate Islander Day.

It’s important to note that British Columbians celebrate their Family Day a week earlier.

I Hope Everyone Has  Great Day (holiday or not).

I am a university educated full-time working mother of three children and expecting #4. Proudly Canadian, I freeze my butt off along with my loving partner, two dogs and a cat. I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I love writing them, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

12 thoughts on “Happy Family Day Weekend!

1. I think this weekend is the weekend I most miss living in Manitoba! Now we’re in NB and there is no holiday. 😦
    I hope you and your family enjoy your long weekend!! 🙂

Posted by MommaNeedsCoffee | February 15, 2014, 8:20 am
    • I work weekends and while I have Monday off, hubs is working 😦 ahh well, every day is family day right? I hope you enjoy your weekend.

Posted by Shannon | February 15, 2014, 9:30 am
      • This year I am back in Manitoba and looking forward to doing some activities on Monday with the kids! There are places that are offering free admissions/special prices for Louis Riel Day! I am excited! Have a great weekend! I hope you and hubs both got Monday off this year!

Posted by MommaNeedsCoffee | February 13, 2015, 8:26 pm
      • Have fun! There is lots of free stuff in Toronto too but i tend to shy away because they are just too busy! Lol Hope you have lots of fun with your crew amd thanks we have the whole weekend together and are in Montreal 🙂

Posted by Shannon | February 14, 2015, 4:10 pm
  2. Awesome! America needs this! 🙂

Posted by journeyformybaby | February 15, 2014, 11:30 pm
  3. we are hosting a jug curling tournament in our back yard to celebrate the long weekend. -33 here this morning though, so a bit of a rough start. we don’t have a PD day like you do, but our buses were cancelled due to extreme cold, so many kids get the day off anyway. Happy Family Day from North Bay Ontario!!

Posted by dodgepoe | February 13, 2015, 9:41 am
  4. This would be really nice if not just for an extra day off but basically just an emphasis on family. I feel like so many people have warped priorities these days. Enjoy!

Posted by Princess Mommy | February 13, 2015, 1:09 pm