Ect., Helpful Tips/Advice/Recipes, Twins/Toddler Tuesday

Why the F@$k won’t you eat?!?

The remnants if a dinner no one would eat. Caesar salad, veggie stew and the pizza bun I broke down and gave my son.

It’s 6:00pm. I just walked in the door for work. my parents are throwing information at me as they run out the door. The kids are hungry. One twin wants snack, the other a juice box and my son wants to watch cartoons.
“No snacks guys” I sigh. “Mamma’s gonna make you a dinner”.
I run around the kitchen frantically throwing something together.

Twenty minutes later I call them to eat. One twin comes and eats a few spoonfuls. The other sits there and looks at me as if I just gave her a plate of mud and my son screams “I want to watch peg plus cat!!!”.
“Come on sweetie” I coax Sansa. “Please eat something”.
“Good job June” I say in an enthusiastic tone.
“Get away!” I scream at the dogs as I walk to the living room.
“Sawyer you need to come and eat now. We eat as a family and we go through this everyday.”
“I’m not hungry” he says stubbornly.
“Well that’s fine but I am turning off the television. Plus if you want to watch octonauts you need to eat now.”
(My kids actually watch very little television but it just so happens that his two favourite shows air at dinner time).

We fight some more and I silently consider throwing the tv out the window (we already cancelled the cable). He finally comes in begrudgingly. By now, Sansa has left the table with an empty belly probably planning to raid the pantry in an hour and poor June just eats silently among the raucous.

This is not a bad day. This is every day. It doesn’t matter if I make one meal or three made to order. Whether I make something they have never had or even something they liked the last time I made it.

What I wouldn’t give to just sit down with the kids and have a nice meal (in case you were wondering, hubs is at work).

Honestly I am at a loss. I have tried bribery, begging, reinforcing good behaviour, but nothing works.  All my kids ever seem to want to eat is snacks and never proper food. I do my best to buy lots of healthy fruits and veggies for easy munching but I am sorry, a banana is not dinner. Or my son’s excuse for breakfast and lunch. A plain piece of bread, from the bag, with nothing on it.

Let’s face it, I am not a very good cook and I know it. So when I actually do put in the effort not only am I disappointed, I am emotionally hurt because they won’t eat the food I have lovingly prepared for them.

It also hits a nerve because one of my pet peeves is wasting food. When they specifically ask for something and then don’t eat it, I can feel the anger burning inside.

I have read any books and I know picky eaters is something I am sure everyone faces but this “phase” has been around for many months now and I am just so discouraged so I am blogging. If you face something similar you are not alone. If you have any tips or tricks for me, please, do tell in the comments section.

In the meantime I am going to go eat all the kids leftovers before the dogs do.

My daughter June enjoying her salad. At least she eats.

18 thoughts on “Why the F@$k won’t you eat?!?

1. My ob has two kids and has said, as an honest doctor and mom, kids eat however many things they are in years (i.e. a three year old eats three things). Even the most well exposed babies go through toddler food ruts (at least that’s what I tell myself). Goldfish crackers and milk count as a meal, right? I hope you make it through the meal time madness, mama. We’re all in the same boat at some point or another!

Posted by mombieconfessions | January 27, 2015, 8:59 am
    • Thanks so much for sharing that and for your kind words. Actually, just yesterday everyone ate together and had a nice meal even though i had to make some last minute substutions. 🙂 have a great day.

Posted by Shannon | January 27, 2015, 9:39 am
  2. My toddler has refused to eat on a few occasions, though he is by no means a picky eater. My partner and I share the opinion that he won’t let himself starve to death. If he doesn’t want to eat his supper (or lunch, or breakfast) it’s fine with us, but he doesn’t eat until the next meal. He knows that his plate stays on the table until we (his father and I) are done eating and that after that, everything disappears from the table, his plate included. He generally eats very enthusiastically during the next meal. The only exception, is when he is sick. But, there are many rules that we break when the toddler is sick.

I hope this phase ends soon, a hectic supper is not a good way to finish off a day.

Posted by mommytrainingwheels | January 27, 2015, 9:54 am
    • Thanks! I can handle one picky eater but three is a bit overwhelming at times! An my son is very tall and thin and i do worry he doesn’t eat enough and that he will starve (when he was really sick after only a couple of days he looked like a skeleton!). Cheers!

Posted by Shannon | January 27, 2015, 10:02 am
  3. I am also a firm believer in if they don’t eat their meals, they don’t get snacks. I also use the 2 bite rule with daycare. It’s harder with the 1 yr olds, but once they can understand what you’re saying, they have to try 2 bites of everything. If they want more of something, then they need to eat everything on their plate first. This way I can make sure they are at least get a little variety. I don’t put a ton of food on their plates so I know they can handle it, lol.

Posted by ourgreatestdesire | January 27, 2015, 11:29 am
    • That’s a good rule. Everything must be at least tried in our house as well. I know i can’t tell my kids what to like and not like, it’s so frustrsting when they eat it one day and not the next! Have a great day 🙂

Posted by Shannon | January 27, 2015, 11:45 am
  4. smoothies and muffins are a staple in my house. Not the sugar filled treat type muffins though. I make pancake muffins, oatmeal muffins, fruit muffins, pizza muffins, corn dog muffins, french toast muffins, banana muffins, etc etc. Turns out my kids will eat anything if it looks like a smoothie or a muffin. it helps with the food ruts. Also my Dr told us its normal for kids to skip one meal a day. I differ in the opinion of no meal, no snack though. My kids can still snack if they skip a meal, they are just limited in what their snacks can be. (no treats, just fruits, veggies, yogurt etc) Good luck! I hope you find something that easing the stress for you!

Posted by MommaNeedsCoffee | January 27, 2015, 12:04 pm
    • Lol that’s funny. The great thing about muffins is they are easy to eat on the go too. Its tough, i only give my kids healthy snacks too but to me grapes and yoghurt are not dinner. Plus i have read several studies about the importance of sitting together for a family meal and that gets lost when they just snack. I do agree though that little ones have little bellies and therefore need more small meals (or snacks) than grown ups. I will have to try the muffin idea. Thanks so much!

Posted by Shannon | January 27, 2015, 12:43 pm
  5. My three year old is super picky. He will only eat visibly pleasing meals that he approves. I spoke with his doctor because I was concerned and she asked me what will he eat without a fight. I keep blueberries, corn on the cob, squeezable fruit pouches, fresh fruit, cheese sticks, and yogurt readly available. I’m just glad that it’s healthy deviations instead of candy and chips.

Posted by prudencevwhittaker | January 27, 2015, 9:05 pm
  6. I can relate so well to this! My baby who would eat EVERYTHING and wasn’t picky at all, has hit toddlerhood and changed completely. It sucks. 😦 I worry that he isn’t eating enough. I know that he isn’t eating enough. But what can I do?

Posted by journeyformybaby | January 28, 2015, 1:55 pm
  7. Story of my life! I have one who is soooo picky! Like yours, one day he loves something and the next day he hates it! It makes mealtime quite annoying if I’m being honest! Micah will try new things at least but Josiah is extremely stubborn. I keep checking Pinterest for creative ideas on how to feed my child but I end up in a rut! Thanks for your honesty!

Posted by Tales of a Twin Mombie | January 29, 2015, 8:54 pm
  8. I found that mine are more inclined to try new foods if they are on my plate instead of theirs. It is the same stuff that’s on your plates, kids. This is mommy’s dinner. Mommy’s. Do you want mommy to go hungry? You do? Aren’t you a love. Fine. I’ll share if it will mean you will eat your dinner. Now, please pass mommy your plate.

Actually, it took my elder son cheerleading to finally convince my younger that there was more to life than mac n’ cheese. We put up a goal chart on the fridge. If they ate their food or at least tried the minimum of bites, they got a check mark. After so many check marks they got a reward. My youngest couldn’t care less about the chart when we first brought it out, but my eldest sure did and my youngest just wants to please his brother.

Posted by Allie P. | May 20, 2016, 8:51 am
    • That’s great thanks for sharing! My kids have reward charts and finishing dinner is on there also but it doesn’t seem to help. Mostly right now it’s my one daughter who just refuses to eat and makes trouble during dinner time. My kids love mac and cheese too! Have a great weekend 😊

Posted by Shannon | May 20, 2016, 9:03 am
      • I sympathize with you. Dinner is one of my least favorite times of the day for the same reason. So very stressful.

Posted by Allie P. | May 20, 2016, 9:32 am

1. Pingback: My ever increasing grocery bill | A Game of Diapers - February 23, 2015